Author Topic: Harrasment in public..Hydro One fires "jerk" for reporter prank  (Read 80432 times)

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
I don't even think he said the offending statement did he? Just defended his buddy who did it?

Offline Eaglelord17

• Rate Post
I don't even think he said the offending statement did he? Just defended his buddy who did it?

That is my understanding of it. In fact I am not 100% sure it was his buddy who said it, rather just someone who beat their group to the punch line and they happened to be around for the questioning.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Harrasment in public..Hydro One fires "jerk" for reporter prank
« Reply #177 on: November 03, 2015, 09:59:23 »
Its not as if he was wearing a Hydro One uniform or driving by in one of their vehicles.

The arbitrator may take the employee's profession into account. An "assistant network management engineer" may not have as much contact with the public as certain other professions.

Dismissals for non-criminal, off-duty, not in uniform, not on City property, not in a City vehicle, were upheld by arbitrators where I used to work. 

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #178 on: November 03, 2015, 11:47:57 »
A real twitter death sentence would have been putting his x-mas lights up before 12 NOV.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #179 on: April 27, 2016, 22:58:32 »
Not much has changed,

Apr 27, 2016

CityNews' Anna Vlachos considers charges after latest FHRITP incident
http://www.citynews.ca/2016/04/27/citynews-anna-vlachos-considers-charges-after-latest-fhritp-incident/
As Vlachos, who is six months pregnant, spoke to viewers, a young man walked in front of the camera and slurred “FHRITP.”

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 23:03:05 by mariomike »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2016, 13:44:03 »
Jul 22, 2016

Heckling of Vancouver TV reporter leads to police investigation
http://www.680news.com/2016/07/22/heckling-of-vancouver-tv-reporter-leads-to-police-investigation-2/

Also sort of Pokémon Go related,
MacDonald was reporting on a group of Pokemon Go players that had gathered in Robson Square when a man stepped beside her and uttered a vulgarity while appearing to record the episode with his cellphone.

Also reported in HuffPost BC as, "Unholy Douchebag Interrupts CTV Vancouver Report With 'FHRITP' Prank".  ;D

( I don't think FHRITP is funny. I don't know why anyone would. But, I thought the "Unholy Douchebag" headline was.  :) )
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 14:35:52 by mariomike »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Operation HONOUR discussion
« Reply #181 on: August 31, 2019, 09:23:38 »
The CAF is hardly unique for having certain situations in which someone will lose their job if it's reasonably believed they engaged in certain conduct.

Eg: The FHRITP incident at the CNE,

Harrasment in public..Hydro One fires "jerk" for reporter prank 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=119361.150
8 pages.

Hydro One eventually re-hired him because,

A) He was in a union.

B) His job at Hydro One was not "client facing". His job responsibilities were internal. ie: He did not represent Hydro One to the public on a day-to-day basis.

For jobs that involve a high level of public trust, even if in a union,

Canadian HR Reporter

Certain jobs require a high level of skill and a high level of trust from both employers and the public. For employees working in those types of positions, it’s possible that off-duty behaviour can call into question that trust, if it demonstrates poor judgment. And if an employer no longer has confidence that an employee has the judgment to perform a job of high skill and responsibility, the result could be dismissal.
https://www.hrreporter.com/columnist/employment-law/archive/2013/04/22/professional-conduct-outside-of-profession/

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 09:33:09 by mariomike »

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #182 on: August 31, 2019, 09:33:07 »
The Union part has nothing to do with it except he had representation, and I'll bet if he had grtabbed her genitals and said "you know you liked it", the result would have been different.
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #183 on: August 31, 2019, 09:42:58 »
The Union part has nothing to do with it except he had representation,

Global News

Why was Hydro One worker in FHRITP incident rehired?

Simoes’ status as a unionized employee is a major factor, and Kastner* says a non-unionized worker in his shoes would have a much harder time regaining their job.
https://globalnews.ca/news/2316399/why-was-hydro-one-worker-in-fhritp-incident-rehired/

* Ontario Labour Lawyer Danny Kastner
http://www.kastnerlaw.ca/danny-kastner
"He has expertise in employment law, labour law and civil litigation, with a focus on human rights, professional discipline and defamation.
In a broad range of sensitive workplace matters, Danny also acts as an independent investigator.
Danny is a past Chair of the Labour and Employment Section of the Ontario Bar Association. He also serves as a Board Member for the Industrial Accident Victims’ Group of Ontario."

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 09:48:07 by mariomike »

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #184 on: August 31, 2019, 10:12:09 »
Eg: The FHRITP incident at the CNE,

Harrasment in public..Hydro One fires "jerk" for reporter prank 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=119361.150
8 pages.

Hydro One eventually re-hired him because,

A) He was in a union.

B) His job at Hydro One was not "client facing". His job responsibilities were internal. ie: He did not represent Hydro One to the public on a day-to-day basis.

For jobs that involve a high level of public trust, even if in a union,

Yeah, but he didn't do it at work or in an extension of the workplace (e.g., work Christmas party). He was fired for off duty conduct in public not impacting directly on the workplace or someone in it. Try yelling 'FHRITP' at a company teleconference.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #185 on: August 31, 2019, 10:34:21 »
He was fired for off duty conduct in public not impacting directly on the workplace or someone in it.

He didn't say FHRITP. Someone else did.

Shawn defended it on City-TV News. There was no mention or identification of his employer.

People recognized him and identified his employer. When that public connection was made, they fired him.

Professional conduct outside of profession ( in Ontario ) was discussed here,
https://www.hrreporter.com/columnist/employment-law/archive/2013/04/22/professional-conduct-outside-of-profession/
"How far should high standards of professional conduct apply when employees are off duty?"

Where I worked, some members also committed off-duty career suicide on social media.

The union took these cases to arbitration. Sometimes the arbitrator's ruling was favourable to the employee. Sometimes it wasn't.

No union. No arbitration.

"The Arbitration Board, or single arbitrator, as the case may be, shall hear and determine the grievance and shall issue a decision, and the decision shall be binding upon the Union, the City and upon any employee affected by it."

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 19:54:14 by mariomike »

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #186 on: September 04, 2019, 14:00:27 »
He didn't say FHRITP. Someone else did.

Shawn defended it on City-TV News. There was no mention or identification of his employer.

People recognized him and identified his employer. When that public connection was made, they fired him.

Professional conduct outside of profession ( in Ontario ) was discussed here,
"How far should high standards of professional conduct apply when employees are off duty?"

Where I worked, some members also committed off-duty career suicide on social media.

The union took these cases to arbitration. Sometimes the arbitrator's ruling was favourable to the employee. Sometimes it wasn't.

No union. No arbitration.

"The Arbitration Board, or single arbitrator, as the case may be, shall hear and determine the grievance and shall issue a decision, and the decision shall be binding upon the Union, the City and upon any employee affected by it."

bingo, no union= no arbitration.
However, something we have been doing for a number of years now with employee contracts is putting mediation clauses into individual contracts of employment, and also very strong protection of privacy as well as personal reputation interests.  Edit: we have also sometimes put these terms into consulting contracts.
Living the lean life

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #187 on: September 04, 2019, 14:25:04 »
bingo, no union= no arbitration.
However, something we have been doing for a number of years now with employee contracts is putting mediation clauses into individual contracts of employment, and also very strong protection of privacy as well as personal reputation interests.  Edit: we have also sometimes put these terms into consulting contracts.

That sounds like a good idea.

My limited understanding of labour law is that unionized employees do not have the right to sue their employer in court if they are fired or demoted.

Unionized employees have no legal right to take their grievance to arbitration. Whether to accept or proceed with an employee's grievance is entirely up to the union. The employee can not insist the union proceed with it.

Even if the union decides to take the dismissal to arbitration, the arbitrator's decision is final. ie: The arbitrator may take the side of the employer.

In this case there was no harassment of fellow employees, and the employee does not deal directly with the public. So, I was not surprised the union took his grievance to a successful arbitration. 

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7245.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #188 on: September 04, 2019, 16:14:43 »
The Union part has nothing to do with it except he had representation, and I'll bet if he had grtabbed her genitals and said "you know you liked it", the result would have been different.

Not really. Like the PM says, "She just experienced it differently." ;)
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.