Author Topic: Joining The Infantry  (Read 986 times)

Offline Kai2644

• Rate Post
Joining The Infantry
« on: August 10, 2018, 00:27:25 »
Sorry if the answer to this can be found on another forum (if anybody could refer me to those forums) I am interested on joining the Canadian Armed Forces after High-School, I am looking to join the infantry and become an infantry soldier. I would like to know if there are any specific classes I should or need to take in high-school (I am im Quebec) to either have a better chance of being accepted more quickly into the infantry or just being accepted in general, I am interested in a full time job or joining the regular forces, thanks.

Offline Inspir

• Rate Post
Re: Joining The Infantry
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 02:16:28 »
English (or French) Language Arts and Mathmatics. More so to score an outstanding aptitude test score, that way you can qualify for infantry. And if down the road you want to switch trades you can switch to any trade you want.

Offline CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 04:35:47 »
When I was working in recruiting at my unit (ages ago) - one of the most common difficulties people had with the CFAT was the math portions.

It wasn't that the math is hard.  It's that after high school, you don't use specific math skills very often - or in my case, at all.  I don't remember needing to ever do calculus or algebra once I finished high school, or find the square root of X or find the Y of an isosceles triangle, etc.

I wouldn't say there is any specific class you should focus on more than others.  But keep in mind, most applicants (that I observed, anyway) really struggled with the math part...mostly because they had simply forgotten how to calculate certain types of answers.  Good spelling & grammar is important also, it's unbelievable how bad it is with the younger generation who has come to rely on spellcheck & autocorrect to fix their writing. 

My  :2c:     

Glad your interested in a career with the CF, wish you all the best :)
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 09:57:35 »
Agree with the advice given so far. I think it's a myth that you don't need good grades for Infantry, because in my experience the reverse is actually the truth. In addition, you're competing with everyone else for a spot, so the more qualified you are, the better your chances.

As previously stated - Language, language arts, and math, specifically algebra. To that I would add physics and history. The ability to read and write well, and to understand complex concepts, are core skills that will become more important the longer you serve, and the further you progress.

My only other piece of advice: have a plan B, and ensure you're situated for both plan A and B. It could take some time before you're actually in the door, so have a plan for something in the interim. You also need a plan if things don't work out for you.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 10:01:18 »
When I was working in recruiting at my unit (ages ago) - one of the most common difficulties people had with the CFAT was the math portions.

It wasn't that the math is hard.  It's that after high school, you don't use specific math skills very often - or in my case, at all.  I don't remember needing to ever do calculus or algebra once I finished high school, or find the square root of X or find the Y of an isosceles triangle, etc.

I wouldn't say there is any specific class you should focus on more than others.  But keep in mind, most applicants (that I observed, anyway) really struggled with the math part...mostly because they had simply forgotten how to calculate certain types of answers.  Good spelling & grammar is important also, it's unbelievable how bad it is with the younger generation who has come to rely on spellcheck & autocorrect to fix their writing. 

My  :2c:     

Glad your interested in a career with the CF, wish you all the best :)

I had to re-write my CFAF about a decade ago (originally wrote it in '88...with a pencil and paper  :o).  The math portion, I focused most of my 'review/refresh' on fractions and that helped me a lot.
Do I love my job?  No.

But does it afford me the ability to go on lavish vacations and buy anything I want?  Also no.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 10:32:48 »
Sorry if the answer to this can be found on another forum (if anybody could refer me to those forums) I am interested on joining the Canadian Armed Forces after High-School, I am looking to join the infantry and become an infantry soldier. I would like to know if there are any specific classes I should or need to take in high-school (I am im Quebec) to either have a better chance of being accepted more quickly into the infantry or just being accepted in general, I am interested in a full time job or joining the regular forces, thanks.

Take all the same courses you would as if you intended to go to University and do well in them. One of the biggest mistakes many people in the past have made is to assume they didn't need good grades or even to complete high school to join the Army.  Yes, many did join like that, but quite often they struggled because they didn't have good study skills to make the many hours the Army spends teaching and testing them an easy part of their service, or they lacked the self-discipline others gained through good scholastic performance that helped with the transition to meeting the demands of military life.

Good school grades increase your choices and opportunities, both within the military and afterward. Keep in mind that not everyone stays in the military, sometimes leaving after short service by their own choice, or as a result of circumstances beyond their control.

The Army will put you in a classroom again and again on courses throughout your career. It will expect you to absorb information, extrapolate from it, and prove that you can retain it in written and performance testing. It will also expect you to demonstrate your ability to communicate in writing and to develop this as your career advances. Use your opportunity now in school to lay down the basic skills that will help you with these demands later in the military. All of these skills will be assets no matter where you end up, in the military or afterward.