• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transition to Municipal Police Force

nation wide problem. understaff patrol to staff up everything else.
There always a big rush to get out of uniform. Too much work. Too much unpredictably. Not enough people. Cycle continues.

Even us in uniform are in a hurry to promote- similar incentive. I love being in uniform doing uniform stuff- but even I have to admit that I needed some chevrons to curb the amount of it I do.

Being a straight up street level constable for years is the hardest job in the organization. Location is a factor too though.

There always a big rush to get out of uniform. Too much work. Too much unpredictably. Not enough people. Cycle continues.

Even us in uniform are in a hurry to promote- similar incentive. I love being in uniform doing uniform stuff- but even I have to admit that I needed some chevrons to curb the amount of it I do.

Being a straight up street level constable for years is the hardest job in the organization. Location is a factor too though.
Yep big differance between Surrey and North Van for the Street level cops. Here in North Van we have all the really successful criminals who don't poop where they sleep and Surrey has all the crappy criminals. Who generate a large amount of paperwork.

It’s been back and forth between a couple of administrations now. The province has the legal onus to ensure the proper administration of Justice and that a jurisdiction has effective policing services. In most cases, devolving that to municipalities works fine. In this case it’s turned into political ping pong, so the province appears to be willing to use its power to impose a final answer on the matter.

Municipalities get all of their legal status and power from enabling provincial legislation. BC appears to be reminding Surrey of this.

Frankly, my personal opinion only- I have no idea why a city of half a million (officially- to say nothing of further residents living in off the books suites) should be policed by the RCMP or a provincial police service. Part of maturing as a major municipality, IMO, involves taking charge of the provision of your own police services… If you can handle that responsibly.
Time for some outside the box thinking. Surrey should be policed by the Surete du Quebec.

A large part of the too much work is the catch and release system we have going on. I can only imagine how demoralizing it is to keep arresting the same people for the same crimes over and over again.

Recent record- three domestics, same victim, same accused (multipage CR), over two days- two attempts at remand was in custody total for about 8 hours all combined and generated 20 ish hours of work.

Imagine how on fire to do their work My people are when I tell them it’s a requirement in domestics to pursue charges for the victims safety.

The same day…
My record is twice in under two hours from release to rearrest for public intox. Granted there was no charge in play, I was just blown away he made his way back into town, scraped enough cash for a bottle, got enough of it into his system to be enough of a nuisance for us to get called and for me to make it to the call in that little time.

Well to be fair a Mayor was elected on the basis of keeping the RCMP, the Province did not like that, so they shoved their wishes down the city's throat and now are upset that the city is unwilling to go along with their edict.
And the mayor before that was elected to replace the RCMP.

IMHO, both of these mayors are incompetent blowhards and the electorate is fickle and can’t make up their minds. The Province should fire Surrey’s mayor and council and bring back Dianne Watts.

My record is twice in under two hours from release to rearrest for public intox. Granted there was no charge in play, I was just blown away he made his way back into town, scraped enough cash for a bottle, got enough of it into his system to be enough of a nuisance for us to get called and for me to make it to the call in that little time.
I’ve heard of a crook being released in Winnipeg and re arrested less than an hour later

I’ve heard of a crook being released in Winnipeg and re arrested less than an hour later
In Iqaluit the old detachment was next to the bar/hotel. I released prisoners around noon. And literally 15 mins later I had a call for a guy I released- he walked out, into the bar, grabbed a bottle off the wall- chugged it and assaulted someone with it.

I was so confused hearing his name on the radio.

And the mayor before that was elected to replace the RCMP.

IMHO, both of these mayors are incompetent blowhards and the electorate is fickle and can’t make up their minds. The Province should fire Surrey’s mayor and council and bring back Dianne Watts.
Obviously we don't rely on pure majoritarian democracy enough.

In Iqaluit the old detachment was next to the bar/hotel. I released prisoners around noon. And literally 15 mins later I had a call for a guy I released- he walked out, into the bar, grabbed a bottle off the wall- chugged it and assaulted someone with it.

I was so confused hearing his name on the radio.

And that would be the Frobisher Inn's bar I presume?

A truly wonderful example of an earthly incarnation of a Star Wars bar ;)

So many stories like that. Offenders, drunks, etc. aren't bogged down by paperwork. I had a patient admitted to an out-of-time facility on a mental health order beat me back to town because I had the temerity to do some other things while in town.

A few years ago we shot a guy less than 15min after I had booked him in the county jail. I legitimately had just backed the truck out of the jail intake garage, and we got a call about an idiot with a machete.

He wasn’t even a 5min walk away from the jail — no idea how he got the machete.

He was booked for a number of felonies including fed ones - so I have no idea how he got out so fast.

Back