Author Topic: CMR reunion weekend  (Read 4068 times)

Offline proudmama

• Rate Post
CMR reunion weekend
« on: August 17, 2016, 22:57:48 »
CMR St Jean has apparently decided to take a new approach to the indoctrination of officer cadets. They are running the obstacle course on Friday, Sept 2nd but the badging and parade ceremony will only be on Saturday the 10th.

I know a lot of families would love to be there for either event but just can’t due to circumstances. My family is fortunate enough to be close enough to go down for one of the weekends but with a seven hour drive and limited vacation time available (needed to get there in time), going two weekends in a row will likely be too much. My preference is the obstacle course but my husband (having spent years in cadets) prefers the idea of attending the ceremony to see the drill and parade. I am open to any input someone who has been there has to offer!
It’s a disappointment because we had been expecting both events to be on the reunion weekend as the Commander’s letter in June to all the students, and all the ROTP programs descriptives, stated. I only caught the date change by happening to go online to the official web page for the school and spotting it in a title splash. I get that badging needs to happen when the alumni are there. I also understand that with the officer cadets just having come out of seven weeks at CFLRS, three more weeks of being CB is enough as for as the cadets are concerned. BUT, isn’t it kind of like cancelling the football game from a traditional university homecoming weekend? It sucks for families, alumni and other guests and makes it less of an immediate celebration/payoff for the officer cadets.

I suspect they wouldn’t try this kind of “minor adjustment” at RMCC. There is also a lack of official entry event at CMRSJ compared the RMCC arch parade, with the cadets being shipped over at night in a bus direct from BMOQ. If the powers that be don’t want CMRSJ feeling like its second class for officer cadets getting offers for First Year university there, they really should give some kind of consideration to the types of traditions RMCC proudly touts. 

Now that I have vented (and perhaps given a heads-up to some other misinformed parents), I will suck it up and accept this is another lesson in “rolling with it” as part of a military family. The first was my cadet having to skip high school graduation as it was three days after BMOQ started, the day after exams finished (which couldn’t be delayed due to the early CMRSJ start date which apparently has resulted in the reason for the early obstacle course).  Blah! (and my officer cadet has already declared no regrets re picking ROTP over high school graduation :) )

Offline Allie8

• Rate Post
Re: CMR reunion weekend
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 09:12:58 »
I also agree. We will be making the 8+ hour drive both weekends as we don't want to miss either event. Proud mama here too :salute:

Offline Jay4th

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 17:11:49 »
Continuing the Orientation Program for an extra week would have been a "make work project".
Because the students receive 6 weeks of basic training before arriving at CMR or RMC, the Orientation program can be much shorter. All the basic training stuff used to be during Orientation (marching, polishing, rank structure) , now its done at recruit school before arriving at the College.

The Orientation only exists now as a team building exercise and to get students accustomed to the time management needed at the college.
The Obstacle Course signals the end of the Orientation Program.  They receive some privileges and reduced work hours/restrictions afterwards.

Students will then have a full Labour Day Long Weekend, the first weekend off since 01 July for many of them.
The Alumni did not want to have their Badging parade near the long weekend (cottages and such), thus they are on separate weekends.
Sergeant-Major  COEFOR CMTC

Online MJP

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 17:20:34 »
Continuing the Orientation Program for an extra week would have been a "make work project".
Because the students receive 6 weeks of basic training before arriving at CMR or RMC, the Orientation program can be much shorter. All the basic training stuff used to be during Orientation (marching, polishing, rank structure) , now its done at recruit school before arriving at the College.

The Orientation only exists now as a team building exercise and to get students accustomed to the time management needed at the college.
The Obstacle Course signals the end of the Orientation Program.  They receive some privileges and reduced work hours/restrictions afterwards.

Students will then have a full Labour Day Long Weekend, the first weekend off since 01 July for many of them.
The Alumni did not want to have their Badging parade near the long weekend (cottages and such), thus they are on separate weekends.

It is almost like you work there and have an idea of why things happen the way they do.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Jay4th

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 19:07:46 »
I am slowly learning.
Sergeant-Major  COEFOR CMTC