• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sept 2023 UKR Vet Recognition Incident (merged from several threads)

Do you actually think Rota would try and run for re-election in 2025? I mean, the candidates running against him will have a field day with him - a vote for Rota is a vote for Uncle Adolph.....

Rota's political Career is all but done. No party will risk endorsing him, and independent's historically don't do well in Canada.

He is well over the 6 years needed to get a pension as a MP. So I'm guessing he will ride into the sunset.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if he vacates his seat either, I can't see he being too favorably received by his constituents, Calls for a public inquiry after this is all but certain, if he becomes a private citizen it's going to be much harder to compel him to testify. Thus killing the possibility of getting evidence of linking this to JT or any other liberals.

I'm not saying for sure JT had knowledge of this before it happened, but this is playing out like the classic 'fall on your own sword' to save your boss.

False.
The SS in its entirety was condemned as a criminal organization; not the Wehrmacht.
That's because former members of the Wehrmacht were very successful in the perpetrating the myth that they were squeaky clean and the SS were responsible for all the bad things that happened during the war.

If you want a different version of that, check out ' Soldiers: German POWs on Fighting, Killing, and Dying by Sonke Neitzel (Author), Harald Welzer (Author), Jefferson Chase (Translator). Translated from the book Soldaten.

The book is based on secret recordings that the Allies made of German POWs, many of them senior Generals, but also some lower ranks as well.

It's divided into sections covering different aspects of the war including one on killing, where the POWs openly discuss atrocities committed by ordinary German soldiers, including participating in the mass execution of Jews, killing of enemy POWs and civilians, and rape.

Its a very interesting read and destroys the myth that only the SS were responsible for war crimes and the Wehrmacht were innocent. Another key take away was that it was no secret among the military that mass killings of Jews were taking place in Eastern Europe, even the ordinary soldiers knew about them.

Maybe Rota will get an Ambassadorship for taking one for the team?

Rota's political Career is all but done. No party will risk endorsing him, and independent's historically don't do well in Canada.
He can - and probably will - support the Liberals as an independent.
I actually wouldn't be surprised if he vacates his seat either, I can't see he being too favorably received by his constituents, Calls for a public inquiry after this is all but certain, if he becomes a private citizen it's going to be much harder to compel him to testify. Thus killing the possibility of getting evidence of linking this to JT or any other liberals.
No government is bound by calls of any kind for a public inquiry. They can be as easily ignored as petitions.

But, in the interests of open and transparent governance, Trudeau could appoint a Special Rapporteur to examine the issue. There is at least one person with recent experience in the role.

Do you actually think Rota would try and run for re-election in 2025? I mean, the candidates running against him will have a field day with him - a vote for Rota is a vote for Uncle Adolph.....

Even before this fiasco, the expectation was that Rota would not be running in the next election. He very much followed the profile of a typical Canadian speaker; reasonable [y accomplished] performance as an MP, generally respected within the House by all sides, not publicly stupid (well, one exception, but that wasn't beforehand), able to appear impartial, and likeable. He would have capped his career in his early to mid sixties, maybe gone back home to comfortable retirement but also likely to have been given an appropriate sinecure in the bright lights of Ottawa or Toronto (if not in government, then lecturing at a university, or a policy forum). Now, he faces a couple of years of public embarrassment and then into obscurity of being an historical footnote.

The liberal spin will that bring this man to the house on the hill helped Poland kick their investigation into high gear. Poland announces request for extradition orders.

Applauses were premature congratuling themselves for this great plan they came up with.

In actuality some staffers should be fired and not allowed to resign. There should be an investigation into how this man passed a security check to be allowed to access to the Hill as an official visitor.

Someone needs to answer questions and be hung out to fry

... Poland cabinet minister announces request for part of public prosecutor's office to consider extradition orders ...
Picking pepper from fly s**t to some, but FTFY.
... Someone needs to answer questions and be hung out to fry
Indeed, but #DareToDream :(
... I can't see he being too favorably received by his constituents ...
How many anti-communist Ukrainians of immigrant descent in Nipissing—Timiskaming riding? I know zero about the demographics there, but I know very broadly, there's a LOT of eastern European immigrants & descendants in northern Ontario in general, with many of them coming post-WW2. Don't know if that voter bloc will come out to defend him, or just hide now, though.

Last edited:
if he becomes a private citizen it's going to be much harder to compel him to testify.
Being a compellable witness is one thing, but it probably won't generate the answers some want. No doubt he will still say that the decision was his/his office.

Even before this fiasco, the expectation was that Rota would not be running in the next election. He very much followed the profile of a typical Canadian speaker; reasonable [y accomplished] performance as an MP, generally respected within the House by all sides, not publicly stupid (well, one exception, but that wasn't beforehand), able to appear impartial, and likeable. He would have capped his career in his early to mid sixties, maybe gone back home to comfortable retirement but also likely to have been given an appropriate sinecure in the bright lights of Ottawa or Toronto (if not in government, then lecturing at a university, or a policy forum). Now, he faces a couple of years of public embarrassment and then into obscurity of being an historical footnote.
He also had heart surgery back in May.

There should be an investigation into how this man passed a security check to be allowed to access to the Hill as an official visitor.
I'm not aware that guests and visitors undergo background or security checks; just a level of security screening at the door.

I'm not aware that guests and visitors undergo background or security checks; just a level of security screening at the door.
That seems overly lax, even for Canada.
Given the Speakers office already said they had to submit lists to Protocol and Security Prior.

I’m still flabbergasted that anyone would not have an Ah Ha moment if a 90+ individual was reported to have fought the USSR in WW2, I mean who else was fighting them at that point?

Our next 60 second advertisement:
Canadian_Heritage_Moment.png

Given the Speakers office already said they had to submit lists to Protocol and Security Prior.

I’m still flabbergasted that anyone would not have an Ah Ha moment if a 90+ individual was reported to have fought the USSR in WW2, I mean who else was fighting them at that point?
The Finns?

Though there have been a few violent disturbances in our country's legislative building, there hasn't been a semi-organized assault by hundreds with the intent to disrupt the business of governing. Not yet, anyway. So the the screening of "strangers" to the public galleries in the House may be considerably less stringent than south of the border. In fact, want tickets ?

Visitor Guidenlines*

• Access to the public galleries is on a first-come, first-served basis. Please contact your Member of Parliament if you would like to attend Question Period in the House of Commons.
  • All visitors must pass through security screening. Alternate security arrangements can be made for pregnant persons, as well as visitors with pacemakers and other medical needs.
  • Only one (1) bag smaller than 35.5 cm x 30.5 cm x 19 cm (14” x 12” x 7.5”) is permitted per visitor.
  • Some items are not permitted in the public galleries, including cameras, recording devices, binoculars, umbrellas, overcoats, bags and parcels. For a full list of restricted items, please contact the Parliamentary Protective Service at pps.parl.ca or 613-995-4300.
  • Visitors amay not read, write or speak during debates. Participating in any form of demonstration is prohibited.
  • Visitors are asked not to leave or enter the galleries when a vote is in progress.
  • At a minimum, visitors are required to wear casual dress and footwear. Hats must be removed in the galleries, though traditional and religious headwear is permitted.
* Yes, the misspelling is from the webpage.

I expect that security was (or at least should have been) much tighter for President Zelenskyy, but I don't expect that a detailed personal history form going back 80 years was required. What info was probably required? Name of the guest (and who invited and vouched for him), address, phone, DOB, SIN (?), place of birth, etc. What checks, if any, were made? Round up the usual suspects? Criminal history, CSIS, on-line presence? What would have turned up for a 98 year old man who immigrated to Canada in the 1940s? He's probably kept his nose clean and been a model naturalized citizen. On-line presence? He's unlikely to have attended the local chapter of SS Veterans of Canada. He may even have been a member of the Legion or the Ukrainian War Veterans Association of Canada

That’s what blows my mind. Even if Mr. Hunka wasn’t guilty personally of any atrocities, that should have been a HUGE red flag. 🤦‍♂️

. . . On-line presence? He's unlikely to have attended the local chapter of SS Veterans of Canada. . . .

Maybe I spoke too soon and taking a sarcastic tone about SS veterans associations.

It's in Ukrainian, but with machine translation:

НТЕРНЕТ-ВЕРСІЯ КВАРТАЛЬНИКА ОБ"ЄДНАННЯ БУВ. ВОЯКІВ УКРАЇНЦІВ В АМЕРИЦІ, БРАТСТВА КОЛ.ВОЯКІВ 1-ОЇ УД УНА

INTERNET VERSION OF THE QUARTERLY OF THE ASSOCIATION OF THE FORMER SOLDIERS OF UKRAINIANS IN AMERICA, BROTHERHOOD OF THE SOLDIERS OF THE 1ST UD UNA

And a blog post from 2011

Back