Author Topic: Waiting Game  (Read 10016 times)

Online Xylric

• Rate Post
Re: Waiting Game
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 03:32:59 »
Wrote the MOST on the 8th of this month with two other gentlemen. It was remarked with some incredulity that it seldom happens that all members of a cohort writing this test passed, but that's exactly what happened.

Offline czar01

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2018, 19:38:15 »
I've been waiting for months (about 9 months) as well......Last email I received was 2 weeks ago.....and they were starting to do background checks, I pass the aptitude test and it took about 3 - 4 months to clear my medical checks.....While I was waiting from the CAF or anyone from the Victoria BC recruiting center....I applied to UPS as a driver (gotta have a job or do something else while waiting).

Offline commander-cb

• Rate Post
    • wx
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2018, 17:16:04 »

ups about how the system is failing and Canada is loosing promising recruits due to excessive wait times.

Im at ...5+ years .... and I think that's it for me.
Yeah. Definitely too much time. Delay.

Application began approx 2010
Cfat passed
Current first choice  00135
Second. 00136
Third. Avn structures

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2018, 18:26:32 »
Im at ...5+ years .... and I think that's it for me.
Yeah. Definitely too much time. Delay.

No you're not. You're at just over a year.

I am now 50. I started my application , i think it was about 7 years ago - cfat / medical / interview and some other things.

I decided to reopen the application. I am trying not to get excited about it, it has already been a roller coaster ride.

You let your application lapse the last time, that's not the CAF's fault. As far as I'm concerned your "wait time" counts from the day you reopened, which is around October 2017 depending on your delay in posting here.

The system sucks, it takes too long, but don't make it sound worse than it is because of your own personal decisions.

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2018, 12:18:44 »
Applied to be a Pilot through the Seneca CEOTP program back in September. Went through CFASC and my Aircrew medical and all that, and finally had my third interview about a month ago. The interviewer said he was pushing my file forward, and that it would be with the MCC briefly before being entered into the Competition List.

If an offer is coming my way, how long might it take?

I've got a lease expiring at the end of August, and I know that the next start date for this program is September. I legally have to give 60 days' written notice of the termination of my lease, so I'd really like it if I didn't have to pay rent for a place I'm not living, and to be able to give my landlord adequate notice.

Does anyone know if it's likely that I'll be getting good news sometime in the next couple of weeks? Any later and I'm stuck paying rent for September even if I'm not there.

If you are selected for enrollment and have to pay to break your lease then yes the CAF will reimburse you.  It's up to 2 months (3 months in exceptional circumstances) and is called Rent Lease Liability.

Online Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2018, 10:00:23 »
I think I'm deep into the waiting game for the moment - I was asked in July to select three possible dates to go to Trenton for the ASC course, later being informed that due to operational requirements, I needed to select three different dates. While I have been nominated to the courses for the three dates I selected, I have yet to hear anything further. This does not surprise me, but I am certainly getting curious.

Offline Tylar

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2018, 14:23:17 »
Would anyone have a rough estimate on how long it takes to be given a job offer in infantry I was added to the list about a week ago just wondering how long it would be for the offer/swear in/bmq

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2018, 14:32:35 »
Would anyone have a rough estimate on how long it takes to be given a job offer in infantry I was added to the list about a week ago just wondering how long it would be for the offer/swear in/bmq

Application Process Samples
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=13064.0
258 pages.

Application - How long does it take? (Merged)
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,1256.475.html
20 pages.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 14:36:21 by mariomike »

Online Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2018, 14:46:37 »
I think I'm deep into the waiting game for the moment - I was asked in July to select three possible dates to go to Trenton for the ASC course, later being informed that due to operational requirements, I needed to select three different dates. While I have been nominated to the courses for the three dates I selected, I have yet to hear anything further. This does not surprise me, but I am certainly getting curious.

Kind of an interesting twist - I've been asked to come in for my interview on October 3rd, despite not yet having done ASC. A happy surprise, I think.

Online Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2018, 23:09:12 »
Since I have my interview in a little over 14 hours, a last minute thought comes to mind - I have not gone in for the medical evaluation yet, due to the need for me to complete the extra testing for pilot positions. Nor have I completed the extra testing. Is it inaccurate to presume that there is nothing abnormal occurring?

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2018, 15:54:32 »
Things can happen out of a "normal" sequence quite often (more than people realize).  Nothing abnormal happening :-)

Online Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2018, 17:34:55 »
Things can happen out of a "normal" sequence quite often (more than people realize).  Nothing abnormal happening :-)

Quite. Regardless of what happens now, I'm very pleased with how today went.

Offline LegioXEquestris

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2018, 21:11:05 »
Glad to hear that it went well. Hope you get more good news soon.
Infantry DEO - BMOQ Jan 2019

Online Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2018, 13:11:40 »
I go back for Medical on the 24th, so yeah, good news.  ;D

Will probably also be grabbing lunch with a childhood friend I've not seen in over a decade, now serving as an Artillery Major.

Online Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2018, 13:36:14 »
I think my Medical appointment went far better than I expected, as I was in and out within a half hour.

Now all I have to do is get my GP take care of the paperwork and order the necessary tests.

Offline ontheedge

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2018, 00:09:41 »
Wow I had no clue other folks were languishing in the system like me. I’ve been dabbling for like 3 years. Now I went for an interview so I thought an offer would be 10 days after the interview.

Question:  if you interview with a regiment that really needs someone in your speciality isn’t the chance of moving fast through recruiting more likely? 

Also, doesn’t harassing he recruiter help?  Email, attending on site, phone calls?  Like showing you really want in as opposed to just waiting for them??

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2018, 00:59:28 »
Wow I had no clue other folks were languishing in the system like me. I’ve been dabbling for like 3 years. Now I went for an interview so I thought an offer would be 10 days after the interview.

Question:  if you interview with a regiment that really needs someone in your speciality isn’t the chance of moving fast through recruiting more likely? 

Also, doesn’t harassing he recruiter help?  Email, attending on site, phone calls?  Like showing you really want in as opposed to just waiting for them??

How did you have no clue? You’ve been around these forums long enough to have seen posts requesting new users to take the time to read/research at least some of their questions and there are a ton of RegF and PRes examples of lengthy recruiting times for varying reasons floating around. (Not to mention answers to many other questions you’ve posed along the way.)

In reviewing your posts since you joined the site you seem rather intent on drawing negative attention to yourself in varying ways. I really don’t know if this is intentional or not, but you need to be aware. This is not meant as an insult, but rather, take it as constructive criticism. Read more, post less, be aware of how you’re coming across. DS encourages new users to find their way around and adapt to the tone and dynamic of the site and its users, just like you’ll have to in your unit, regardless of your position. There’s a decent possibility you’re among potential future colleagues here. I strongly urge you to bear that in mind.

At this point, I’m tempted to almost consider your recruiting question as trolling. “Harrassing” a Recruiter is strongly ill-advised. There are also many threads discussing the frequency with which it’s generally considered acceptable to be inquiring about one’s process. I’ll let you find them.   
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 01:04:19 by BeyondTheNow »
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline ontheedge

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2018, 01:29:34 »
I went over quite a few pages of application processes. Didn’t see many in the 7 year range. 

Online Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2018, 01:59:44 »

I'm not actually languishing. I put the brakes on everything for a few months due to having to help my father handle the affairs of the estate of my grandparents. Since I was extremely close to them, I wanted to get through the grieving process to remove the distraction it would create. I'm just past the year mark since my initial contact/application.

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2018, 06:17:56 »
I went over quite a few pages of application processes. Didn’t see many in the 7 year range.

But you saw some? So you didn’t have “...no clue...” then. ::)

"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline ontheedge

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2018, 09:52:28 »
I'm not actually languishing. I put the brakes on everything for a few months due to having to help my father handle the affairs of the estate of my grandparents. Since I was extremely close to them, I wanted to get through the grieving process to remove the distraction it would create. I'm just past the year mark since my initial contact/application.

Sorry you’re going through that and having to deal with that.

What’s not clear from the application process page (258 pages and 15 years worth of data for people new to this site) is why some folks move fast through the system. Each case is different and so hard to predict from the outset.

Also when I scroll through the pages I see some years demand for troops seems to be higher (2003) when many applications seemed to move fast. Then later on things slowed down, people posting didn’t update their BMQ dates... etc.

Anyhow point being, the data is a trove of information... to be read in addition to reading personal stories.

I’ll stop posting for a few days. I think people are starting to get annoyed by my posts. :-(

Online Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2018, 11:22:56 »
Sorry you’re going through that and having to deal with that.

What’s not clear from the application process page (258 pages and 15 years worth of data for people new to this site) is why some folks move fast through the system. Each case is different and so hard to predict from the outset.

Also when I scroll through the pages I see some years demand for troops seems to be higher (2003) when many applications seemed to move fast. Then later on things slowed down, people posting didn’t update their BMQ dates... etc.

Anyhow point being, the data is a trove of information... to be read in addition to reading personal stories.

I’ll stop posting for a few days. I think people are starting to get annoyed by my posts. :-(

Don't be. All it means that while I initially applied in late august last year, and was contacted to sit the CFAT in October, I didn't write it until January. I actually had my medical a year to the day of my grandmother's passing, because she would've loved the symbolism to it.

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2018, 10:08:54 »

As much as BeyondTheNow already spoke on this, I want to touch base on this comment.

"harassing" the recruiters does absolutely nothing for your file.  It's not the Recruiter who decides whether you get in or not.  When you contact them (on site, email or phone call) all they do is make a log on your file that you've followed up and what information they gave you.  Why is this logged?  Just in case another recruiter looks at your file, it doesn't actually help (or hinder) your file.  Applicants are selected on the strength of their file, not how often they follow up.

Applicant 1: scores low on their CFAT/TSD and interview but follows up with their recruiter every 2 days (in person, email, phone call)
Applicant 2: scores extremely well on their CFAT/TSD, rocks their interview and never follows up with their recruiter.
Applicant 3: scores low on their CFAST/TSD, does ok on their interview and follows up with their recruiter every 2 weeks.

The order in which these people will be picked is:
First Picked: Applicant 2
Second Picked: Possibly Applicant 3
Applicant 1 due to low scores may never receive an offer

Notice that the frequency of follow up has NOTHING to do with the selection or receiving an offer.

Again the Recruiters at the CFRCs have NOTHING to do with the selection of individuals to join the CAF.  Selections are done by a team of individuals at Recruiting Group Headquarters and they don't look at your applicant log.

Online Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2018, 17:51:06 »
So what happens if you do incredibly well on the CFAT/TSD, but poorly in the interview? I imagine one would fall somewhere on the same line as Applicant 3 in your example?

Offline ontheedge

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2018, 00:30:10 »
So what happens if you do incredibly well on the CFAT/TSD, but poorly in the interview? I imagine one would fall somewhere on the same line as Applicant 3 in your example?

Fathoming a guess - if a person is in good physical shape and smart etc but interviews poorly, I would guess that where having quality discussions with a recruiter could be value. They could talk you into other trades that might be a better fit?  Drop hints as to what to do etc.

Since I used the word “harass” in an earlier post, I should just clarify that I meant you should be tenacious. Not to actually harass anyone. Just not give up so easily.