Author Topic: The "So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread  (Read 751425 times)

Online SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: The "So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread
« Reply #1375 on: August 23, 2018, 20:15:28 »
There used to be a pilot training program for reservists but I believe this doesn’t exist anymore.  Reservist pilots are, for the vast majority, ex-ref force pilots that retired from the ref force and still wanted to serve.

Offline DBoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #1376 on: August 27, 2018, 15:19:21 »
Hello... I have done some reading and compilation of resources from this forum and external resources, trying to summarize where I am now / where I need to be in order to plan forward. I am also exploring ways where any part of the process may be expedited with the right amount of prerequisites.

Would appreciate greatly if the experienced members would correct where necessary, or assist with some queries that I may have to fill in the blanks :

No issue as long as able to complete first engagement prior to CRA of 60

DEO Career Process Flow
Recruitment (CFAT, Interview, Screening) -> CFASC & Medical -> Offer & Enrollment -> BMOQ -> SLT -> Phase 1 (PFT) -> Phase 2 (BFT) -> Phase 3 (AFT, Wings upon graduation) -> Phase 4 (Transitional
& FLIT) -> Operational Squadron Assignment - > Combat Readiness -> Element Lead -> Section Lead -> Mass Attack Lead

Is Phase 1 PFT waived and candidate moves to Phase 2 BFT with a PPL / CPL?

CFASC Study Resources Recommended
Online : Pilot Aptitude Tests, Speed-Time-Distance - Would there be a scratch paper and pen/pencil available for mathematical questions or only mental arithmetic?
Math Skills : Any specific other math skills required? Angles? Calculus?
Books : From the Ground Up

Health
Vision for Pilot - V2 - Approved correction techniques : WFG PRK, WFG Lasik or Epi-Lasik,  WFG LASIK with femtosecond keratome
Force Evaluation Fitness Test - Sandbag Lift, Intermittent Loaded Shuttles, Sandbag Drag, 20 meter rushes
BMOQ - Timed Run, Push-Ups, Chin-Ups, Sit-Ups, Hand Grip, Floating & Swimming

Second Language Training - May be expedited with prior language classes?
What is the minimum target / passing proficiency for reading, writing and oral - A-A-A or B-B-B or C-C-C or a A-A-B mixtures?
Is there an approximate equivalent of those grades in Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) / IELTS or TEF?

Finances (Regular Force and Class C Rates after March 2017)
DEO with no prior commissioned member service - Second Lieutenant, Pay level C @ $4083 monthly
Upon getting wings, promotion to Lieutenant
Captain (if achieved 3 years since commission, exceptions apply) @$6687 monthly

There are many other tangible considerations - financial shortfall during training & preliminary years of service, young kids, relocation of the family... but that is something I need to figure out myself vs the intangible satisfaction of giving back to my country.

Many thanks in advance for your kind replies.

Offline Carf

• Rate Post
« Reply #1377 on: August 27, 2018, 16:06:23 »
Just gonna throw in what little I can contribute here:

DEO Career Process Flow
Recruitment (CFAT, Interview, Screening) -> CFASC & Medical -> Offer & Enrollment -> BMOQ -> SLT -> Phase 1 (PFT) -> Phase 2 (BFT) -> Phase 3 (AFT, Wings upon graduation) -> Phase 4 (Transitional
& FLIT) -> Operational Squadron Assignment - > Combat Readiness -> Element Lead -> Section Lead -> Mass Attack Lead

Is Phase 1 PFT waived and candidate moves to Phase 2 BFT with a PPL / CPL?

It won't always go CFAT, Interview, Screening, ASC, Medical - for me, it went ASC, medical, interview and phase 2 medical.

Second Language Training - May be expedited with prior language classes?
What is the minimum target / passing proficiency for reading, writing and oral - A-A-A or B-B-B or C-C-C or a A-A-B mixtures?
Is there an approximate equivalent of those grades in Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) / IELTS or TEF?

I've heard from a current pilot that SLT is a low priority item nowadays and you'll only go through it if you've got nothing to do while waiting for courses.

Finances (Regular Force and Class C Rates after March 2017)
DEO with no prior commissioned member service - Second Lieutenant, Pay level C @ $4083 monthly
Upon getting wings, promotion to Lieutenant
Captain (if achieved 3 years since commission, exceptions apply) @$6687 monthly

DEO with prior service (commissioned or not) can lead to higher than base level C pay. Your past employment/education may also get you a non-basic increment pay offer. I received a non-pilot offer at pay incr 2 for 2LT, I assume due to my graduate degree.

Offline DBoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #1378 on: August 29, 2018, 08:37:39 »
Many thanks Carf for your reply!

Offline Scott1867

• Rate Post
Pilot Age Requirements
« Reply #1379 on: September 21, 2018, 13:17:46 »
I was wondering if anyone knew if there was an age requirement to become a pilot?  I am 31 and have my Private Pilot License and was wondering if there was a cut off.  I know some militaries have a window in which you can join and outside of that window you cannot. Anyone have an idea?

Offline kratz

Fall: Sweater Weather.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Pilot Age Requirements
« Reply #1380 on: September 21, 2018, 14:24:17 »
I was wondering if anyone knew if there was an age requirement to become a pilot?  I am 31 and have my Private Pilot License and was wondering if there was a cut off.  I know some militaries have a window in which you can join and outside of that window you cannot. Anyone have an idea?

No.

You are not too old at age 31. Most pilots will earn Obligatory Service terms of service of 7 years, not including subsided education programs. There is nothing stopping you from applying and trying.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Melbatoast

• Rate Post
Re: Pilot Age Requirements
« Reply #1381 on: October 07, 2018, 20:45:52 »

As an older guy who has successfully done it (older than 31), I would say that's a good age. Not detrimental, anyhow.

Age isn't much of a determiner, it's more life situation: bringing a spouse and two kids to Moose Jaw has much more of an impact on how you cope with training than your calendar age. As well, the older you get the higher the stakes seem. That results in higher perceived pressure - this is something I heard from any number of instructors. I had my moments, but Ph1 was easy, Ph2 also was in retrospect, but Ph3 was a gut check.

Here I am though, made it. You have as good a shot as anyone else.

Offline TrueNorthStronk

• Rate Post
Just some questions relating to the air force
« Reply #1382 on: October 08, 2018, 16:57:07 »
I'm currently 15 years old now, and I'm aspiring to join the air force when I grow up as a pilot. I'm starting to prepare for this pathway now - Getting fit is the main concern for me, and I'm doing good academically as of now but I fall short on one thing... Mathematics. I'm sure you guys have to talk about that subject a lot, so I'll add a bit more to this thread.

So, starting with mathematics. To be as honest as I possibly can, I'm an idiot in math (I'm probably being a little dramatic there, but that's what I think of my performence in that subject). I was wondering how this would affect my career as a pilot in the air force, is it really that important or will I learn a lot of that stuff in training? Do I need to take academic level math in Grade 12 (calculus and vectors), or will I be fine just sticking with college level math all the way up to grade 12?

For my courses in high school, I'll be taking math (probably college level, unless I need to take university level), physics, physical education and maybe even co-op for the reserves. Are there any particular recommendations you guys have for courses to take in high school though? Any particular college majors that aren't necessarily required, but are recommended for a career in the air force?

I appreciate any help in the slightest, and I'm sorry if I sound like a moron on this. I'm really only beginning trying to go down this pathway, and I want to make sure I know everything I can before I make a commitment. 

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
Re: Just some questions relating to the air force
« Reply #1383 on: October 08, 2018, 17:03:04 »
I'm sure others will chime in with more specific tips, but plan on take courses that will get you into university.  Aside from the Seneca program which is a minority, you will need to get into (and finish) university to become a Pilot with the RCAF.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Just some questions relating to the air force
« Reply #1384 on: October 08, 2018, 17:37:52 »
I fall short on one thing... Mathematics.

So, starting with mathematics. To be as honest as I possibly can, I'm an idiot in math (I'm probably being a little dramatic there, but that's what I think of my performence in that subject). I was wondering how this would affect my career as a pilot in the air force, is it really that important or will I learn a lot of that stuff in training? Do I need to take academic level math in Grade 12 (calculus and vectors), or will I be fine just sticking with college level math all the way up to grade 12?

For reference to the discussion,

Do I have to be good at math to be a pilot?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=107157.0
2 pages.

See also,
https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&ei=ec67W5CnDaPSjwTPva6IBg&q=site%3Aarmy.ca++%22want+to+be%22+pilot+math&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca++%22want+to+be%22+pilot+math&gs_l=psy-ab.3...15066.25938.0.27397.13.13.0.0.0.0.165.1023.12j1.13.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.A2mAPHzH9IY
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 18:32:33 by mariomike »

Offline CF_TOR

• Rate Post
« Reply #1385 on: November 12, 2018, 22:41:37 »
Gentlemen, learned quite a bit from this Forum, awesome source of information.

I am a 45 year old candidate, just applied for Pilot (DEO), and would like to clarify a few issues with you, hope you can help.

Have you ever heard of older candidates pursuing a Pilot career? Is it too late? Around 20 years ago I received my Commercial IFR Multi-Engine licenses but never pursued a civilian career, my licenses are expired but I will bring a strong basic knowledge to start.

Last Friday I stopped by the Toronto recruiting center in North York and the recruiter informed me that it might take up to 5 years for a candidate to receive his/her wings from the start of application, is that correct??

My understanding, from this Forum and CAF's website, is that the total training would add up to approximately 21 months. Basic Training (15 weeks) plus the complete pilot training (around 17 months). Is it taking over two years to go through the whole application process?

My main option is to pursue a multi-engine (fixed wing) path, so how seriously do they take our first option? If I could pick only one option would be that (that's where my passion is), not too excited with rotary wing and I guess I am too old for jets anyway.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #1386 on: November 12, 2018, 22:48:26 »
Have you ever heard of older candidates pursuing a Pilot career? Is it too late?

Some of the threads in this search discuss,  "Am I too old to become a pilot?"
https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&ei=pU3qW4SnFamL5wLQ7K2IDQ&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22too+old%22+pilot&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22too+old%22+pilot&gs_l=psy-ab.3...23590.30561..32058...0.0..0.92.555.7......0....1..gws-wiz.twj78YsWcVo

My main option is to pursue a multi-engine (fixed wing) path, so how seriously do they take our first option?

"Can you choose what kind of aircraft you'd like to be trained in/fly full time?"
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=12744.990;wap2

"so you can choose which airplane you want?"

Uncertain about going either multi or helo 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=69059.0

How is a Pilots aircraft chosen?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=120167.0

Do you have a choice between fighter/helo/multi ??? 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=73253.0
2 pages.

Uncertain about going either multi or helo 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,69059.0/nowap.html
2 pages.

How is a Pilots aircraft chosen?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=120167.0

etc...

There is also zero guarantee that you will get to fly the airframe of your choice (ie. Griffon, CF-18, Hercules).  It‘s all a matter of timing and your overall skill level.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 23:27:27 by mariomike »

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #1387 on: November 13, 2018, 01:20:57 »
I can’t believe the time that has passed since I wrote that post...
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline CF_TOR

• Rate Post
« Reply #1388 on: November 13, 2018, 10:32:59 »
Great, thank you.

To be honest the age issue is what concerns me the most... the dream to become a RCAF pilot is bigger than anything else.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #1389 on: November 13, 2018, 10:42:24 »
Great, thank you.

You are welcome. Good luck. :)

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 14:39:27 by mariomike »