Author Topic: Announcing the Battle Procedure Aide Memoire for iPhone/iPad  (Read 87846 times)

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
Re: Announcing the Battle Procedure Aide Memoire for iPhone/iPad
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2012, 13:16:42 »
Hmm. Maybe a new topic with useful apps to have is up.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,105836.msg1141620/topicseen.html#new

You've got 2 apps right there I'd love to have... hope they have Android versions.

Dunno if they have an android app, but the radio link calculator is awesome
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2013, 22:08:01 »
So any chance of anyone making a BlackBerry 10 version of this App?
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2013, 06:54:45 »
Honest assessment: no. At least not in any sort of reasonable timeframe. The next platform would be Android, and work hasn't started on that yet. :)

Offline FreeFloat

• I void warranties
  • Rate Post
  • This space for rent
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2013, 15:11:38 »
I just headed to the iTunes store for this app and it claims it requires a minimum iOS of 6.0 in order to run (version 2.5).  Is that accurate?  I'm keeping my iPhone 3GS on iOS 5.x on purpose, but I'd still like this app.  Is there a way to download former versions of the app or is there one available that doesn't "require" iOS 6?
FreeFloat

The one with the big stick stirring

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2013, 15:16:31 »
I just headed to the iTunes store for this app and it claims it requires a minimum iOS of 6.0 in order to run (version 2.5).  Is that accurate?  I'm keeping my iPhone 3GS on iOS 5.x on purpose, but I'd still like this app.  Is there a way to download former versions of the app or is there one available that doesn't "require" iOS 6?

I may be wrong, Mike will have to confirm, but I believe this is the first and only version that is out there.
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2013, 15:32:23 »
I was running it on my iPhone 4 when I was still on iOS 5.0/5.1.

YMMV.

Regards
G2G

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2013, 19:39:21 »
My iPhone 4 still is iOS 5.1 and it's on their.  With the latest jailbreak of the 6.1 I have to get around to updating and jailbreaking it so I can finally install the latest version of this app.
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2013, 12:00:06 »
The current version does have a listed requirement of iOS 6, as a result of some of the new frameworks I've included in the app. Unfortunately only the most recent version is made available by Apple. You can try browsing to it in the iTunes store on your device, but I suspect it won't show as an option until you're at V6.

Offline NinerSix

is getting the itch to deploy.

• Attitude re-adjuster
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Car guy learning to drive
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2014, 08:55:06 »
I've had this app for a while and find it quite usefull.

Apparently a bunch of my platoon mates discovered it last night and are making it through it features. General thoughts right now can be resumed as: Awesome.

We would like to have included the patrol report in the reports and returns section. I find the navigation of the map symbols a bit tedious, but don't have an easy solution to offer.

Is there a button for "purchase all" that I missed somewhere?

Well done.

Edit: found the patrol report.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 10:05:45 by NinerSix »
The process is not the mission.

Offline 26point2

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2014, 10:04:56 »
Found it useful also, too bad I couldn't have my phone when I did Vimy this past week.

Offline armymen

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2014, 10:44:07 »
Cant wait for the Android version

Offline mackcs212

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2014, 23:47:09 »
I concur. Sucks that only people with iPhones can use it, worse off it seems that iPhones are dwindling nowadays compared to android platforms. But looking forward to android app release
There's no hel, like Tac Hel

Offline armymen

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2014, 01:14:12 »
The sad part the original app was made in 2012, we are in 2014 now. And I would be ready to pay for the app. There is more Android phone right now then Apple phone. Would be realy nice too see that app for android. And im sure I would not be the only one that would pay for that apps to be made !!! :D

Offline blackberet17

• "The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept." - LGen David Morrison, Chief of Army, Australia
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2014, 12:29:16 »
I'm a little slow to the convo...

Step 1 - Receive Wng O
Step 2 - Quick Map, Quick Time
Step 3 - Issue Initial Wng O
Step 4 - Receive Os
Step 5 - Msn Analysis

...is what I have been taught the last four years, then taught it myself last year.

Mike's app (which I don't have, I'm on a BB) has it:

Step 3 - Receive Os
Step 4 - Msn Analysis
Step 5 - Issue Initial Wng O

I'm halfway through Mod II of ATOC, and came across that same way for the BP steps again.

So...I take off to orders, without my guys knowing where I'm going, how long I'll be, or when and where my orders will be?

Sorry if this has been explained before, but the Search function being disabled and all...

Edit: Checked with a couple of my troops fresh of PLQ, and they were given the second way as well. I'm at civi work, so can't check B-GL-300-003-FP-001, Command. Anyone?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 13:51:02 by blackberet17 »
« Ne vous occupez pas d'eux; ils ne savent pas tirer. [...] Il y a des ennemis devant nous, derrière nous et sur nos flancs. Il ne reste qu'une place sans danger, soit vers l'objectif. » Paul Triquet, VC

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2014, 17:22:16 »
That is the way it is written in our Pams, to issue your warning order after you have received your orders and done mission analysis.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.

Offline jeffb

Really needs to stop buying guns... .

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
    • Afghan Ops
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2014, 19:07:36 »
Can you add command relationships on the app as well? OPCOM, OPCON, etc?
~ Ubique ~
Simple is better except when complicated looks really cool.

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2014, 11:53:41 »
So, bad news on the Android front, there hasn't been any movement on an Android app at all. It's still firmly "on the list" but no progress. The problem is, I'm not an Android developer* and don't have the time to become one these days. That means hiring someone else to do the development. Not impossible, but not simplistic (or cheap) either. So not likely to see any significant movement on this in the near term, but if anyone knows of a decent Java/Android developer, please send them my way.

With regards to the Battle Procedure order, it struck me as odd too, when the change was made. Same reason as mentioned before, which is that you want to get a Wng O out the door as quick as possible to encourage concurrent activity, and waiting to receive your orders seems like it would be "too late."

I have a theory on this though, which is that traditionally we approach Battle Procedure incorrectly. If we adhere to the "1/3 for me 2/3 for my subordinates" rule then by the time I'm done my quick map study and time estimate, my comd should be bearing down on me with orders. Normally though, there is a significant gap between the Wng O and the Op O, which translates into wasted time and lost opportunity if you don't issue a Wng O yourself.

Can you add command relationships on the app as well? OPCOM, OPCON, etc?

It's actually there, under Issue Orders --> Atts & Dets, but I've now added a direct link to it under the Reference section - thanks!

* I'm not an iOS developer either, but I bashed my way through for the most part.

Offline blackberet17

• "The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept." - LGen David Morrison, Chief of Army, Australia
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2014, 13:23:02 »
With regards to the Battle Procedure order, it struck me as odd too, when the change was made. Same reason as mentioned before, which is that you want to get a Wng O out the door as quick as possible to encourage concurrent activity, and waiting to receive your orders seems like it would be "too late."

I have a theory on this though, which is that traditionally we approach Battle Procedure incorrectly. If we adhere to the "1/3 for me 2/3 for my subordinates" rule then by the time I'm done my quick map study and time estimate, my comd should be bearing down on me with orders. Normally though, there is a significant gap between the Wng O and the Op O, which translates into wasted time and lost opportunity if you don't issue a Wng O yourself.

I ended up posting the question on my FB page to my CF friends and colleagues, and it turned into a nice discussion. According to one pal, the second method of BP, whereby Receive Orders-Msn Analysis-Issue Initial Wng O, is from the Tactics/Leadership school. And it has been in effect for a few years. Or it's the new standard, being taught at ATOC. I dunno. My tps fresh off PLQ are saying they got the "new" way.

I'm obviously not sure where or if a disconnect occurred, but the Armour School (and what I learned on CAP/BMOQ-L actually) teaches the first way. As we've pointed out, this ensures - in the case of a Frag/Radio Wng O for example - tps have a basic idea of what's happening and where and why you as the comd are GTFOOD all of a sudden, and where your sub-comds need to be and roughly when, so they can receive their orders.

The same pal indicated the CTC method is derived from idea that the warning order you received may not be valid, so if you issue a warning order before you know what your actual task it, it creates confusion, hindering what you will have to accomplish in the confirmed mission.

I countered with that's what the Amended/Supplementary Wng O is for!

:brickwall:
« Ne vous occupez pas d'eux; ils ne savent pas tirer. [...] Il y a des ennemis devant nous, derrière nous et sur nos flancs. Il ne reste qu'une place sans danger, soit vers l'objectif. » Paul Triquet, VC

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2014, 14:12:49 »
The CAF has fixed what wasn't broken, but refuses to fix what IS broken. :facepalm:
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline PanaEng

• Rate Post
    • You Know everything now
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2014, 14:33:07 »
 BP is a tool that is used by leadership at all levels to ensure that operations are planned and conducted in as efficient and effective manner as possible;  as all situations differ from one another, so will your application of BP - time and resources are the biggest factors. Either way is fine provided the situation warrants it.

Myself, I lean towards the WngO asap - of course you are not going to start assigning tasks and committing troops to a COA at this stage (but depends on situation again);  maybe just getting troops and eqpt ready, ordering required supplies, etc. you only task something that most likely won't change but give warning of possible tasks. As a competent leader it is your responsibility to know the difference and not have your troops loading up mines when in the end you are doing a water crossing.
Now I am SAS or SWAT dude ;-)
see:
Quote from: RHFC_piper ink=topic=51916.msg617784#msg617784 date=1190404708

The 'pana" is a play on the Greek 'pan' meaning 'all' or 'encompassing' - not quite but similar to UBIQUE
some think I just misspelled "para" :-)

Offline PanaEng

• Rate Post
    • You Know everything now
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2014, 14:36:35 »
I would like to help but at the moment I'm pretty busy with AOC.
Downloaded the toolkit but haven't done much hacking yet; maybe in August.
Now I am SAS or SWAT dude ;-)
see:
Quote from: RHFC_piper ink=topic=51916.msg617784#msg617784 date=1190404708

The 'pana" is a play on the Greek 'pan' meaning 'all' or 'encompassing' - not quite but similar to UBIQUE
some think I just misspelled "para" :-)

Offline blackberet17

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2014, 15:34:27 »
[...] not have your troops loading up mines when in the end you are doing a water crossing.

What's wrong with mines when you're doing a water crossing? Nothing wrong with a little fishing on the side!  ;)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2014, 09:02:11 »
Nice job !!

Offline blackberet17

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2014, 10:19:16 »
Just to wrap up my previous post.

It turns out the Armour School teaches the steps as I previously outlined. According to my DS at the Tactics School, Armour School formalized someting it is "permitted" IAW doctrine and BP to do so, i.e., to issue a Wng O when you have sufficient information to pass onto your troops.

The way the Tactics School teaches (or prioritizes?) its 16 Steps of BP is Army-wide doctrine.

Sorry Air Force and Navy, you guys are on your own  ;D probably why I found a 17 Steps of BP on the Navy forum!

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2015, 16:47:27 »
I upgraded my IPad 3 to iOS 9 and now the Battle Procedure app is no longer working.  The Military Terms and Military History app are working fine though. Maybe someone else can try on a different IPad or an IPhone to see if they are having issues also or if it is just me.