Author Topic: Interview advice (merged)  (Read 220984 times)

Offline Caz

• Rate Post
Re: interview info
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2004, 14:04:00 »
It‘s a job interview.  Remember that.  You‘ve done the research into the CF and your MOC, so you know what they are looking for in an employee.  The advantage your interviewer has is that they know how bad you want to work for them.  ;)

Wear a suit.  Get a haircut.  Mind your manners.

And don‘t forget to breathe.  They just want to make sure you‘re on top of your professional being, and that you‘ve got your head screwed on straight.

Let us know how it goes!
JRC

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2004, 15:04:00 »
during my interview, I was asked questions about my schooling, past work history, and most importantly, you need to know and understand what position in the military you are applying for ie. mine was Armoured Soldier. You‘ll also be asked what you think you‘ll undergo in Basic Training. Really, its more of a conversation, rather than an interview. Mine was very laid back and casual, and they like it if you show up early!
The true measure of a man is how well he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good

Munit Haec et Altera Vincit

"2..4..6..8..tiptoe, sneak, and infiltrate, yaaaaaay, recce!" - Kat Stevens

corporal-cam

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2004, 19:25:00 »
I just thought of a question of my own and I figured I would save a tiyn bit of space for the site  :D  When you said wear a suit, would wearing a cadet uniform (if you‘re in cadets... duh) help impress them or would I get the all too common "cadets think they‘re better than me" opinion from the interviewer?

RJG

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2004, 20:09:00 »
I can‘t say for sure, but I would suggest wearing a suit. I say this becuase it is a job interview like any other and a suit is very formal, pristine and clean. By clean I mean well kempt and, in a way, portrays someone who would be eligible for a career in the military.

Offline Scotty

• Army Chit Chatter
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2004, 21:18:00 »
Originally posted by Maxpower:
[qb] Don‘t sweat over it, its just general questions to see if you‘re stable minded.[/qb]
I have a question about that.  Around the time when I was 14 just turning 15 I suffered from mild anxiety (sp).  My parents had gotten a divorce, my mom started seeing another guy, I switched schools, we moved.  Alot of stuff added up.  I didn‘t to do anything (go to school, go to football practice etc.)  I went to the doctor he put me on medication, I took it for a month or so and then I was fine.  This had never happened before, and it hasn‘t happened since (I‘ll be 17 in three months.)

I plan on enlisting when I‘m eighteen which will make it around three years since.  I‘m wondering if this is going to hurt my chances of getting in?  Will they see that and think I may not have a "level head" even though it was just once for a very short period?  I‘m probably better off just calling up the recruiter and asking, but I thought I‘d ask you guys (and girls) first.

P.S. I plan on applying with infantry as my first choice and armoured as my number 2.  I don‘t know if that would have any effect or not.

Offline GrahamD

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2004, 21:49:00 »
Ya that is worth mentioning " Really, its more of a conversation, rather than an interview. Mine was very laid back and casual, and they like it if you show up early".

Both my interviews were the most casual and laid back I‘ve ever had.  I still treated the interview as professionally as I would any other, but I was very relieved on the inside.

RJG

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2004, 16:53:00 »
My interview is tomorrow, is there anythign I should bring besides myself and a suit?

Also what happens after the interview, whats next?

Offline bossi

• "vae soli, vae victus"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • The puck stops here ('War On Ice'!) Fight Smarter!
    • My pix (on MSN)
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2004, 18:09:00 »
Bring a suitcase full of unmarked, small bills.
Plane tickets to an exotic, warm and sunny location for the recruiting officer would be a nice touch - also be prepared to set the recruiter up with a date if he or she is single and doesn‘t have anybody to take with them (i.e. bring photo‘s of your sister/cousin/other good-looking relatives).
Oh - don‘t forget - Snacks and coffee for everybody in the recruiting centre, but don‘t just bring doughnuts or Timbits - include something healthy like veggies and fresh fruit too.
After the interview ... well, you‘ll just have to wait and see whether they decide to admit you to their secret labrynth of underground tunnels ...
  ;)  
Relax - it‘s only an interview - it‘s not as if it‘s a final exam for neurosurgery ...
Junior officers and NCOs who neglect to guide the thinking of their men are shirking a command responsibility.
-Feb 1955 Cbt Forces Journal
Those who appreciate true valour should in their daily intercourse set gentleness first and aim to win the love and esteem of others. If you affect valour and act with violence, the world will in the end detest you and look upon you as wild beasts. Of this you should take heed.
-Emperor Meiji: Rescript to Soldiers and Sailors, 4 January 1883

Offline fleeingjam

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2004, 22:06:00 »
What I found was that they really put some thought on education then again that would vary from person to person in my case im only 16 grade 11 so they put some pressure on that education. Anoter thought if you are planning on going to RMC dont bother to mention it if your marks are like below 80 i had 75 average and the captin doin my interview gave me a long lecture on doing better. But all in all it was worth it. Anyhow good luck with your interview and the rest of your testing. (remeber to get all you medical forms in quick)

Offline Da_man

• Rate Post
  • Infantry
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2004, 07:20:00 »
I never had a job before, didnt have killer results at school either....  but I still got in infantry  :)
YOU! No, you. Not You! YOU!

Offline CanadianTire

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2004, 07:52:00 »
My interview was not easy by any means, but it was quite enjoyable.  I was told to keep in school (I‘m in 3rd year university) because I really should think about going for officer; I was also told (in more words) that I‘m pretty much the sort of person the CF is looking for, and that I interview well.

Please note that I have been on 3 real job interviews in my life -including this one- and I hate them.  The CF interview was by far the most mentally stressful, but at the same time enjoyable.  Be prepared to answer questions of a semi-personal nature: do you have a problem with a man or woman supervising you?  with a person of different sexual orientation supervising you?  working with members of the opposite sex/different sexual orientations?  do you think society has become more liberal re: drug use?  That sort of thing.  Be honest, I‘m sure if they don‘t like answers to those sorts of questions you won‘t get far and you really shouldn‘t be in the CF.

All things said, do dress nicely, relax and talk with the recruiter, not at them and defintely not at the floor.

PS - Its even better when your recruiter is in-training and being supervised by an experienced recruiter!
"Theirs not to reason why/Theirs but to do and die." - Tennyson

Offline MilitaryGirl69

• militarygirl88
  • Rate Post
Interview
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2004, 14:09:05 »
Hi, I am going in on 24th November for the Interview part of the Application process for the Infantry Reserves. I was wondering if anyone could give me any hints or what not on what to expect in the Interview, like what kind of questions they will ask, and what kind of clothing i should wear? Thanks a bunch.

Militarygirl88
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
- Unknown
"It is well that war is so terrible, else we should grow too fond of it."
- General Robert E. Lee
"Paper-work will ruin any military force"
- Lieutenant General Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

Offline 48Highlander

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Applied Ballistics
Re: Interview
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2004, 14:12:23 »
Wear whatever you like.  It's probably the easiest job interview you'll ever have, so don't get all worked up about it.  Just relax, listen to the questions, and think before you answer.

Offline MilitaryGirl69

• militarygirl88
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2004, 14:19:49 »
Thanks, 48Highlander
  Do think you could possibly give me any ideas as to what kind of questions will be asked? I also hear it is suppose to take about an hour in length? Again thanks for the help,  :salute:  :)
- Unknown
- General Robert E. Lee

Offline Proud Forester

• Tenacious and Versitile
  • Rate Post
    • G&SF
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2004, 14:25:17 »
From what I recall, it is alot of questiong about yourself, mostly trying to determain if you are the type of person that will do well in the military. Like 48th said, in my experiance, the interview is the easier of the application procces. Out of curiousity, what unit are you trying to join??

Offline MilitaryGirl69

• militarygirl88
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2004, 14:32:01 »
Hmmm, ok.... thanks foerestedwarrior, :). The unit I am trying to join? It is the Royal Highland Fuisiliers of Canada, in Cambridge, Ontario.... I'm actually joining the Reserves as a co-op program, through my school,  :salute:
militarygirl88
- Unknown
- General Robert E. Lee

Offline 48Highlander

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Applied Ballistics
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2004, 00:58:55 »
RHFC?  you're the ones with the big white feather right?  ;D

Offline MilitaryGirl69

• militarygirl88
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2004, 11:46:38 »
actually i think we are the ones that wear the white pompom type things on our hats,  :P, i don't plan on staying with RHFC long i want to join Princess Partrica unit, , maybe or some Combat Engineer unit, if possible.  :salute:
- Unknown
- General Robert E. Lee

Offline camochick

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2004, 11:57:41 »
They ask alot of questions about drugs. Which ones you have done and such. There is a sign in their that says if you lie you go to jail haha. For reg force they ask about if you're ready to leave home and such. It wasn't really much of an interview. I've had worse applying for mcdonalds in high school.
I am bushy bushkisser!!!
It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees!!

Offline MilitaryGirl69

• militarygirl88
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2004, 12:14:44 »
thanks for the info camochick, but i dont think i need to worry about the drug questions, seeing as how i have never done drugs, haha ;D
- Unknown
- General Robert E. Lee

Zauster

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2004, 18:03:52 »
My wife just completed her interview this AM.   Like aforementioned, most questions about you personally and your goals (as well as drugs), how you made your selections and why you want to join.   Also why you are deciding to join now instead of right out of school.   A few questions on the military to see how much research you have done - like structure, what we do and where we go - no worries though, these are just to see what you know and get you thinking.

Cheers.   :warstory:

Offline MilitaryGirl69

• militarygirl88
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2004, 09:51:47 »
thanks, Zauster. that helps alot... i appreciate it very much....good luck to your wife. :salute:
- Unknown
- General Robert E. Lee

Offline civvy3840

• Rate Post
  • Grey and Simcoe Forester recruit
Interview help!
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2005, 13:32:08 »
I went on the DND site and came across a self preparation for interview thing. But there is a section that is asking for examples of courage, mental stamina, patience etc... and I couldn't come up with answers to all of them is this even in the interview? here's the link if you want to check it out: http://www.recruiting.dnd.ca/engraph/howtojoin/interview_e.aspx

thanks   :cdn:
"Strike hard, Strike fast"

Offline LoLieZ

• Gnr.
  • Rate Post
Re: Interview help!
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2005, 13:49:56 »
It says some or all. I personally filled it ALL out. Think back... at school was there abully or somthing and you showed courage by sticking up for the guy that was being bullied? I'd fill em all out, makes it look alot better.

Offline civvy3840

• Rate Post
  • Grey and Simcoe Forester recruit
Re: Interview help!
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2005, 14:09:34 »
Thanks tasker I never thought of it that way. I guess I should be able to fill them all out to. :salute:
"Strike hard, Strike fast"