Author Topic: “No Easy Day": book by SEAL who participated in Osama Bin Laden raid  (Read 22648 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
From deep within my armchair....

While I'm glad they killed him, I'm concerned that they didn't use the opportunity to keep him under surveillance over a period of years to determine more about his network.

It's easy to go and knock off the head guy. It's harder, and more effective in the long term, to run a long term covert op to seek out and destroy his entire network. We're seeing the results of some of that short term thinking in Africa right now, I would guess.

Having seen the movie 'Zero double dark and dirty', I assume that they had to whack him when they had the chance, otherwise short term politcal and bureaucratic imperatives would result in UBL getting away at some point.

Good work, but a shame.... the usual paradox one encounters when dealing with COIN ops.  ;)

"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
But what you assume is that there is a robust cohesive network to hunt down. In reality it is a loose association of groups that work under the name of Al Qaeda, but have little more than that in common.

As a comparison, it's more like the Militia Movement in the United States. A bunch of individual groups that have no formal connection between each other, but may briefly share information, logistics or personnel when it suits each groups purpose.
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Aug 19, 2016

Ex-SEAL to pay $6.6 million to settle case over book
http://www.680news.com/2016/08/19/ex-seal-to-pay-6-6-million-to-settle-case-over-book/
WASHINGTON – The former Navy SEAL who wrote a book about his role in the raid that killed Osama bin Laden will pay the government more than $6.6 million for violating non-disclosure agreements and publishing without getting the document cleared by the Defence Department, according to federal court documents.