Author Topic: Retro Pay & Allow 1Apr 2014 - 1Apr 2017  (Read 197758 times)

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Pay Raise (2014 - 2016) & Back Pay
« Reply #300 on: December 18, 2016, 21:16:15 »
It's important to note that only one bargaining group out of five in PSAC reached a tentative agreement.  68,000 out of 170,000 members.

Still a long way to go, but at least there's forward movement.

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #301 on: December 18, 2016, 21:19:09 »
It's important to note that only one bargaining group out of five in PSAC reached a tentative agreement.  68,000 out of 170,000 members.

Still a long way to go, but at least there's forward movement.

Cup is half full

I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #302 on: December 18, 2016, 21:33:10 »
How does the signing bonus factor into military pay increase? My gut says it doesn't, but stranger things have happened.

Light at the end of the tunnel at least.

Likely it does not; it depends on the wording.  It could be a "Here's $650, so the crown has no more liability for Phoenix problems" payment, in which case it would not affect military pay.

Interestingly, PSAC's website is claiming 5.5% over 4 years, where PIPSC got 5% over 4.  But I think PIPSC got more in the alst contract, so it may be a wash.

PSAC's website: http://psacunion.ca/tentative-agreement-reached-pa-table-includes
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #303 on: December 21, 2016, 10:26:06 »
A little more information on the PSAC settlement: it's 1.25% per year for four years, plus a 0.5% "market adjustment" for 2016. (http://psacunion.ca/tentative-agreement-reached-pa-table-includes)

It appears that the web page is periodically updated; the link does not change, but the information presented does...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #304 on: December 21, 2016, 12:02:58 »
Are these agreements typically retroactive? Is if 1.25% from 2017 onwards (plus 0.5% for 2016)?

Offline trooper142

• Rate Post
« Reply #305 on: December 21, 2016, 18:56:06 »
Are these agreements typically retroactive? Is if 1.25% from 2017 onwards (plus 0.5% for 2016)?

If we look here :

http://psacunion.ca/sites/psac/files/attachments/pdfs/20161217_barg_pa_ca_summary_table_bi.pdf

It states in the agreement:

Annex B – Rates of Pay
Basic economic increase:
Effective June 21, 2014: 1.25%
Effective June 21, 2015: 1.25%
Effective June 21, 2016: 0.5% wage adjustment for all groups and levels
Effective June 21, 2016: 1.25%
Effective June 21, 2017: 1.25%
650$ Signing bonus

With the agreement expiring in 2018, and it being a four year agreement, it would appear that it will be back dated to 2014. 

We will wait to see the deal the military gets, but it appears as though this will be the end result for the Public Service

That being said, the agreement hasn't been ratified yet, and I wouldn't hold my breath before end January at the earliest.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #306 on: December 21, 2016, 21:54:44 »
Once ratified by membership, and following discussions between DND and Treasury Board staff, a formal submission would go to TB for approval of revised CAF pay scales. While that worked its way through the approvals process, the staff supporting CCPS and RPSR would begin tests & trials for implementing a retroactive pay increase, and figure out when they could introduce such changes and process the millions of retroactive transactions that would be required.  Once approved by TB, a formal announcement will be made together with an estimated time for payout.

I would not expect to see any retro pay before fall 2017; January 2017 will not happen.

Offline trooper142

• Rate Post
« Reply #307 on: December 21, 2016, 22:17:36 »
I would not expect to see any retro pay before fall 2017; January 2017 will not happen.

I mean, I was more speaking to a ratification vote for the public service by end January, before anything you mentioned can even begin.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Regimental Headquarter Staff
« Reply #308 on: December 21, 2016, 22:22:35 »
I predict 2018 before we see if anything.... ;D
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #309 on: December 22, 2016, 15:11:16 »
Still less than a third of the public service has tentative collective agreements; got a long way to go yet, folks.

Offline Action Man

• Rate Post
« Reply #310 on: December 22, 2016, 19:54:02 »
The Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) announced 21 Dec 2016 that a tentative agreement between PSAC and Treasury Board has been reached for the Program and Administrative Services (PA table), covering over 68,000 federal public service workers. The agreement is an increase of five and a half percent over the four years.  More details are available online, but please keep in mind this is not for Cdn Forces personnel - only information that the government is moving forward with the Public Servants and eventually this will mean an announcement of an increase for Cdn Forces personnel will be announced in due time.  No timeline for this news, only that there is movement with the Government.  Actual increases are still to be determined for Cdn Forces personnel.  Some positive news after waiting so long since our last increase back in April of 2013.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #311 on: December 22, 2016, 23:19:25 »
PSAC has dropped their request for an order of mandamus against the Treasury Board over Phoenix (http://cas-cdc-www02.cas-satj.gc.ca/IndexingQueries/infp_RE_info_e.php?court_no=T-1021-16&select_court=T).  I suspect the "$650 signing bonus" is, in fact, shut up and go away money.

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #312 on: December 23, 2016, 06:58:00 »
Honest question here - once everything works it's way through the sausage mill and the CANFORGEN is released, the CF pay is adjusted for the retro-pay. For those who WERE in uniform in 2014, 2015 and partially 2016 (then retired) would those of us who retired still be eligible to receive the back pay for those years they were in?

Just curious...

Bin
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #313 on: December 23, 2016, 07:39:57 »
Yes. Pay systems will process retro pay for released members.

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #314 on: December 23, 2016, 08:07:52 »
Yes. Pay systems will process retro pay for released members.

Nice. Thank you Big D!
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline busyinbrussels

• Rate Post
« Reply #315 on: February 16, 2017, 11:30:54 »
Has anyone heard any information on this file?

I know money has been set aside, but at what point are they going to pay it out.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #316 on: February 16, 2017, 11:33:50 »
Once any increase is approved by Treasury Board, it will be announced, together with the time line for retro to be paid out.  Until TB approves, it is wait out.

Offline c_canuk

• Rate Post
« Reply #317 on: March 03, 2017, 09:57:38 »
Based on how fast admin travels through the gov these days, like SSC, PSWGC and IMProc, I won't be expecting it until around Christmas... 2018. At the earliest.

Best to just forget about it until the message comes out and be pleasantly surprised.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #318 on: March 03, 2017, 16:21:45 »
CFCWO was around my part of the world this week...said the pay raise is coming, not much longer. 
The only time you have too much gas is when you're on fire.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #319 on: March 03, 2017, 16:25:01 »
CFCWO was around my part of the world this week...said the pay raise is coming, not much longer.

Does he have an "in" with PSAC, PIPS, and all the other PS unions?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #320 on: March 03, 2017, 16:29:19 »
He's the CFCWO, I'd say he has pretty good info and wouldn't be stating thing at units and townhalls he wasn't confident was accurate.
The only time you have too much gas is when you're on fire.

Offline mildoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #321 on: March 03, 2017, 17:30:42 »
We were told Sept 2017 in CUB today. No further info.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #322 on: April 08, 2017, 02:47:31 »
The RCMP back pay was announced this week.  I assume that (at least until they form a union) their pay increases wait for the overcoming of the same barriers as are holding up decisions on CAF pay.

So ... any day now?

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #323 on: April 08, 2017, 10:36:41 »
The RCMP back pay was announced this week.  I assume that (at least until they form a union) their pay increases wait for the overcoming of the same barriers as are holding up decisions on CAF pay.

So ... any day now?

They may have had their back pay announced, but it seems as if they're far from happy about their pay.  Full story with interesting photos at story link below.  Shared under the fair dealings provisions of the copyright act.

RCMP yellow stripe protest over pay discrepancies spreads among officers
Criminologist calls push-back by rank and file unusual, but expects more
By Chad Pawson, CBC News Posted: Apr 08, 2017 5:00 AM PT Last Updated: Apr 08, 2017 5:00 AM PT

Sgt. Chris Backus knows that speaking out about receiving fair compensation as a Mountie could cost him his job, but he's willing to take that risk.

"I have been verbally reprimanded by the RCMP, I've been told not to speak out any further," he said a day after telling the CBC about how he and members at Sunshine Coast RCMP are covering up the yellow stripe on their uniforms.

They're calling it a symbolic protest of pay discrepancies between RCMP and municipal forces across Canada.
"I will not be silenced on this issue," said Backus. "I will continue to speak out and I accept whatever fate that gives me on a disciplinary measure."

It appears that Backus is not alone, as pictures of Mounties either taping over their yellow strip or wearing different pants are popping up on social media across the country.

"I get the sense that there will be more of this," said SFU criminology professor Rob Gordon. "You've got a disgruntled labour force there."
Protest of any kind is rare inside the RCMP, which has strict regulations about publicly expressing any kind of comments about the force that could be considered negative.

Last July, many Mounties refused to volunteer for so-called, "red serge duty," where they march in parades and other events.

Officers who participate in the yellow-stripe protest could face disciplinary action relating to its code of conduct, which could result in a verbal reprimand or even dismissal.

On Wednesday, Public Safety Canada announced retroactive salary increases for the RCMP, which include a 1.25 per cent raise effective Jan. 1, 2015, another 1.25 per cent raise effective Jan.1, 2016, and a 2.3 per cent market adjustment effective April 1, 2016.

"This package does very little in moving the RCMP into a competitive salary range to attract and to retain qualified candidates," said The National Police Federation, one of three groups in Canada trying to professionally represent the country's 17,000 members.

The force is in the process of forming a union, but no group is yet in place to represent RCMP officers in bargaining.

Some Mounties have been transitioning to municipal forces for better pay, equipment and working environments.

For example, the entry level salary for an officer with the RCMP is $50,674, while a constable with the Vancouver Police Department on probation earns $68,443.

Gordon says the long-simmering issue may be brought to a head with the yellow stripe protest.

"I think they're getting ticked off royally," he said of rank-and-file members. "And this is one way in which they can demonstrate their discontent and as I say I think there's more to come."

The head of the RCMP in B.C., Brenda Butterworth-Carr, sent a message to members asking them not to cover up the stripes.
"While I understand your disappointment on this matter, I trust you will understand why I cannot endorse such action," she wrote. "I believe an incomplete uniform undermines the distinctive role we play in keeping our citizens safe and secure."

Backus disagrees and calls the protest, "respectful and professional."

He's calling on commissioned officers, including RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson, to take part.

'We should be united'

"This does not need to be a divisive issue between the senior members of the RCMP and the regular members," he said.

"We should be united on this front. So instead of ordering members to be quiet, instead of trying to strategize how to deal with this, you have a choice. You have a defining moment in your career and even a defining moment in your life. Why don't you take off your stripe?"

Gordon doubts commissioned officers will join in, despite saying that he's sure many of them quietly sympathize. In the end, those officers are responsible for enforcing code of conduct.

If the protest grows, which he expects it to, he says it may be up to Paulson, who will retire in June, to do something to bring members back into line.

Paulson to 'ice' protest?

"The commissioner may well issue a directive," he said. "The commissioner may well come with a bucket of ice water and try and fix this in some way."

Brian Sauvé, who is co-chair of the National Police Federation, is supportive of the protest and says it will try and help any members facing discipline over speaking out.

"We've put up and we've allowed our members to be disadvantaged for too long, whether it be resource levels, which have been abysmal or whether it be compensation tables," he said.

Meanwhile he also wants members to sign onto either his organization — which has 4,500 members — the Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada, or a similar group in Quebec to push forward a union for RCMP members.

He says, until officers get professional representation, there is no way they can move forward on negotiating better wages and benefits.

with files from Alison Crawford.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rcmp-yellow-stripe-campaign-grows-despite-threat-of-backlash-1.4061686
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 10:39:18 by jollyjacktar »
I'm just like the CAF, I seem to have retention issues.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #324 on: April 08, 2017, 10:41:35 »
RCMP got 4.8% over two years; I suspect the CAF will see increases more in line with the public service, which are getting 5% to 5.5% over 4 years.