Author Topic: The "So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread  (Read 744393 times)

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: The "So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread
« Reply #1375 on: August 23, 2018, 20:15:28 »
There used to be a pilot training program for reservists but I believe this doesn’t exist anymore.  Reservist pilots are, for the vast majority, ex-ref force pilots that retired from the ref force and still wanted to serve.

Offline DBoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #1376 on: August 27, 2018, 15:19:21 »
Hello... I have done some reading and compilation of resources from this forum and external resources, trying to summarize where I am now / where I need to be in order to plan forward. I am also exploring ways where any part of the process may be expedited with the right amount of prerequisites.

Would appreciate greatly if the experienced members would correct where necessary, or assist with some queries that I may have to fill in the blanks :

No issue as long as able to complete first engagement prior to CRA of 60

DEO Career Process Flow
Recruitment (CFAT, Interview, Screening) -> CFASC & Medical -> Offer & Enrollment -> BMOQ -> SLT -> Phase 1 (PFT) -> Phase 2 (BFT) -> Phase 3 (AFT, Wings upon graduation) -> Phase 4 (Transitional
& FLIT) -> Operational Squadron Assignment - > Combat Readiness -> Element Lead -> Section Lead -> Mass Attack Lead

Is Phase 1 PFT waived and candidate moves to Phase 2 BFT with a PPL / CPL?

CFASC Study Resources Recommended
Online : Pilot Aptitude Tests, Speed-Time-Distance - Would there be a scratch paper and pen/pencil available for mathematical questions or only mental arithmetic?
Math Skills : Any specific other math skills required? Angles? Calculus?
Books : From the Ground Up

Health
Vision for Pilot - V2 - Approved correction techniques : WFG PRK, WFG Lasik or Epi-Lasik,  WFG LASIK with femtosecond keratome
Force Evaluation Fitness Test - Sandbag Lift, Intermittent Loaded Shuttles, Sandbag Drag, 20 meter rushes
BMOQ - Timed Run, Push-Ups, Chin-Ups, Sit-Ups, Hand Grip, Floating & Swimming

Second Language Training - May be expedited with prior language classes?
What is the minimum target / passing proficiency for reading, writing and oral - A-A-A or B-B-B or C-C-C or a A-A-B mixtures?
Is there an approximate equivalent of those grades in Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) / IELTS or TEF?

Finances (Regular Force and Class C Rates after March 2017)
DEO with no prior commissioned member service - Second Lieutenant, Pay level C @ $4083 monthly
Upon getting wings, promotion to Lieutenant
Captain (if achieved 3 years since commission, exceptions apply) @$6687 monthly

There are many other tangible considerations - financial shortfall during training & preliminary years of service, young kids, relocation of the family... but that is something I need to figure out myself vs the intangible satisfaction of giving back to my country.

Many thanks in advance for your kind replies.

Offline Carf

• Rate Post
« Reply #1377 on: August 27, 2018, 16:06:23 »
Just gonna throw in what little I can contribute here:

DEO Career Process Flow
Recruitment (CFAT, Interview, Screening) -> CFASC & Medical -> Offer & Enrollment -> BMOQ -> SLT -> Phase 1 (PFT) -> Phase 2 (BFT) -> Phase 3 (AFT, Wings upon graduation) -> Phase 4 (Transitional
& FLIT) -> Operational Squadron Assignment - > Combat Readiness -> Element Lead -> Section Lead -> Mass Attack Lead

Is Phase 1 PFT waived and candidate moves to Phase 2 BFT with a PPL / CPL?

It won't always go CFAT, Interview, Screening, ASC, Medical - for me, it went ASC, medical, interview and phase 2 medical.

Second Language Training - May be expedited with prior language classes?
What is the minimum target / passing proficiency for reading, writing and oral - A-A-A or B-B-B or C-C-C or a A-A-B mixtures?
Is there an approximate equivalent of those grades in Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) / IELTS or TEF?

I've heard from a current pilot that SLT is a low priority item nowadays and you'll only go through it if you've got nothing to do while waiting for courses.

Finances (Regular Force and Class C Rates after March 2017)
DEO with no prior commissioned member service - Second Lieutenant, Pay level C @ $4083 monthly
Upon getting wings, promotion to Lieutenant
Captain (if achieved 3 years since commission, exceptions apply) @$6687 monthly

DEO with prior service (commissioned or not) can lead to higher than base level C pay. Your past employment/education may also get you a non-basic increment pay offer. I received a non-pilot offer at pay incr 2 for 2LT, I assume due to my graduate degree.

Offline DBoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #1378 on: August 29, 2018, 08:37:39 »
Many thanks Carf for your reply!