Author Topic: Long Island RR Worker Made Over $400000  (Read 1699 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Long Island RR Worker Made Over $400000
« on: July 10, 2019, 07:42:23 »
Ghost worker busted. He made over $400000 of which $295000 was OT. All good things must end but the story takes a sad twist for tax payers - he was allowed to retire with his pension !!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/lirr-worker-who-hung-out-at-home-on-the-clock-to-retire-without-punishment-collect-full-pension-report

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Long Island RR Worker Made Over $400000
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 10:55:26 »
- he was allowed to retire with his pension !!

I'm not a US - Canada pension expert. But, he had been an LIRR employee since 1996.

And, according to the LIRR,

In the event of termination, all participants will become fully vested to the extent of their then accrued benefits based on
their compensation and service up to the date of termination.
http://web.mta.info/mta/budget/pdf/pandb/LIRR%20Company%20Plan%20for%20Additional%20Pensions.pdf

Being vested means you are entitled to receive a pension benefit equal to the value of your individual defined contribution account. This includes the contributions you have made (if any), and your employer's contributions, plus the interest or investment return credited to the contributions.
https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/pensions/pension-plan-guide/pages/HRPPW-Vesting-and-Locking-in-of-Pension-Benenfits.html

This came up with the dismissal of FBI Deputy Director McCabe,

No, Andrew McCabe isn't "Losing his pension"
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ebauer/2018/03/17/no-andrew-mccabe-isnt-losing-his-pension/#42c81977236d
Pensions -- public as well as private -- are required to meet certain vesting requirements, and, in fact, the FERS (Federal Employees Retirement System) benefits vest at five years, meaning that benefit accruals cannot be taken away.

Here in Canada,

The Canadian Forces cannot remove Colonel Wxxxxx pension.  The Canadian Forces Superannuation Act determines a member’s pension entitlement upon release. Entitlements are calculated based on years of service and earnings, and are not affected by the type of release from the military, whether he is convicted by a civilian court or a military court martial or the sentence.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/news/article.page?doc=clarification-regarding-the-military-justice-system-and-military-pension/hnps1uyo

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 12:30:21 »
Except he was guilty of fraud. Clocking in and not actually working is not permitted or else more would try it. I have seen this happen in local government. I suspect lax supervision or none at all is necessary for someone to pull this off.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 12:37:38 »
Except he was guilty of fraud.

Was he convicted, or even charged with fraud?

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 15:13:16 »
. . .  Clocking in and not actually working . . .

Sounds a lot like my early years in the army.  Lots of time in the coffee room playing shooter (a variation of euchre).
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 15:21:16 »
Not so for me. Work in the AM and by noon we were done for the day. ;D

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 15:27:52 »
Sounds like buddy punching.

Apparently they don't like the high tech biometric fingerprint scanning time-clocks. Someone is cutting the cables.
https://nypost.com/2019/06/05/saboteur-cuts-wire-on-fingerprint-machine-fighting-lirr-overtime-abuse/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 16:16:01 by mariomike »

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 16:16:45 »
Sounds like they were buddy punching.

Apparently they don't like the high tech biometric fingerprint scanning time-clocks. Someone is cutting the cables.
https://nypost.com/2019/06/05/saboteur-cuts-wire-on-fingerprint-machine-fighting-lirr-overtime-abuse/

I think you are right Mario.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 16:22:45 »
Probably been going on since punch clocks were invented.  :)

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 16:24:36 »
A quick google-fu shows there may be a broader issue than just this guy - this from just a few weeks back …
Last week, after The Post exposed the Long Island Rail Road’s overtime scandal, Metropolitan Transportation Authority chief Pat Foye announced a crackdown: The LIRR and the MTA’s other agencies must investigate whether a track worker really worked 16 hours a day for an entire year straight, for example.

A crackdown is laudable, but it’s not enough: The bigger problem is the union contracts that workers expertly exploit.

The LIRR racked up $225 million in OT last year, according to the Empire Center — consuming nearly a third of the $740 million in fares Long Island commuters pay. Put another way, without this burden, the average commuter riding from Huntington to Penn Station every day could pay $253, not $363.

Insane overtime rules are effectively taking a restaurant meal each month away from harried — and lower-paid — private-sector workers. Fraud needs policing and punishment, but the rules encourage fraud.

What are the rules that drive up overtime? To start, LIRR managers are hamstrung by nearly a dozen separate union contracts, the longest of which is 128 pages ...
… leading to this:
The MTA is planning to use its police force to take attendance and monitor Long Island Rail Road employees’ use of overtime, correspondence obtained Wednesday by the Daily News revealed.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is hoping the cops can cap LIRR workers’ overtime to keep figures from soaring well above six figures.

Anthony Simon, chairman of a union that represents LIRR workers, wrote in a May 8 letter to MTA Chairman Pat Foye that he has “serious concerns” about the decision.

“These officers belong out in public fighting crime, combating fare evasion and serving the riding public, not going through the motions of observing employee attendance behaviors,” Simon wrote. “This is a waste of police resources and puts our entire system at risk.” ...
Issue seems to go back a bit:
Seven of eight MTA employees who made more than $200,000 in overtime (in 2016) worked for the Long Island Rail Road, including one track foreman who was paid a total of nearly $361,000 in a single year, according to a new report.

The data, compiled by the Albany-based think tank the Empire Center for Public Policy and released Monday, reveals that the MTA’s top earner in 2016, Ralph Golden, made $256,155 in overtime — more than tripling his base salary of $104,822 ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 16:49:13 »
Except he was guilty of fraud. Clocking in and not actually working is not permitted or else more would try it. I have seen this happen in local government. I suspect lax supervision or none at all is necessary for someone to pull this off.

I work on the railroads.

I am sitting at the rockford restaurant in PG.

On Pay.

Legally, fully entitled to sit here for up to 4 hours eating.

On pay.

Because my situation and scenario permits it. You lift some heavy accusations, i could see no rulings regarding those accusations.

Since last October i have been paid roughly, $40,000 CAD to sit on my rear end at home...

I think more to this story exists.. maybe the agreements changed and he was working off the old ones...

Id like to see the facts.

Abdullah

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 17:10:59 »
I work on the railroads.

I am sitting at the rockford restaurant in PG.

On Pay.

On pay.

Because my situation and scenario permits it. You lift some heavy accusations, i could see no rulings regarding those accusations.

Since last October i have been paid roughly, $40,000 CAD to sit on my rear end at home...

I think more to this story exists.. maybe the agreements changed and he was working off the old ones...

Id like to see the facts.

Abdullah

My father , and his father, were both members of The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers. That's the oldest labor organization in North America. The pay system looked pretty complicated.

My best paychecks were during SARS on "Working Quarantine".

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 18:37:11 »
Union contracts I am sure are a problem. Workers can game the system expertly. File grievance then the union rep goes to work.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 18:52:06 by mariomike »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 18:45:34 »
Union contracts I am sure are a problem.

Buddy punching is a concern in both union and non-union workplaces.

Only difference is the union will send a rep to hold your hand when they terminate you. Same result.

Nobody "gamed the system" during working quarantine. That's the way the collective agreement is written.

Toronto police, fire and paramedics have been unionized since 1918.

Sorry, T6. I accidentally typed my reply to you in your quote box. I removed it to my own.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 21:00:08 by mariomike »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 18:56:21 »
Quote from: AbdullahD

Do you want to get fat? Because that's how you get fat.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 02:26:10 »
Union contracts I am sure are a problem. Workers can game the system expertly. File grievance then the union rep goes to work.

Union agreements do go to far in some situations, but generally at least up here are a response to employees being violated by managers.

I am generally anti-union, but on the railroad, I see a real need for them at least up here in Canada and from everyone I talk to the situation for employees in the USA is a lot worse.

If yall want I can try and download a copy of the 4.3 to here, so you can take a look at how comprehensive it is and at first blush it would seem the union has the upper hand, but in reality they do not. I'll just need to find a public source for it, just in case... also the company whining about having to work through multiple agreements etc etc etc a lot of times they do not care and just say "do it and grieve it" and a lot of "grievances" do not result in more pay (at least up here) or the managers only run into a few situations so they know what they can or can not do.

I'd like to see the unions response to these allegations, right now we have only seen at least me, so far, the companies opinion.

Or maybe I'm just a bit salty and whiny lol
Abdullah

P.s Jarn the manager I am working under has not made it possible for me to take a lunch break in the last 4 days.. so Ive been pulling 16 hr shifts, 8 hrs off and then back on for a bit now and no immediate end in site. So I used the "lunch break" as a way to get more rest, but generally I lose weight on the assignment I'm on now ;)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 03:38:53 »
US government workers are almost impossible to fire so we as managers had to get creative. Had a case where a civilian worker broke the rules so I wanted him gone, but the civilian personnel office said i couldnt. So I worked in an area that required a security clearance to work there , so i got his security clearance revoked. End result the worker was moved to a different office .

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2019, 10:05:00 »
16 hr shifts, 8 hrs off and then back on

Boy, do I remember those.  :) That was mandated OT. Not voluntary.

Even just in the last ten+ years since I retired, the union has made gains our generation never dreamed of,

Meal allowance, meal breaks, early and late call provisions, stress leave, presumptive legislation for PTSD, power stretchers and stair chairs, guaranteed car counts, early retirement, less physically demanding work for senior paramedics, etc...

Other than the Working Quarantine policy, we never had any of the above.

The idea of guaranteed job security is a myth.

An Ontario arbitrator upheld the dismissal of a Toronto paramedic after his judgment was called into question due to non-criminal,  off-duty conduct,
https://www.hrreporter.com/columnist/employment-law/archive/2013/04/22/professional-conduct-outside-of-profession/
"Certain jobs require a high level of skill and a high level of trust from both employers and the public. For employees working in those types of positions, it’s possible that off-duty behaviour can call into question that trust, if it demonstrates poor judgment. And if an employer no longer has confidence that an employee has the judgment to perform a job of high skill and responsibility, the result could be dismissal."

That's just one example. Posts on social media have been career suicide for others.

If you become a public disgrace, they will fire you.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 11:13:09 by mariomike »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 18:27:09 »

Where I worked, there was Call Back, Standby, and Call-in pay. It added up.

Also, for railway crews ( and certain other occupations ), for safety reasons, there are limits to the number of hours an employee can be required or allowed to work.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 15:42:48 »
The trucking industry in the US for safety require max hours allowed to work with mandatory rest periods.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 20:43:27 »
The trucking industry in the US for safety require max hours allowed to work with mandatory rest periods.

Ontario has "Hours of Service" legislation,

During the 24-hour period "day,” a driver cannot drive after having been on-duty more than 14 hours. During the 24-hour period "day,” a driver must be off-duty for 10 hours, which must include two hours that are not part of a mandatory off-duty period and are at least 30 minutes long.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/commercial-vehicle-operators-safety-manual/module-9.shtml

Speaking of the Long Island Rail Road, they put up suicide prevention posters at the stations with a contact number ...they eventually realised it was the wrong number and needed to come back and paste the right number on to the posters.  :)

Offline AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2019, 02:16:42 »
Also, for railway crews ( and certain other occupations ), for safety reasons, there are limits to the number of hours an employee can be required or allowed to work.

Generally.. yes... we are only allowed 12hrs a day. 60 hrs of work in any 7 day period, then forced 24 hrs off.

We are supposed to file rest, when we feel fatigued so we can get recrewed or put to bed for safety reasons.. instead of being forced to work our full 16 oops ill explain that in a sec.. but err 12 hrs.. guess how many times I've been recrewed or put to bed due to filing rest in my career lol.

But, all of this Does. Not. Matter. If you are on a work train, if you are on a worktrain you are good for 16hrs of duty, with 6hrs of rest for 10 days. Under what is called a fatigue management plan.. which the employees have no say in and can be changed, without input from said employees at any time. Also they can keep you on duty in excess of 16hrs, but just not operating equipment pass our 16th.

Changing of our fatigue management plans, working past my 16th hour, has happened more then I can count in my career so far. Ive had weeks were I'd average 19hrs on duty for 7 days straight.

It is one thing to sign up, to defend our country, our rights, liberties and way of life and deal with these issues of chronic fatigue. It is a completely different situation, as a civilian, being forced to work these hours.

Right now transport Canada is looking at fatigue in the railway industry and coming out with new work, rest, rules. I hope, sincerely, that the unions and individual employees have made their concerns known and they get addressed. But sadly, many railway employees feel that will not happen.

Also speaking to suicides, a buddy, well more of an acquaintance at work comitted suicide a couple months back.. their is a very serious issue of mental health problems on the railway, which sadly, has not been or does not seem to be getting discussed. The chap we lost, was a damned fine fellow and a damned good railroader, helped train me as a conductor, I owed him a lot. Then another buddy died in a work place accident, then in my opinion I nearly killed a veteran at work because, actually screw it. Any rate yeah. Railroaders, kids with money who were never taught to manage it, divorce, debt and drugs are rampant at least here.. what do you expect when you give a kid a 6 digit a year job.

I can't wait till the rest rules come in, sincerely. I may actually make my kids birthdays next year, hell maybe even get to do the school events too.

Everyone needs a pipedream.
Abdullah

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2019, 11:55:54 »
It is a completely different situation, as a civilian, being forced to work these hours.

It's a matter of public safety. Take Larry Krupa, for example. Mississauga, 1979.

The derailment also ruptured several other tankers, spilling styrene, toluene, propane, caustic soda, and chlorine onto the tracks and into the air. A huge explosion resulted, sending a fireball 1,500 m (5,000 ft) into the sky which could be seen from 100 km (60 mi) away. As the flames were erupting, the train's brakeman, Larry Krupa, 27, at the suggestion of the engineer (also his father-in-law), managed to close an air brake angle spigot at the west end of the undamaged 32nd car, allowing the engineer to release the air brakes between the locomotives and the derailed cars and move the front part of the train eastward along the tracks, away from danger. This prevented those cars from becoming involved in the fire, important as many of them also contained dangerous goods. Mr. Krupa was later recommended for the Order of Canada for his bravery, which a later writer has described as "bordering on lunacy."
Train Wreck: The Forensics of Rail Disasters

All I know for sure is that my father, and his father, loved being Locomotive Engineers with CNR / VIA on high speed passenger trains. Dad must have loved it. Worked there from age 20 to 65. Soon as he got his discharge from the RCN in 1946.

The plan was for me to join too. But, in my last year of high school a new TV show came out. It was called "Emergency!". It was about Los Angeles paramedics. It looked like a job with a future, exciting, and far from routine. No regrets. But, whenever I hear a train, a part of me wishes I was running it.  :)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 13:14:23 by mariomike »