Author Topic: Problems with searching  (Read 13007 times)

Offline MeanJean

• Professional Student
  • Rate Post
Problems with searching
« on: May 31, 2013, 09:47:12 »
I have been searching the forums for some answers and I have been getting this error message more often than getting returns on my queries.  Am I the only one?

An Error Has Occurred!
Due to high stress on the server, the search function has been automatically and temporarily disabled. Please try again in a short while.
Murphy's Law of Combat: "Never forget that your weapon was manufactured by the lowest bidder"

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

is thinking beach volleyball.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
Re: Problems with searching
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 18:51:08 »
Mikes been having issues with the server,........when the 'stress" is too high certain functions shut down to help.

{all non-tech terms talk of course]
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 19:50:35 »
MeanJean,

try searching with Google, add site:army.ca to your search parameters.

Offline HULK_011

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 21:42:06 »
Site:army.ca using google is the only way I search Army.ca now. Ive never effectively been able to use the on site search function; but with google I always find what Im looking for. Highly recommend it to everyone.

Offline MeanJean

• Professional Student
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 09:40:10 »
Thank you for the advice.  I never thought of using google to search the site.  I have had limited success using forum seach engine.  I will be using Google in the future.
Murphy's Law of Combat: "Never forget that your weapon was manufactured by the lowest bidder"

Offline matthew1786

• Rate Post
Search Function Problems
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 13:29:48 »
Hello,

I would like to report that for the last week or so, regardless of the time of day or night, every time I try to use the search function I receive this message:

"Due to high stress on the server, the search function has been automatically and temporarily disabled. Please try again in a short while."

I have no clue how wide spread this problem may be, or if I am an isolated case. What I do know is that the importance of the search function working properly is vital for this forum's operation. I apologize if this has already been reported, I could not use the search function to research! ;-)

Thanks,

Matt

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Search Function Problems
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 13:39:46 »
One work-around:

Go to Google, and use this search parameter: site:forums.milnet.ca Your Search Terms

That will work for all boards open to the public.  Private boards, like those for Subscribers (and presumably for the Directing Staff) are not indexed by Google.

Mike, the site's owner, knows about the issue, and is working to try to tweak the server; problem is, as popularity of the site continues to increase, the hardware gets under icnreasing stress.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline matthew1786

• Rate Post
Re: Search Function Problems
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 13:42:26 »
Thank you.

I just noticed that about a dozen threads down, someone else posted about this. My apologies.

Admins: go ahead and delete this thread at your convenience.

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 15:10:21 »
I've also been having problems using the search function over the past week.

Furthermore, although I usually use the navy.ca incarnation of army.ca, I cannot even access navy.ca today.

Thus I was forced to just log on to the main army.ca site just to post this.

Our Country
--------------------------------
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves."   - Lao Zi (老子)
-------------------------------------------
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 16:47:46 »
I've also been having problems using the search function over the past week.

Furthermore, although I usually use the navy.ca incarnation of army.ca, I cannot even access navy.ca today.

Thus I was forced to just log on to the main army.ca site just to post this.

As was I.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 18:13:51 »
That's because he fixed Army.ca properly, but left those copycats alone......green is good!!  ;D
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe