Author Topic: Temporary Topic Questions  (Read 982 times)

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Temporary Topic Questions
« on: November 01, 2018, 10:05:43 »
Not sure if this is the best place to pout this, but I could find a better thread, and I feel this needs to be an open conversation, instead of a DM.

This has to do with the recent locking of the CSC thread. In short: What. The. Heck?

Perhaps you guys just need to provide some more context; have you been receiving official correspondence from journalists that has caused you to worry about potential legal and/or PA ramifications?

Because I can't fathom why on earth discussing the CSC project could possibly be an off-limits topic... I don't even know where to begin! How can you censor discussion on such an important and interesting subject? We're not discussing an individual here, who might experience personal offence to our discussion, we're talking about a major Canadian/RCN procurement project. We haven't even scratched the SURFACE of what we could discuss about the CSC!

What's more, the only reasoning/context that was provided was that journalists can't tell who is active, retired or civilian on that site. Well, if that's a reason to lock a thread, then you'd better go an lock EVERY thread on this site!

So again, perhaps we're just missing something here, because, WTH?
+300
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline JesseWZ

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
Re: Temporary Topic Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 10:16:03 »
Perhaps you missed this part of the staff post?

"In light of the ongoing sensitive negotiations, the forums respect the suggestion and will lock the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) topic.
There continues to be ample material to discuss the AOPS and CCG ship building strategies in their respective threads."
I will be seen and not heard... I will be seen and not heard... I will be seen and not heard...

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 10:23:28 »
Perhaps you missed this part of the staff post?

"In light of the ongoing sensitive negotiations, the forums respect the suggestion and will lock the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) topic.
There continues to be ample material to discuss the AOPS and CCG ship building strategies in their respective threads."

Yes, and I don't see them locking the F-35 thread.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 10:36:41 »
Not sure if this is the best place to pout this, but I could find a better thread, and I feel this needs to be an open conversation, instead of a DM.
So then start your own thread.  Why do so many people seem to feel that if they cannot find an existing thread on their idea that it is best stomp on the ideas in another thread by high jacking the whole thread with their tangent?  I am sure you feel your ideas are more important than the message the moderators have been trying to communicate in this thread, but it would still be polite not to burry the existing conversation with something off-topic.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 11:38:51 »
So then start your own thread.  Why do so many people seem to feel that if they cannot find an existing thread on their idea that it is best stomp on the ideas in another thread by high jacking the whole thread with their tangent?  I am sure you feel your ideas are more important than the message the moderators have been trying to communicate in this thread, but it would still be polite not to burry the existing conversation with something off-topic.

1. The thread was called "Tone and CONTENT on Army.ca" (emphasis mine). Excuse me for thinking a discussion about content was an inappropriate spot for a question about content.

2. The last post was on September 3rd. How is that high jacking a whole thread?

3. With someone with as much time on this site as you, I'm surprised you feel that "Why do so many people seem to feel that if they cannot find an existing thread on their idea that it is best stomp on the ideas in another thread by high jacking the whole thread with their tangent?".

I think it's the exact opposite around here. Half the time someone new comes here and asks a question, the first response is (usually from MM, blessed be his name) that there is already a thread that deals with their question. Thus, an atmosphere is created here that you shouldn't just go and start your own thread for every question you have; rather, you should do you best to find an existing thread that fits your criteria. At least, that's been my take on the atmosphere here for the past 13 years that I've been a member, but what do I know. I've only got 10% of your posts.

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 13:35:21 »
1. The thread was called "Tone and CONTENT on Army.ca" (emphasis mine). Excuse me for thinking a discussion about content was an inappropriate spot for a question about content.
And if you read the thread, it was about the tone and content in users' posts.  You did not want to talk about that but rather you wanted to talk about why threads are locked.

2. The last post was on September 3rd. How is that high jacking a whole thread?
Necroposting something irrelevant to a thread is still a highjack. 

3. With someone with as much time on this site as you, I'm surprised you feel that "Why do so many people seem to feel that if they cannot find an existing thread on their idea that it is best stomp on the ideas in another thread by high jacking the whole thread with their tangent?".

I think it's the exact opposite around here. Half the time someone new comes here and asks a question, the first response is (usually from MM, blessed be his name) that there is already a thread that deals with their question. Thus, an atmosphere is created here that you shouldn't just go and start your own thread for every question you have; rather, you should do you best to find an existing thread that fits your criteria. At least, that's been my take on the atmosphere here for the past 13 years that I've been a member, but what do I know. I've only got 10% of your posts.
As you note, we like people to post in an existing thread when one exists on their topic.  But, if every person with a great new idea always dumps these in existing threads that share only the most tenuous of connections, then we are really working against our aims.  We want people to be able to search for topics, but they cannot do that if ideas are deeply buried in nebulous threads of only loosely related topics. It also generates a lot of noise as people start talking past each other on topics that never really were the same.

So let's there are two contrasting groups (amongst various other groups) where one group's members are the smartest people in the world and post things that "nobody" has ever thought of before when in fact we have at least one existing focused thread that covers the topics and already even contains overlapping arguments/counter-arguments.  The other group's members are the most important people in the world and they will enter a thread on topic A and, without consideration for what it does to the flow of conversation or searchability of the thread, they offer their brain dump on Topic B which they expect to now be the focus of discussion.

Anyway, I see the moderators have split your theme into its own thread.  If you are interested in debating when to start a new thread or when to jump into an existing thread, maybe we should take that to a new thread (you know, so we don't distract from the question you first asked and so others can find the discussion in the future).
+150

Offline gcclarke

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 14:25:14 »
I think this thread is a perfect example of why I don't bother coming to this site anymore. Unnecessary hostility, a proclivity to shutting down discussion, and to top it off a suggestion that a user should have been using a different thread to discuss the topic at hand, by providing a link to a thread that's been locked for more than a decade.

I really wish you all would learn to chill out once in a while, maybe try not to make the entire CAF look like a bunch of unhelpful, nitpicking micromanagers once in a while. Maybe, just maybe, try being welcoming and reasonably flexible once in a while.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.  Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘Press On’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
- Calvin Coolidge

Online AbdullahD

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 15:11:11 »
My opinion, so take it for what it is worth.

I think we as members of this site are over inflating our importance. Yes, many of you are recognized members of CAF in many different capacities. Maybe even members who have access to sensitive information, but this site is not a CAF site and any CAF member who wishes to speak with the authority of the CAF who is not authorized to do so on here.. does so at his own risk.

Yes, the media "may" come here possibly even looking for quotes to take out of context. But if they cant find healthy dialogue here, they will go somewhere else and find even more extreme dialogue and all this site has done is shut down a healthy conversation because of a worry they may be construed as CAF.

Other people elsewhere on the wide web are discussing this issue, so if our membership can do so in a respectful and sensitive manner why stop them?

But I'm not a lawyer, so I could be missing something.

My .02
Abdullah

Offline ontheedge

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 16:20:24 »
Abdullah they don’t make cents anymore. So your two cents are only worth the copper that’s in them. Which is trace.

Offline kratz

Fall: Sweater Weather.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 18:44:50 »
Complaining about how the site runs, but you don’t contribute?
I agree, when 5 posts in in 5 years and one complains about grievances that have changed 2 years ago.

Yes…
The site is privately owned, Not government and we all benefit from the freedom to post here.
The owner carriers 100% risk of any and all posts made. He has put money, emotions, family, effort, career and friendships on the line over the past 25 years of this site.

We responded and reversed the decision. Some felt the right to continue to take shots from the cheap seats. That’s a no go. Put up and be a positive member or move on.
+300
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 01:16:35 »
  If you are interested in debating when to start a new thread or when to jump into an existing thread, maybe we should take that to a new thread (you know, so we don't distract from the question you first asked and so others can find the discussion in the future).

Lol no.no.You win with this last statement; I chuckled. I will concede to your position.

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline gcclarke

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 07:57:15 »
Complaining about how the site runs, but you don’t contribute?
I agree, when 5 posts in in 5 years and one complains about grievances that have changed 2 years ago.

Yes…
The site is privately owned, Not government and we all benefit from the freedom to post here.
The owner carriers 100% risk of any and all posts made. He has put money, emotions, family, effort, career and friendships on the line over the past 25 years of this site.

We responded and reversed the decision. Some felt the right to continue to take shots from the cheap seats. That’s a no go. Put up and be a positive member or move on.

Allow me to reiterate: hostility and a proclivity to shut down discussion does not make this site seem welcoming in the least, casts the CAF as a whole in a poor light, and reduces the utility of the site as a whole for all, current and prospective members alike.

Yeah, I know that you're all privately owned and you're well within your rights to act that way, I'm just saying you shouldn't because it's making the place worse.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.  Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘Press On’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
- Calvin Coolidge

Offline JesseWZ

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 12:31:59 »
Allow me to reiterate: hostility and a proclivity to shut down discussion does not make this site seem welcoming in the least, casts the CAF as a whole in a poor light, and reduces the utility of the site as a whole for all, current and prospective members alike.

Yeah, I know that we're all privately owned and we're well within our rights to act that way, I'm just saying we shouldn't because it's making the place worse.

I fixed that for you. You're a member here too and despite not having many recent posts - are still a contributor. You don't get the privilege of standing on the outside casting stones.
I will be seen and not heard... I will be seen and not heard... I will be seen and not heard...

Offline runormal

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 23:40:21 »
I fixed that for you. You're a member here too and despite not having many recent posts - are still a contributor. You don't get the privilege of standing on the outside casting stones.

Ok hold on, a regular member can't shut down a discussion at "will". Which IMO I see happen a lot more often than I'd expect. There also seemed to be a lot of threads locked from mid to late 2000s for no reason so  other than age/activity. Thely time I've seen topics locked in other forums were for the following reasons:
- pinned "stickies"
- obvious trolling/spam
- viruses/keyloggers
- threads that turn into "flame wars"

I also don't buy we don't know who is who argument. How do you know that I'm still a coporal? Still Active in the P-Res?

For what's it worth, I am still both but even if  I was a MCpl or a Sgt I wouldn't bother updating my profile, because frankly who cares?