Author Topic: Lowering tire pressure works wonders (4:47 video)  (Read 3542 times)

Offline macmarc

• Rate Post
Lowering tire pressure works wonders (4:47 video)
« on: January 20, 2017, 03:58:35 »
Hey guys,

this is my first thread here :)

I would like to show you this video which shows how simply deflating the tires of a truck can help driving through snow (as shown in the video), sand (desert), mud etc.
The video was made in Austria and I think it is remarkable how the truck doesn't need any snow chains whatsoever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZFg2omAako

What do you guys think? I guess every army in the world faces problems in difficult terrain. Any experiences within Canada?

Looking forward to hear about your thoughts!

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: Lowering tire pressure works wonders (4:47 video)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 06:38:36 »
We did this with AVGPs, I remember particularly the Bison we would drop the TPs from 42(?)psi for highway/hardstand to 25psi for cross country.  The lower TP with the extra set of wheels (compared to Cougar/Grizz) and a good driver, it would really make a difference.  Loved driving that piece of kit.

"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 06:52:42 »
We did this with AVGPs, I remember particularly the Bison we would drop the TPs from 42(?)psi for highway/hardstand to 25psi for cross country.  The lower TP with the extra set of wheels (compared to Cougar/Grizz) and a good driver, it would really make a difference.  Loved driving that piece of kit.

See what happens when you read the manuals....... [:D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 06:55:24 »
 ;D

I didn't mention how most dvr's moaned when it was time to bump the TP back up for a roadmove...hard work, holding that airhose in place!   >:D

Offline macmarc

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 09:03:11 »
So, you could deflate the tires but when you hit the road again there was no possibility of "re-inflating" them again?

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 09:20:51 »
It was done manually;  we would have to connect an air hose to the pressure tank and pump up 8 rather large tires to the higher PSI.  IIRC it would take about 20mins or so.  Was just something extra to do on first/half parades. 

Offline macmarc

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 09:51:59 »
I see. The good thing with the system in the video is, that they replace the standard valves with quick coupling valves, which have a much larger cross section. Hence, all tires can be inflated at the same time with roughly 800l of air a minute. I guess that would be the next step with regards to efficiency   :)