Author Topic: U.S. Politics 2017 (split fm US Election: 2016)  (Read 101052 times)

Offline kkwd

• Rate Post
Re: U.S. Politics 2017 (split fm US Election: 2016)
« Reply #700 on: March 20, 2017, 00:21:42 »
I would like to know the organization or person responsible for making that chart. Was it a reputable source or somebody with a graphics program in their basement just having a laugh at gullible persons. I can't seem to find the originators of that chart.
You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.
                                                                                                                   Yogi Berra

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #702 on: March 20, 2017, 20:55:57 »
I would like to know the organization or person responsible for making that chart. Was it a reputable source or somebody with a graphics program in their basement just having a laugh at gullible persons. I can't seem to find the originators of that chart.

The beauty of the chart is it illustrates my point about using aggregators like Instapundit. Glenn Reynolds will link to almost any of these sources when an interesting (to him) topic arises, and his readers can follow the links and get differing perspectives on many of the topics at hand. Mind you, clicking on multiple links within one of the shaded areas won't provide much diversity of opinion, but choosing to go across multiple circles, ovals etc. does provide a much broader and greater diversity of opinion, multiple sources and wider perspective.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Online tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #704 on: March 21, 2017, 08:33:28 »
Fox news has benched Judge Napolitano over his claim that British intel provided NSA with voice recordings.He had claimed to have 3 sources.I am a bit surprised by this as the judge in the past has been very credible.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #705 on: March 21, 2017, 10:01:45 »
Fox news has benched Judge Napolitano over his claim that British intel provided NSA with voice recordings.  He had claimed to have 3 sources.  I am a bit surprised by this as the judge in the past has been very credible.
Like he has been with 9-11;)
Meanwhile, an interesting take on what Comey said - and didn't say - at the Lawfare blog here - an excerpt:
... One of the only good pieces of news for Trump in this testimony is Comey's formulation of the investigation he announced as a counterintelligence investigation, not a criminal investigation. This little-understood distinction is actually important. A criminal investigation is designed to suss out whether a crime was committed and needs to be prosecuted, who is guilty of it, and whether the evidence would support a conviction. A counterintelligence investigation, by contrast, is designed to respond to foreign espionage against the United States. The goal is not necessarily to prosecute but to figure out what kind of steps may need to be taken to prevent whatever harm is threatened. Most counterintelligence investigations don't result in criminal charges; they might result instead in long-term monitoring of foreign actors, cyberdefense activities, or even diplomatic moves. So when Comey says this is a counterintelligence investigation, not a criminal investigation, he is flagging that prosecuting anyone, let alone the President, may not be his top priority.

All of which makes his apparently gratuitous inclusion of a criminal element in describing the investigation curious. As Comey notes, the criminal component of this investigation is actually always there: "As with any counterintelligence investigation," he said, "this will also include an assessment of whether any crimes were committed." The criminal element is always there there because criminal process is an inherent feature of any investigation that involves activities—like hacking and spying—that implicate federal criminal laws ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #706 on: March 21, 2017, 12:14:51 »
Fox news has benched Judge Napolitano over his claim that British intel provided NSA with voice recordings. He had claimed to have 3 sources. I am a bit surprised by this as the judge in the past has been very credible.
Fox obviously yanked him for claiming that there were sources;  it's a slippery slope before someone f*cks up and admits that facts exist.

Online tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #707 on: March 21, 2017, 20:25:08 »
Trump has ordered that passengers must leave cell phones,lap tops ect in the hold of the plane due to terror concerns.Canada and the UK follow suit. Looks like the Yemen raid may not have been a complete bust after all.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/21/politics/electronics-ban-devices-explosives-intelligence/index.html

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #708 on: March 21, 2017, 22:24:06 »
Trump has ordered that passengers must leave cell phones,lap tops ect in the hold of the plane due to terror concerns.Canada and the UK follow suit. Looks like the Yemen raid may not have been a complete bust after all.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/21/politics/electronics-ban-devices-explosives-intelligence/index.html

Actually cell phones are OK. Any electronic device larger than a cell phone has to go in checked baggage.
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #709 on: March 21, 2017, 22:26:49 »

According to the most recent info from CBC  (ie - about the same time you spewed your latest ill-informed propaganda), it was stated that "a decision on whether to implement a similar ban respecting large electronics on flights to Canada will be made shortly." 

Now, perhaps there are too many syllables in that bold/yellow bit, but the gist is that Canada has not yet decided on what we'll do.  There is nothing in your CNN report (oh look, suddenly CNN isn't "fake news"  ::) ) or the CBC report that says Canada has... or is going to... follow the US lead.  They may.... or may not; it has not yet been decided. 

:not-again: 

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #710 on: March 22, 2017, 01:04:47 »
Journeyman, you're becoming predictable. 

Just a thought.

:cheers:
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #711 on: March 22, 2017, 06:47:55 »
Journeyman, you're becoming predictable. 
"Predictable."  That's pretty rich, being posted in a Trump bukkake-fest.

My predictability does  become apparent when the Trump toxin spreads to Canadian topics.

I regret (more than you can imagine) that my preference for facts and thinking is at odds with the majority of group-think in this thread.  Yes, I've done a reality-check, wondering if I'm 'the only one in step,'  and while I can understand some of the emotions behind this 'movement' I just can't understand the suspension of thought that embracing it requires (unless that sort of thing was never one's strong suit anyway).  Oh well.

As I've stated before, I'm more than happy  to avoid this mess altogether..... if people would stop trying to drag Canada into the alt-garbage world -- in this, and other, threads. 

Some solutions are  pretty simple.   :nod:

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #712 on: March 22, 2017, 09:28:47 »
(oh look, suddenly CNN isn't "fake news"  ::) )

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #713 on: March 22, 2017, 09:42:24 »
... That's pretty rich, being posted in a Trump bukkake-fest ...
What is Googled, cannot be un-Googled ...  ;D

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #714 on: March 22, 2017, 14:27:36 »

If you want to make a splash,

"Instead of dipping udon noodles in the sauce, the sauce is poured over noodles as bukkake means pouring in Japanese."
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 14:31:15 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #715 on: March 22, 2017, 14:29:46 »

Do NOT ever go on Reddit, Urban Dictionary, or...well, anywhere.  >:D
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #716 on: March 22, 2017, 17:04:31 »
>I would like to know the organization or person responsible for making that chart. Was it a reputable source or somebody with a graphics program in their basement just having a laugh at gullible persons. I can't seem to find the originators of that chart.

It almost doesn't matter.  You can look at the centreline, which includes NPR, WaPo, NYT, etc, and realize that however accurate it is in general, most of those are all widely recognized in the context of US politics as being left of centre.  Just shift everything one column left to correct for bias.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

Omnia praesidia vestra capta sunt nobis.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

"Yet another in a long line of books about how libertarians are plotting to enslave you by devolving power to the individual and leaving you alone" - Warren Meyer, author of Coyote Blog

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #717 on: March 22, 2017, 17:46:07 »
It almost doesn't matter.  You can look at the centreline, which includes NPR, WaPo, NYT, etc, and realize that however accurate it is in general, most of those are all widely recognized in the context of US politics as being left of centre.  Just shift everything one column left or right to correct for bias based on your view/take on the respective outlets.
FTFY  ;D

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #718 on: March 22, 2017, 18:01:24 »
You can look at the centreline, which includes NPR, WaPo, NYT, etc, and realize that however accurate it is in general, most of those are all widely recognized in the context of US politics as being left of centre. 

Widely recognized by who?
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #719 on: March 22, 2017, 20:25:54 »
Widely recognized by who?

Republicans.   :nod:
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #720 on: March 22, 2017, 20:29:37 »
If you don't know that NPR and NYT pull hard for the progressive/Democratic side, you don't understand US politics.

"Yet another in a long line of books about how libertarians are plotting to enslave you by devolving power to the individual and leaving you alone" - Warren Meyer, author of Coyote Blog

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #721 on: March 22, 2017, 20:31:17 »
If you don't know that NPR and NYT pull hard for the progressive/Democratic side, you don't understand US politics.

And you don't know NPR.

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline QV

• Rate Post
« Reply #722 on: March 22, 2017, 21:02:38 »
Well, looks like Trump was right (again) about being wire tapped.   

Will this slow motion train wreck ever end? 

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #723 on: March 22, 2017, 22:00:54 »
>And you don't know NPR.

I know it well enough, and have read enough left-leaning commentators who agree it leans left to conclude that it leans left - not far left, but left nonetheless.  Maybe the presence of the icons of left-leaning agencies slightly left of the centre line is deliberate.  But in that case I'd expect CNN to be further left, not straddling the true centre.

Anyways, as for the author.  Apparently: here.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #724 on: March 23, 2017, 11:04:24 »
Well, looks like Trump was right (again) about being wire tapped.   

Will this slow motion train wreck ever end?

And it looks like (again) that those on the trump train don't have very high levels of reading comprehension.

Did you even read the various articles?

First, lets state Trump's claim:

1. His phones were wire tapped;
2. The wire tap was conducted during the election;
3. The wire tap was ordered by then-President Obama.

Now, let's look at what the articles actually tell us:

1. That the surveillance being conducted was not being conducted against Trump, or anyone in Trumps team. Rather, it was being conducted against foreign targets;
2. Any communications from or regarding trump that were collected were completely incidental. (Perhaps they were wiretapping the phone of a Russian national, who received a phone call from Trump...);
3. That this surveillance began and was being conducted AFTER the election; and
4. That this surveillance was being conducted under the authority of a legally issued FISA warrant.

The comments by Nunes do not appear to support Trump's claims, debunked by FBI Director James Comey, that he was wiretapped by his predecessor President Barack Obama. Rather, they appear to relate to conversations between Trump or associates and people who were targeted by FISA warrants -- that Nunes said did not appear to be illegal.

So, NO, Trump was not right. This is completely unrelated event that confirms nothing that Trump said.

― Dwight D. Eisenhower