Author Topic: Milpoint suggestion  (Read 13567 times)

Online ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Milpoint suggestion
« on: February 22, 2013, 21:41:59 »
My dyslexia has gotten me on this a few times and I've seen it happen to others as well.

Can it be set up so if you award / deduct Milpoints for something bad aka you select "trolling," that it won't let you accidentally award a positive number. And vice versa, of course.

It's happened to me a few times where I've awarded someone for being an clown unfortunately (aka 10 seconds ago).
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
Re: Milpoint suggestion
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 08:53:50 »
I've done that as well, and you can't correct your error.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 08:59:05 »
Could you incorporate something similar as I've seen and used on other sites such as a thumbs up or down with the present rewards/punishments points possibilities?  I've made the same mistakes as the others in the past as well and a well defined thumbs up/down would be easier on tired/old eyes.
I'm just like the CAF, I seem to have retention issues.

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:02:38 »
Ditto, all of the above.
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline BeyondTheNow

I came. I saw. I made it awkward...

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 10:27:05 »
Could you incorporate something similar as I've seen and used on other sites such as a thumbs up or down with the present rewards/punishments points possibilities?  I've made the same mistakes as the others in the past as well and a well defined thumbs up/down would be easier on tired/old eyes.

I like this idea also.
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 10:46:46 »
Maybe you shouldn't be giving negative MilPoints.

I've heard it hurts people's feelings....and their ability to self-actualize.....and crap like that.  :nod:

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 11:13:23 »
Maybe you shouldn't be giving negative MilPoints.

I've heard it hurts people's feelings....and their ability to self-actualize.....and crap like that.  :nod:

Sometimes you just have to learn, LIFE SUCKS.
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 12:33:14 »
I will add myself to the refrain of asking for an interface change to this. I once gave busconductor +300 for one of the most inane cases of oxygen-theft I'e ever come across. I cried myself to sleep later out of shame.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 15:31:52 »
I will add myself to the refrain of asking for an interface change to this. I once gave busconductor +300 for one of the most inane cases of oxygen-theft I'e ever come across. I cried myself to sleep later out of shame.

We know you have a higher degree of guilt for crap like that then most men, but for frig's sake, it wasn't a beer glass! ;D

You can always PM a mod and ask to have it corrected, if that mod has time they might just help - especially for some of our more touched special snowflakes.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 18:23:04 »
ou can always PM a mod and ask to have it corrected, if that mod has time they might just help - especially for some of our more touched special snowflakes.

You can do that?  :facepalm:

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline Sigs Pig

• Rate Post
  • Don't wake the bear...
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 22:47:40 »
Sometimes you just have to learn, LIFE SUCKS.

That was my first reaction to the OPs suggestion.

Screw up, give yerself -300. Should help the restless nights then.

ME
We work to eat to get the strength to work to eat to get the strength to work.
- John Dos Passos, 1896 - 1970

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 13:26:48 »
Yeah, just need proper display name or user number and we can apply or subtract any amount, so it seems. I just awarded and took away 5 MP on myself so it stands to reason that the number could be anything, Mike would know for sure. He might chime in after his wife unchains him. Or he's on ex.

I've only done it a handful of times and only by request, but that's me.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 13:34:15 »
And here when I made the mistake and gave someone +300 instead of -300, I used another 600 milpoints to bring the final tally to -300.  Oh well, I rarely use Milpoints anyways but it's good to know you guys can fix it a year from now when I get around to using Milpoints (again) and screw it up (again)!

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 13:42:29 »
I'd look at it like three chances to tell someone off. The first one would confuse them because of the positive MP, the second would bring the tally to zero but give you another chance to chirp them. The third would smack the point home.

It's nice seeing them used and I know I've foundmyself looking into MP history to track problem users, the more comments the better, too!
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 13:50:19 »
.... the more comments the better, too!
  OK    >:D

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 14:31:44 »
I'd look at it like three chances to tell someone off. The first one would confuse them because of the positive MP, the second would bring the tally to zero but give you another chance to chirp them. The third would smack the point home.

It's nice seeing them used and I know I've foundmyself looking into MP history to track problem users, the more comments the better, too!
Haha, exactly what I did.

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 14:37:16 »
  OK    >:D

You were doing fine without the encouragement.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 14:49:56 »

Can it be set up so if you award / deduct Milpoints for something bad aka you select "trolling," that it won't let you accidentally award a positive number. And vice versa, of course.

A poor suggestion to my mind.  What if one wanted to award points for an entirely inappropriate post?  Sometimes there are things written on these means that are aggressive, misleading, off topic, trolling, spam or inappropriate but oh so perfect.  Granted this thread sparked the idea, but I thought this recent post falls into that category and thus deserving of Milpoints.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Online ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 15:09:24 »
A poor suggestion to my mind.  What if one wanted to award points for an entirely inappropriate post?  Sometimes there are things written on these means that are aggressive, misleading, off topic, trolling, spam or inappropriate but oh so perfect.  Granted this thread sparked the idea, but I thought this recent post falls into that category and thus deserving of Milpoints.

Well, I would have just called it "humerous" or something, but I guess there is an outlying chance you might want to use it like that...
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller

Online ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 19:04:42 »
"humerous"

Argh, kratz got me... humorous. :facepalm:
- Helen Keller

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 23:13:49 »
Another suggestion:

Can you develop a routine that automatically deletes any topic with a title that contains the words "what are my chances" ? ;D

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline C.G.R

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 01:40:30 »
How about having to do a mandatory search before being able to start a new topic in the recruiting thread.
Don't outsmart your common sense.

Offline Jester_TG

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 09:25:39 »
Doh!

I just did this...lol. Gave +25 for a trolling post. Ahaha
That was some of the best flying I've seen to date - right up to the part where you got killed.