Author Topic: CPC Leadership Discussion 2020-21  (Read 58659 times)

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
Re: CPC Leadership Discussion 2020-21
« Reply #225 on: February 13, 2020, 00:00:23 »
Got another new one endorsed by Campaign Life Coalition.

Leslyn Lewis, Toronto Lawyer, Running For Conservative Party Leadership
She has been endorsed by the Campaign Life Coalition.

OTTAWA — Toronto lawyer Leslyn Lewis has become the first woman approved to run for the federal Conservative party leadership, saying she wants the job to bring courage and compassion back to politics.

She declined an interview request Wednesday, as she has most mainstream-media queries in recent weeks as she’s been building her profile among party activists and with third-party organizations, including the Campaign Life Coalition.

The pro-life group has endorsed her, and she also counts among her supporters Charles McVety, a prominent Christian activist who has called her a “breath of fresh air” as a strong Christian woman who is anti-abortion and in support of traditional marriage.

McVety and the Campaign Life Coalition come from different wings within the socially conservative right in Canada, a faction of the Conservative movement that has had major influence on leadership campaigns in past years.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/leslyn-lewis-conservative-leadership-race_ca_5e44500ac5b61b84d3443705?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #226 on: February 13, 2020, 09:49:36 »
Got another new one endorsed by Campaign Life Coalition.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/leslyn-lewis-conservative-leadership-race_ca_5e44500ac5b61b84d3443705?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

Ran and lost by a minus ( - ) 33 % margin in Scarborough - Rouge Park ( Toronto ) as the Conservative candidate in the 2015 federal election.

https://www.elections.ca/Scripts/vis/PastResults?L=e&ED=35097&EV=99&EV_TYPE=6&PC=&PROV=&PROVID=&MAPID=&QID=11&PAGEID=28&TPAGEID=&PD=&STAT_CODE_ID=-1

The pro-life group has endorsed her, and she also counts among her supporters Charles McVety, a prominent Christian activist who has called her a “breath of fresh air” as a strong Christian woman who is anti-abortion

Opinions vary. But, a bit of history on the subject. Some of us may remember the late Chief Coroner of Ontario Morton Shulman,

In the Sixties, abortion could be legally performed only to save the life of the woman, so there were practically no legal abortions. He stated that the pregnant daughters of the rich were sent to reliable physicians who did abortions for cash. He estimated that these physicians did twenty to thirty abortions per week. Women who were not rich were left to perform an abortion on themselves or go to what he called a "nurse" abortionist. Their method was commonly pumping Lysol into the woman's womb. The mortality rate was high and the infection rate over 50%. He added, "By the time I became Chief Coroner, I had had the unpleasant experience of seeing the bodies of some dozens of young women who had died as a result of these amateur abortions."

Chief Coroner Morton Shulman decided to publicize deaths from illegal abortions. He instructed his coroners to call a public inquest into each abortion death. He describes one case that he believes was the turning point, that of 34-year-old Lottie Leanne Clarke, a mother of three children, who died of a massive infection in 1964 after an illegal abortion in spite of medical treatment and antibiotics. At the inquest into her death, the jury recommended that the laws about therapeutic abortion be revised. Dr. Shulman added that a federal government committee should review the question of abortion and the law. Newspapers published editorials recommending the reform of the abortion law. In 1965, the Minister of Justice, Guy Favreau, wrote to Dr. Shulman that the recommendation would be considered in the program to amend the Criminal Code. The eventual amendment closely followed the recommendations of the coroners' juries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Canada#Chief_Coroner_Schulman

and in support of traditional marriage.

Guess we won't be seeing her in the Pride parade.  :)

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 09:55:30 by mariomike »
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #227 on: February 13, 2020, 09:59:33 »
Guess we won't be seeing her in the Pride parade.  :)
I don't imagine we'll be seeing her in Parliament.

Another addition to the disarray of the Conservatives, ignoring the moderate centrist voters by appealing to the further right, which tends to only bleed off votes to the Libs/NDP (or abstain).   :not-again:

:2c:

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #228 on: February 13, 2020, 10:23:40 »

Another addition to the disarray of the Conservatives, ignoring the moderate centrist voters by appealing to the further right, which tends to only bleed off votes to the Libs/NDP (or abstain).   :not-again:

While this is conventional wisdom, I wonder how true this actually is? The rise of populism around the world is showing that the ole "left/right" divide that we grew up with don't really seem valid anymore, and appeals to voters now need to take many different factors into account.

The other issue is given Canada's regionalism and the re opening of old issues and wounds by the Liberals since 2015 (resulting in the rebirth of Western Separatism, Quebec separatism and a Populist government in Ontario) is probably more divisive for the Conservatives, since the issues which power Wexit, the Ford government, the CAQ and Bloc Quebecois are far different and even at cross purposes. I don't see how these very different issues and voter sets can be harnessed in a national movement or electoral campaign.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #229 on: February 13, 2020, 10:24:41 »

Yep.  Can't argue with that.

Hopefully they can get through this without too many self inflicted wounds. 
Optio

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #230 on: February 13, 2020, 10:32:16 »
While this is conventional wisdom, I wonder how true this actually is? The rise of populism around the world is showing that the ole "left/right" divide that we grew up with don't really seem valid anymore, and appeals to voters now need to take many different factors into account.

The other issue is given Canada's regionalism and the re opening of old issues and wounds by the Liberals since 2015 (resulting in the rebirth of Western Separatism, Quebec separatism and a Populist government in Ontario) is probably more divisive for the Conservatives, since the issues which power Wexit, the Ford government, the CAQ and Bloc Quebecois are far different and even at cross purposes. I don't see how these very different issues and voter sets can be harnessed in a national movement or electoral campaign.

I would argue that those regional issue are economical in nature.  Also as much as we can say that Ontario voted in a populist government, it was more about ousting a stale and financially irresponsible one.   Conservatives could develop a real fiscal platform, drop the whole social conservatism thing.  Talk about jobs and prosperity.  Getting back to good fiscal health and creating a middle power sphere of influence.  But if they ignore issues like the environment and don't get with the times on other social issues they will implode again.  And next election Trudeau won't have the same scandals hanging over him (mind you there is still time for that but even then they screwed it up last time).   
Optio

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #231 on: February 13, 2020, 10:38:03 »
I don't see how these very different issues and voter sets can be harnessed in a national movement or electoral campaign.
Mostly agree.  However, the system we're currently using can't just be wished away;  nation-wide parties have always had to contend with differing regional/local priorities. 

I have no magic solution.  :dunno:

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #232 on: February 13, 2020, 10:49:59 »
Conservatives could develop a real fiscal platform, drop the whole social conservatism thing. 

1 ) Nonetheless, over 70 per cent of the population now lives in a metropolitan area, and that proportion is growing. Not surprisingly, they aren’t voting Tory.

2 ) It is no longer a national political party, but a western alienation movement.

3 ) We are not only growing more urban, but we are becoming less white and less straight. The role of women in the workplace and household continues to evolve.

4 ) Canadians will embrace a politician they trust, someone who is self-evidently honest, someone who can still blush.

5 ) The vast majority of the jack-assery is coming from the CPC benches

6 ) Believe in climate change.

7 ) Now, it eschews market mechanisms like a carbon tax in favour of half-baked incentives, regulations and subsidies.

8 ) I want the next leader of the CPC to not care who I sleep with, what I smoke or what gender I choose.

9 ) Andrew Scheer ran on a very vague platform. Doug Ford didn’t have one at all.

10 ) They love to revel in the cheers of their hard core base, and to point fingers at other conservatives who aren’t as conservative as them. This will only keep you in opposition.

11 ) The CPC is not popular among female voters.
https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/ten-things-that-would-guarantee-the-new-cpc-leader-is-a-winner/

, the Ford government,

Unpopular at the provincial level,
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNSAgN894Z8KriG5RDUD8d6r4AONnw%3A1581608566170&ei=dm5FXoyGCpCRggfLsJuwCw&q=%22doug+ford%22+popularity&oq=%22doug+ford%22+popularity&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0..395928...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.goSCUfmSWww&ved=0ahUKEwiMmYqG787nAhWQiOAKHUvYBrYQ4dUDCAo#spf=1581608965140

and powers officially removed at the municipal level.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 14:32:25 by mariomike »
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #233 on: February 13, 2020, 16:30:49 »
You're taking tips from how the CPC should be led from the husband of Catherine McKenna?  :rofl:

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #234 on: February 13, 2020, 16:51:18 »
PuckChaser thought you were Misleading and noted "Partisan hitpiece from the spouse of a senior Liberal party member"

You're taking tips from how the CPC should be led from the husband of Catherine McKenna?

Original Post,

I rarely find anything of value in MacLean's (or from Scott Gilmore for that matter) but this one actually has some good points:

To see his ten points, go here:

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/ten-things-that-would-guarantee-the-new-cpc-leader-is-a-winner/

FJAG said, "has some good points".

Considering they lost the last two elections, which points do you disagree with?

Conservatives could develop a real fiscal platform, drop the whole social conservatism thing. 

Well said.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 17:14:56 by mariomike »

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #235 on: February 13, 2020, 18:49:31 »
And in the category of phrases the media has been waiting to say for years, Baird is out.
Putting the *** in acerbic.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #236 on: February 13, 2020, 19:09:37 »
FJAG said, "has some good points".

Considering they lost the last two elections, which points do you disagree with?

None of them, actually.

Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #237 on: February 13, 2020, 22:46:24 »
Ah yes, that list.
1 ) Nonetheless, over 70 per cent of the population now lives in a metropolitan area, and that proportion is growing. Not surprisingly, they aren’t voting Tory.
Yea. Good for them. I wouldn't want to live in a metropolitan city.

2 ) It is no longer a national political party, but a western alienation movement.
Good chuck of Ontario voted CPC, plus they won the popular vote.

3 ) We are not only growing more urban, but we are becoming less white and less straight. The role of women in the workplace and household continues to evolve.
Meaning?

4 ) Canadians will embrace a politician they trust, someone who is self-evidently honest, someone who can still blush.
Like someone who sexually assaults women, runs around with blackface and gets caught violating ethics rules. Something to be proud of there.

5 ) The vast majority of the jack-assery is coming from the CPC benches
Like, trying to coerce a justice minister to do political favors for one of the most corrupt companies in Canada and banned by the world bank?

6 ) Believe in climate change.
Has the conservative party officially said climate change doesn't exist?

7 ) Now, it eschews market mechanisms like a carbon tax in favour of half-baked incentives, regulations and subsidies.
Carbon tax is garbage.

8 ) I want the next leader of the CPC to not care who I sleep with, what I smoke or what gender I choose.
So you can smoke crack cocaine and call yourself a trans pan sexual daywalker vampire. That's cool.

9 ) Andrew Scheer ran on a very vague platform. Doug Ford didn’t have one at all.
And neither sexually assaulted a woman or ran around making a joke at black peoples expense.

10 ) They love to revel in the cheers of their hard core base, and to point fingers at other conservatives who aren’t as conservative as them. This will only keep you in opposition.
Jesus. Have you ever seen Liberals go at each other? Their you're not progressive enough!! attack mode?

11 ) The CPC is not popular among female voters.
Not according to Ipsos or Abacus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_2019_Canadian_federal_election#Voter_demographics

**Edited the colour for a very special poster  ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 23:34:08 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #238 on: February 13, 2020, 22:58:59 »
Jarnhamar thought you were Misleading and noted "Sorry brother, thats a shitty article"

Thanks. FJAG posted the original. Reply #210.
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,131363.msg1596310.html#msg1596310

None of them, actually.

Ah yes, that list.

Have to wait for the next election to see who is right.  :)

"I wouldn't want to live in a metropolitan city."

That's where the jobs are, especially for anyone who wants to join the emergency services. They come in from far and wide to apply.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 23:11:58 by mariomike »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #239 on: February 13, 2020, 23:11:43 »
Ahh, I missed the original post reference. Sorry. We should make an option to rescind +/- millpoints.

But that said I thought posting millpoints comments in the discussion thread was considered bad form?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #240 on: February 13, 2020, 23:17:51 »
Ahh, I missed the original post reference. Sorry. We should make an option to rescind +/- millpoints.

That's ok. I have never deducted a single negative Mil-point from anyone. I like to award positive ones. So, + 300 to you!

I thought posting millpoints comments in the discussion thread was considered bad form?

My bad. But, if I have something to say, ( like, "thats a shitty article" ) I do it in the forum. Or, send a PM. That way, the member has a chance to defend themselves.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 23:33:46 by mariomike »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #241 on: February 13, 2020, 23:39:47 »
Quote from: mariomike

That's where the jobs are, especially for anyone who wants to join the emergency services. They come in from far and wide to apply.
It looks like the GTA has the highest unemployment rate by region in Ontario.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2020, 23:55:01 »
It looks like the GTA has the highest unemployment rate by region in Ontario.

I'm not surprised. There is a long line of qualified out of town applicants for the city emergency services. When I came on, there was a residency requirement. But, now they can - and do - come in to apply from all over Ontario.

The city is seen as the place to go when you’re looking for work. It attracts a lot of  young people from out of town, and recent immigrants to Canada.

The problem is, once they arrive, finding work - especially work they are interested in - isn’t always as easy as they expected.

This movie is a classic example of that,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goin%27_Down_the_Road
"Nova Scotia to Toronto with the hope of meeting up with their relatives in the city who might be able to help them find jobs".

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 09:46:02 by mariomike »

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #243 on: February 14, 2020, 10:24:50 »
Lot's of employment opportunities in Vancouver, sadly they don't pay enough to actually live in Vancouver.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #244 on: February 14, 2020, 11:03:01 »
Lot's of employment opportunities in Vancouver, sadly they don't pay enough to actually live in Vancouver.

Right. Even if you get the job you want, the cost of housing must be a challenge for young people trying to buy into the market,

Feb. 6, 2020

Toronto house prices are expected to soar by nearly 10 percent in 2020
https://www.thestar.com/business/2020/02/06/toronto-house-prices-expected-to-climb-nearly-10-per-cent-in-2020.html

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #245 on: February 14, 2020, 12:01:19 »
It's so bad I know of several businesses that have closed or moved out to the valley because they can't find employees.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #246 on: February 15, 2020, 01:24:42 »
Meanwhile...

Victoria has Lowest Unemployment Rate in Canada

https://www.iheartradio.ca/cfax-1070/news/victoria-has-lowest-unemployment-rate-in-canada-1.1999978

#governmenttownheartsndp-greengovernment :)
“To stand on the firing parapet and expose yourself to danger; to stand and fight a thousand miles from home when you're all alone and outnumbered and probably beaten; to spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary.”
— Jerry Pournelle —

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #247 on: February 15, 2020, 09:09:20 »
Meanwhile...

Victoria has Lowest Unemployment Rate in Canada

Also,

A greater population density than Toronto.
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/170208/t001a-eng.htm

Canada’s most dangerous cities
https://web.archive.org/web/20120630014856/http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/10/14/national-crime-rankings-2010/

WORST CITIES  PERCENTAGE ABOVE THE NATIONAL CRIME SCORE: ( Caps not mine - mm )

#2 Victoria, B.C. +81%

#57 Toronto, Ont. -9.03

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #248 on: February 15, 2020, 09:42:29 »
Greater Victoria records one of the lowest homicide rates in Canada
https://www.vicnews.com/news/greater-victoria-records-one-of-the-lowest-homicide-rates-in-canada/

Greater Victoria recorded two homicides in 2018, a drop of three from the previous year, according to Statistics Canada.
Measured by homicides, Winnipeg (population: 816,741) was Canada’s most violent CMA with 2.69 homicides per 100,000. In terms of absolute numbers, the Toronto CMA (population: 6.27 million) led the way with 142 homicides, up from 93 in 2017. Overall, Canada recorded 651 homicides or 1.76 homicides per 100,000 population, a drop compared to 2017.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #249 on: February 15, 2020, 10:34:39 »
In terms of absolute numbers, the Toronto CMA (population: 6.27 million) 

Guess I'm one of the 6,269,858 lucky survivors.  :)

Since I retired, all I really know about the CMA is our neighbourhood of 11,000.

If we didn't like it, or felt unsafe, we would move to another area of the CMA, or Ontario, or Canada, or the US, or the EU.