Author Topic: General Questions regarding your application [MERGED]  (Read 429860 times)

Offline akm

• Rate Post
Re: General Questions regarding your application [MERGED]
« Reply #825 on: June 02, 2017, 10:27:13 »
Much appreciated, thank you!

Additional questions I was not able to find answers for;

1. Regarding the sections in the application for extracurricular activity, athletic activity, and leadership roles, there is a the chance to briefly elaborate. Should this elaboration be done list-style like a resume, or through short sentences (or is either fine)?

2. If an activity spans multiple of the above categories (eg captain of a sports team, leader of a club) how should it be formatted? Should I have it mentioned in all three, and elaborated in the most relevant section? Or should I only contain it to one specific section, and not mention it at all in the others?

Offline Rockhead084

• Rate Post
Will having had worked in Iraq as a civilian work against me?
« Reply #826 on: July 05, 2017, 16:40:20 »
So i was talking to a recruiter and  he asked me if i had traveled before and i said yes.

I have roughly been to 20 different countries and of course one of those countries was Iraq.  I told him i worked in Oil exploration and that i went there for work because at the time it was the only contract my company could get to keep the company afloat and me employed, at the time.

He said i would more than likely be disqualified from joining the army even though i have a wealth of civilian work experience and multiple technical diplomas in the sciences and technology. I'm also in very good shape, no criminal record at all and have a great credit history but i'm beginning to think that won't matter now.

Why would they automatically disqualify me? Are people who immigrate here from there who then try to join our army in turn denied in the same manner by virtue of being from that area or area similar?

Wouldn't they want somebody who has traveled the world already, earned work experiences in different fields and with a lot of different educational background to join the army in the first place?

Just confused

Thanks

Offline Rockhead084

• Rate Post
« Reply #827 on: July 05, 2017, 17:45:35 »
I still don't understand though, i haven't lived in another country and i don't live abroad. I live in Canada and don't have a criminal record at all.

I've seen that excerpt from the website and i don't think it adequately address's my situation nor did the recruiter who refused to answer more than simply saying only that i would be disqualified help either.

Why would he say i would be disqualified outright without going into detail?

Offline clmarr

• Rate Post
« Reply #828 on: July 12, 2017, 17:31:25 »
I think that is an overly pessimistic (personal) view from the recruiter and I would not be too worried about it if I were you. You will eventually be required to list all your trips abroad and add some explanations if you judge it necessary. They might bring your trip to Iraq on the table during the reliability/pre-security interview and be ready to answer. I have visited over 20 countries as well, some of which are Arab and in the Middle East (no Iraq, Syria or Afghanistan though) and I am not concerned.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:24:37 by clmarr »
Recruiting Center: Ottawa
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Officer/ NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: AVS
Trade Choice 2: AVN
Trade Choice 3: ACS
Online Application: Nov 29, 2016
First Contact: Nov 30, 2016
CFAT: Jan 18, 2017
Lasik surgery: Feb 13, 2017
Reliability Interview / Pre-Security Interview: July 26, 2017
Medical:
Interview:
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Swearing In:
BMQ:

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #829 on: July 12, 2017, 19:50:04 »
Depending on the length of time in those countries, it may or may not be an issue. It's also very relevant that you were in those countries for work reasons, not leisure travel. Work visas means more of a paper trail that the security folks can get access to. There are so many variables for security clearances/preclearances that you'd get a migraine trying to sort it out. Gather all the information you can about each of the trips, including length of stay, where you stayed, why you were there, etc. and provide that when requested.

At the end of the day, your recruiter doesn't make that call, the Ottawa Security folks do. If they deem you will be unable to obtain a security clearance, your application is closed. You'll also note that those people who join from other countries are now Canadian citizens, and went through security screening like you will.

Offline WFlett

• Looking to join the military to hone my skills as a leader and gain new ones while traveling the world.
  • Rate Post
  • Looking for answers, training, experience & skills
« Reply #830 on: August 05, 2017, 01:28:03 »
I'm quite sure this question hasn't been asked before, as it is quite unique;

Currently I am traveling across Canada on a motorized peddle bicycle I built, camping and living off the land, living a free life. I've chosen to do this as a life-experience and plan to do so until I join the military, if it so accepts me.

My question is, if I have no place of permanent residence or mailing address and live a nomadic life, is there any way that it's possible for me to still apply? Or would it be necessary for me to live somewhere for a specific amount of time before hand?

I plan to join the Regular Forces, live on base, work full-time and be trained for everything and anything possible within the military. I plan to make this a life-long career, not so much within a specific trade, but at least within the military. This is something I am still researching to find out exactly what I should look to apply for, unless a trade is not specifically necessary.

On a side note, I have several trades, experience and skills under my belt and can do anything I set my mind to, but would rather focus on military training instead of trades.

I have much more information that I've outlined in a thread on army.ca, if anyone so chooses to check it out. Any contributions are helpful and welcomed.

http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,126267.0.html
I've never owned any fire-arms and have only shot a basic .22 rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun.

Based on my research, when I purchase any fire-arms, they would be:

My dream rifle: IWI - Tavor or X-95 (have to use myself)
My dream pistol: Sig Sauer - P226 MK25
My dream shotgun: Kel-Tek - KSG

I like my bull-pups. Can't wait to see each in action.

Offline JMei001

• Rate Post
« Reply #831 on: August 11, 2017, 19:50:44 »
Hey Puckchaser,

I've already asked this in another thread with no more than 1 answer so I'll ask again here; I called my recruiter to follow up on my application since no news from my aptitude test 2 weeks ago, he said I passed and qualified for my trade, however, it's bizarre since I didn't receive an email saying so? The only email I received is one the day of the test acknowledging that I've completed the first step of the application process with a document named 'Acceptance'. Just wondering other peoples experience when receiving news of acceptance, how that worked, their process, and thoughts about my specific situation,

Thank you
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 19:58:02 by JMei001 »

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #832 on: August 11, 2017, 21:57:01 »
Hey Puckchaser,

I've already asked this in another thread with no more than 1 answer so I'll ask again here; I called my recruiter to follow up on my application since no news from my aptitude test 2 weeks ago, he said I passed and qualified for my trade, however, it's bizarre since I didn't receive an email saying so? The only email I received is one the day of the test acknowledging that I've completed the first step of the application process with a document named 'Acceptance'. Just wondering other peoples experience when receiving news of acceptance, how that worked, their process, and thoughts about my specific situation,

Thank you

I recieved 1 email saying they got my application, and another email when they booked my medical/interview. That's been it for my entire process. Don't expect emails for every step of your process. Call your CFRC.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline JMei001

• Rate Post
« Reply #833 on: August 11, 2017, 21:58:27 »
I recieved 1 email saying they got my application, and another email when they booked my medical/interview. That's been it for my entire process. Don't expect emails for every step of your process. Call your CFRC.

You didn't get an email notifying you if you passed/qualified or failed?

Offline BeyondTheNow

I came. I saw. I made it awkward...

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #834 on: August 12, 2017, 19:56:00 »
You didn't get an email notifying you if you passed/qualified or failed?

I haven't heard of ANYone receiving an email explicitly stating if they were successful or not on their CFAT. Your best advice is to, yes, inquire with your CFRC.
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline jwb

• Rate Post
Time Limit on Application
« Reply #835 on: August 13, 2017, 11:12:51 »
I applied to join the reserves last year in March though because of various issues, such as my living in the UK previously, the medical test didn't clear until this March. Is there a time limit on when my application expires? After checking into the recruitment office in March, I haven't gotten any word in regards to my application since, and as the position is still vacant on the recruiting website, I would like to know if I either have to redo anything that may have expired in the meantime or redo the recruitment process altogether. I know the process takes a long time, but I'd just like to be sure I have everything covered.

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
Re: Time Limit on Application
« Reply #836 on: August 13, 2017, 12:51:28 »
I applied to join the reserves last year in March though because of various issues, such as my living in the UK previously, the medical test didn't clear until this March. Is there a time limit on when my application expires? After checking into the recruitment office in March, I haven't gotten any word in regards to my application since, and as the position is still vacant on the recruiting website, I would like to know if I either have to redo anything that may have expired in the meantime or redo the recruitment process altogether. I know the process takes a long time, but I'd just like to be sure I have everything covered.

Your best option, as always, is to contact your local CFRC. You should be calling in once a month to check the status of your application just to be safe.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline JMei001

• Rate Post
« Reply #837 on: August 13, 2017, 22:14:55 »
I had to fix up my background check because of my extensive travel (vacation purpose) history, it took up 3 pages (15 entries) of the vacation section since I'm 16! (7 years,), they said as soon as its been checked off and completed I can call and book my medical/physical/interview since I've already passed and qualified for my trade. How long does this take around? (Other than my travel history, I've been at the same address in the past 15 years, and don't hold dual citizenship, no criminal record, just very basic information.

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
« Reply #838 on: August 14, 2017, 01:17:52 »
I had to fix up my background check because of my extensive travel (vacation purpose) history, it took up 3 pages (15 entries) of the vacation section since I'm 16! (7 years,), they said as soon as its been checked off and completed I can call and book my medical/physical/interview since I've already passed and qualified for my trade. How long does this take around? (Other than my travel history, I've been at the same address in the past 15 years, and don't hold dual citizenship, no criminal record, just very basic information.

Mariomike will probably be in here with some links but he will tell you like everyone else to use the search function on the forums as there are dozens of threads on the things you're asking and noones file/application is the same. The first time I joined the forces it took maybe 2 months back in 2010. Now that I am applying again its been around 5 months and probably another 2 to wait.

Offline dtcs15

• Rate Post
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
« Reply #839 on: August 14, 2017, 09:45:11 »
Thank you for taking your time!

1.) Any position for me will do, what is the usual acceptance rate? I've heard last year, 4,500 out of 40,000 applicants were accepted, that is a lot lower than I thought.

2.) What is the usual wait time from the time you apply to the time you enroll? (Assuming they accept you)

3.) I've been living abroad for more than 14 years now, and most of my family lives abroad too. What are the chances I need a Clearance Pre-Assessment?

4.) Since it'll be the Clearance Pre-Assessment taking the most time(6-18 months), can I complete this step abroad, and before all the other steps(e.g. aptitude test, medical exam...)?

Thank you again!

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
Re: Any help would be greatly appreciated!
« Reply #840 on: August 14, 2017, 13:22:51 »
Thank you for taking your time!

1.) Any position for me will do, what is the usual acceptance rate? I've heard last year, 4,500 out of 40,000 applicants were accepted, that is a lot lower than I thought.

2.) What is the usual wait time from the time you apply to the time you enroll? (Assuming they accept you)

3.) I've been living abroad for more than 14 years now, and most of my family lives abroad too. What are the chances I need a Clearance Pre-Assessment?

4.) Since it'll be the Clearance Pre-Assessment taking the most time(6-18 months), can I complete this step abroad, and before all the other steps(e.g. aptitude test, medical exam...)?

Thank you again!

All of this has already been asked, use the search bar in the forums to find your answers...or call your local CFRC.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #841 on: August 14, 2017, 23:19:13 »
Mariomike will probably be in here with some links but he will tell you like everyone else to use the search function on the forums as there are dozens of threads on the things you're asking and noones file/application is the same.

No, I would never do that.  :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 23:21:51 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
« Reply #842 on: August 16, 2017, 03:09:59 »
I've been searching on the forums for something maybe mariomike can point me to a thread that specifically talks about this but I haven't had any luck and i've tried a bunch of search strings.

If Comms Rsrch Op is my number 1 choice and MP is my second choice, will I be put on the competition list for Comms Rsrch Op even though I haven't done the interview with the MP Sgt that is required for MP or do I have to complete the process for MP before even being put on any competition list?

Cheers.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #843 on: August 16, 2017, 08:03:29 »
For a definitive answer, probably best to wait for our Recruiting moderator: Buck_HRA.

Good luck, EpicBeardedMan.  :)

Offline TheHaddadz

• Rate Post
Question applying online
« Reply #844 on: August 17, 2017, 16:45:49 »
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to apply for ROTP as either Pilot or Infantry Officer (my main choices). When I'm applying it asks where do you wanna be (Air Force, Army, Navy) and then you get to choose your occupation. I want to put my occupation as Pilot or Inf. Officer but it wont let me put both at the same time. If I chose Air Force I can pick Pilot but not Inf. Officer and vice-versa with Army. I already went to a recruiter and they were conviced that I was doing something wrong and that I can pick both... I deleted the application twice to see if it was some error but the same thing happens. So can someone enlighten me, what I am doing wrong or if I can even pick both at the same time? Thanks!

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Question applying online
« Reply #845 on: August 17, 2017, 16:53:17 »
I'm trying to apply for ROTP as either Pilot or Infantry Officer (my main choices). When I'm applying it asks where do you wanna be (Air Force, Army, Navy) and then you get to choose your occupation. I want to put my occupation as Pilot or Inf. Officer but it wont let me put both at the same time. If I chose Air Force I can pick Pilot but not Inf. Officer and vice-versa with Army. I already went to a recruiter and they were conviced that I was doing something wrong and that I can pick both... I deleted the application twice to see if it was some error but the same thing happens. So can someone enlighten me, what I am doing wrong or if I can even pick both at the same time? Thanks!

See also,

I'm confused on something, how is it possible to apply for Pilot as #1 choice and Infantry Officer as #2? When applying online, Pilot is only given to those choosing RCAF and infantry to those who chose Army. Is this something you let the recruiter know before sending application? Please correct me if I am wrong, thanks

Offline TheHaddadz

• Rate Post
« Reply #846 on: August 17, 2017, 17:06:58 »
You can see from the attached photo that there is no option for Infantry Officer... I tried getting an answer before hand but it was very confusing because i couldn't see those options. If anyone can advise that would be greatly appreciated, thanks again.

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
« Reply #847 on: August 17, 2017, 17:15:12 »
You can see from the attached photo that there is no option for Infantry Officer... I tried getting an answer before hand but it was very confusing because i couldn't see those options. If anyone can advise that would be greatly appreciated, thanks again.

Couldn't you apply for one and then when the CFRC initially contacts you, inform them that you'd like to add the other onto your file? Seems to be the obvious fix for this.

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #848 on: August 18, 2017, 10:11:03 »
Seems my hiatus from being sick has taken a toll on this thread too :-)
Some answers...

I applied to join the reserves last year in March though because of various issues...

Although you've been directed to your CFRC, your contact should be with the Reserve Unit that you're wishing to join.  All the CFRC does for files for Reservists is process paperwork, for any decisions in regards to who can join that is purely up to the Reserve Unit (or Brigade for Army Units).

If Comms Rsrch Op is my number 1 choice and MP is my second choice, will I be put on the competition list for Comms Rsrch Op even though I haven't done the interview with the MP Sgt that is required for MP or do I have to complete the process for MP before even being put on any competition list?

Traditionally if you have done everything else (interview, medical, etc) that would enable you to put on the Competition List if you didn't select MP as your 2nd choice your file would still move forward.  With that said CAF Recruiting is reaching that time in the year where files are put on hold in various stages of the process simply because there are people in the process that fill the required numbers.  Your best bet is to contact your CFRC and ask them for a status update on your file.

As per the suggestion from EpicBeardedMan (good suggestion!), pick your favourite of the two; once your file is sent from CFRG HQ to your CFRC and you contact your CFRC to set up an appointment to write your CFAT ask them to update your file to include your 2nd choice.  The website is what it is, there are plans on coming out with a more user friendly site, but that is still in the works - in the meantime just submit what you can and ask for the CFRC to fix it once you make initial contact with them.

Offline JMei001

• Rate Post
« Reply #849 on: August 21, 2017, 21:03:59 »
If you've received an email to book Interview and Medical, is this indicative you've passed the pre-assessment clearance? (I've already used the search function)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk