Author Topic: M113 / AVGP / Bison Driver "weather protection?"  (Read 23371 times)

Offline Fishandchipsandbeer

• Rate Post
  • "Better Than The Best"
M113 / AVGP / Bison Driver "weather protection?"
« on: March 03, 2014, 13:53:06 »
Howdy.

Anybody who has done any winter road moves in a Bison is well-acquainted with the Arctic blast through the driver's hatch which is directed at the crew commander. 

A month or so ago, I heard somebody mention that the M113 had something like a kayak skirt to fit around the driver; would anybody be able to provide me further information or ideas on how I might reduce the draft from the driver's hatch, other than force-feeding my driver doughnuts and fried chicken?
"She fulfilled, you see, four of the five conditions necessary for what may be called the Australian Ideal — she was an immensely rich, stunningly beautiful, highly-skilled professional amorist with the sexual appetite of a pagan princess; she did not own a public house."
-Flashman and the Dragon, George MacDonald Fraser

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
Re: M113 / AVGP / Bison Driver "weather protection?"
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 14:39:28 »
I drove M113, Grizley, Bison, coyote, Cougar and never saw something like that issued. It was made by someone.

Wear your winter gear and mukluks and you'll be fine.

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 15:05:03 »
I had one of the old heavy rubber ponchos that I secured around the hatch ring with bungies.  It was a prototype idea that lasted one exercise.  It worked, but was a major pain in the *** to set up each time we moved the vehicle, and made it tough to see all around me.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 15:15:11 »
Like NH said - dress for the weather.  Sometimes the driver's windscreen on the Bison helped me a bit as CC, but cold weather gear and a functional heater went a long way...I had seen guys do what Kat suggested with the ponchos, but it is a pain to set up all the time.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5920.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 15:26:06 »
I had one of the old heavy rubber ponchos that I secured around the hatch ring with bungies.  It was a prototype idea that lasted one exercise.  It worked, but was a major pain in the *** to set up each time we moved the vehicle, and made it tough to see all around me.

I used to do that with my Ferret, without the bungees though.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 15:30:39 »
Obviously -- elastic hadn't been invented way back then.   :whistle:

Offline my72jeep

• It is the duty of all canadians to be prepared to defend thier country
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 15:33:24 »
didn't you use sliced up inter tubes back then?  :stirpot:
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline BernDawg

• Wood Butcher
  • Rate Post
  • Retired... workin' harder than ever!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 15:35:01 »
I've seen drivers do this before too.

I did see a canopy once in the field, I believe it was an Arty carrier (M113) and the driver had a Plexiglas canopy that clamped down over the hatch. We were all gob-smacked when we saw it! Didn't get any pics nor have I seen one since but I swear it was real.... Sort of a helicopter bubble with a flat windshield at the front complete with windshield wiper.. We were all bundled up (I was driving my TOW carrier)  and the guy driving the canopy carrier wasn't even wearing a jacket, just his regular combats, beret and head set... under glass of course.. ;-)
"We can't all be heroes... because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."  Will Rogers
Someone has to be last.  At least if it's me I know where all the assholes are.

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 15:42:15 »
didn't you use sliced up inter tubes back then?  :stirpot:

Probably animal sinews, and when he said Ferret I don't think he meant the scout car  >:D:whiteflag:
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 16:22:36 »
I have seen pictures (and might have some at home) of the Centurion driver cover, I have seen both official and unofficial driver screens  for the Ferret driver and homemade screens for the commander. have also seen a hood/window thing for the M113 driver, complete with windshield wiper. For the LAV, etc don't they have a plex screen that hatch fits over forming a seal, but improving the drivers vision?

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 16:41:10 »
For the LAV, etc don't they have a plex screen that hatch fits over forming a seal, but improving the drivers vision?

Yea, I don't remember how well it seals but it is there.  Usually only used administratively though.  The CC has one as well, again usually only used administratively.

I don't know if it improves the driver's ability to see around them but all my drivers have said that they had better vision hatches down.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 16:45:03 »
Poor quality picture but this one from when they roamed the streets of Toronto when Mel asked for the Army to help shovel out......

Jan.14, 1999--A Canadian Forces Bison armoured personnel carrier drives into the Toronto downtown core Friday morning. …

Edited to add a larger pic.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:39:51 by NFLD Sapper »
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 16:52:40 »
With the M113s we had in 2RCR in the early 1980s, there was a semi-circular plexi windshied that was designed to mount around the front half of the driver's hatch. It was a simple arced sheet of plexi, about 10 mm thick that extended upwards about to 45 cm in the centre. It helped to break the wind, but if the was any precipitation (rain, slow, sleet, cats & dogs), the crew commander was often out of his hatch trying to act as a windshield wiper for the driver. I doubt many of these still exist today.

For heat control around the crew commander, it helped to arrange a tarp or ground sheets from floor to ceiling extending from the sidewall behind the driver, around the crew commander's seat post and then to the right hand wall. This cut down the space the heater was trying to warm and increased the chances of having some of the heat get to the driver.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 17:30:26 »
Here is the Ferret's

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5920.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 18:33:30 »
Here is the Ferret's

The driver's screen was standard issue.

We had no turret on ours. Just a big open hole.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 20:55:52 »
non turret version

NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 10:08:34 »
The Malaysians built versions with a raised hard top, with and without turrets. They weren't shy about modifying things as you can see with this Lynx and Ferret turret.

Online Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 11:32:20 »
If you look closely at the Bison/Coyote windshield there are two holes for tubes near the top. This is for the full protection kit that I have not seen in a long time. It had a small frame that extended rearward with some cheap fabric to protect and enclose the driver.

This is one of those things you never think to get a photo of until about 20 years later eh?
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 16:45:47 »
If you look closely at the Bison/Coyote windshield there are two holes for tubes near the top. This is for the full protection kit that I have not seen in a long time. It had a small frame that extended rearward with some cheap fabric to protect and enclose the driver.

This is one of those things you never think to get a photo of until about 20 years later eh?

Saw one kit in 1989 on my D&M course. It was in horrible shape and I haven't seen one since. Pretty much useless especially when you may have to button up or dismount at any time.

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline Fishandchipsandbeer

• Rate Post
  • "Better Than The Best"
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 22:59:13 »
The canopy for the bison windshield?  We've got loads of 'em in our TN stores.  Most in fairly new condition, with frames.  They don't do bugger-all for the aforementioned wind whistling past the bottom half of the crew commander, though.
"She fulfilled, you see, four of the five conditions necessary for what may be called the Australian Ideal — she was an immensely rich, stunningly beautiful, highly-skilled professional amorist with the sexual appetite of a pagan princess; she did not own a public house."
-Flashman and the Dragon, George MacDonald Fraser

Offline eme411

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 17:42:36 »
The M-113 windshield was very interesting , you drive into the sun and the whole world in front of you vanished, never mind the wind I need to see , that windshield came off real fast,

Offline Larry Strong

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • 546 days from 0 to being King of the Castle
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 20:21:07 »
Not wishing to start a new thread, I am looking for a couple pictures of the 113 with the ACAV gun tub that showed up in Croatia around 1993.

Thanks
Larry
Proud sponsor of the Maple Leaf Legacy Project. http://www.mapleleaflegacy.ca

Offline BernDawg

• Wood Butcher
  • Rate Post
  • Retired... workin' harder than ever!
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 15:38:18 »
Kind of a necro-post but I haven;t been around in a while.. Try here for pics;
http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/vehicles/apcs/armouredpersonnelcarriers.htm
"We can't all be heroes... because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."  Will Rogers
Someone has to be last.  At least if it's me I know where all the assholes are.

Offline cmpman

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2015, 12:08:09 »

I did see a canopy once in the field, I believe it was an Arty carrier (M113) and the driver had a Plexiglas canopy that clamped down over the hatch. We were all gob-smacked when we saw it! Didn't get any pics nor have I seen one since but I swear it was real.... Sort of a helicopter bubble with a flat windshield at the front complete with windshield wiper.. We were all bundled up (I was driving my TOW carrier)  and the guy driving the canopy carrier wasn't even wearing a jacket, just his regular combats, beret and head set... under glass of course.. ;-)

That well could have been me back in the day here in Shilo. We used to do this with the M113s when I was with 2VP in Winnipeg as well. The bubble was actually the cover for the M577 ARV. As mechanics, we would order it on the work order, then adapt it with a piece of plywood to fit onto the hatch ring of the carrier. The windshield had a defroster and as well we either adapted Iltis wipers, or used the original US type wiper motor that came with them. Some of the guys would go a bit further and install a sun visor as well.

While the bubble helped a lot, just as important was to block the engine from drawing it's air form the crew compartment. No heater was going to pump out as much air as a 6V53 would draw. There was a small vent located by the driver's right leg. You had to pull out a cable to partially block it, then insert a chip bag or something to totally block it.

The bubbles were over 1K each, not including the accessories. They were also easily broken. Unfortunately there were never enough that they would make it out for everyone.

As a mechanic, I would often pull up to a M113 casualty where they were in full AFV winter gear with balaclavas and icicles hanging down from the eyelashes and mustache. I almost felt guilty being in the beret and combat shirt.

Officially, the M113s were issued with windscreens designed and built by 202 workshop. They could be described as marginal at best.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 10:18:01 »

"Officially, the M113s were issued with windscreens designed and built by 202 workshop. They could be described as marginal at best."

Were you talking the windscreens or 202 workshops when you said "They could be described as marginal at best"?

8)

Offline GK .Dundas

• Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 17:32:15 »
"Officially, the M113s were issued with windscreens designed and built by 202 workshop. They could be described as marginal at best."

Were you talking the windscreens or 202 workshops when you said "They could be described as marginal at best"?

8)
  Either or ................... :nod:
"Norman. You know my policy on arming morons.If you arm one you have arm them all. Otherwise it 's just not sporting!"