• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's tanks

I will be great to see what works and doesn't. I suspect these two systems will dictate the gun side of AD for the next 20 years.
MSHORAD has a gun as well.

I think there will end up being three or 4 distinct classes to ADA gun systems for Armies

MBT based
APC/IFV based
Light vehicle (JLTV, Hummer etc type)
Static Box (PALS type transportable)

MSHORAD has a gun as well.

I think there will end up being three or 4 distinct classes to ADA gun systems for Armies

MBT based
APC/IFV based
Light vehicle (JLTV, Hummer etc type)
Static Box (PALS type transportable)

The neat thing, I think, is that there is a possibility of a single system being applicable to all platforms as well as naval platforms.

Main gun for small vessels and patrol vessels.
Defensive armament for larger vessels.

The neat thing, I think, is that there is a possibility of a single system being applicable to all platforms as well as naval platforms.

Main gun for small vessels and patrol vessels.
Defensive armament for larger vessels.
It’s a vastly different turret, and I think a different round. Naval vessels have a much larger magazine storage ability, and larger size so the longer more powerful rounds isn’t an issue

It’s a vastly different turret, and I think a different round. Naval vessels have a much larger magazine storage ability, and larger size so the longer more powerful rounds isn’t an issue

I think the Millenium is the same turret regardless of platform. If it isn't then buy the naval version for all applications. Even if it does cost more initially.

But

Naval vessels are armed with everything from 7.62 to 127.

Some clip on. Some bolt on. Some drop on. Some are built in.

One of the turrets with the short 30 round would do at least as well as the 25 and much better than the 50.

It could also manage a wider array of targets.

Not to mention the onboard SAM and the HEL.

And management of the ammunition and magazine replenishment in a ship has to be easier than in a muddy field.

I think the Millenium is the same turret regardless of platform. If it isn't then buy the naval version for all applications. Even if it does cost more initially.

But

Naval vessels are armed with everything from 7.62 to 127.

Some clip on. Some bolt on. Some drop on. Some are built in.

One of the turrets with the short 30 round would do at least as well as the 25 and much better than the 50.

It could also manage a wider array of targets.

Not to mention the onboard SAM and the HEL.

And management of the ammunition and magazine replenishment in a ship has to be easier than in a muddy field.
The Naval turret isn't the same.
It uses the ships sensors and is wired in - and has a different turret basket/mount.
The Ground System uses internal fire control, and I think can take external (wireless) feed as well.

The Naval turret isn't the same.
It uses the ships sensors and is wired in - and has a different turret basket/mount.
The Ground System uses internal fire control, and I think can take external (wireless) feed as well.

Rheinmetall's own words....

No deck penetrations.
Separate plinth (ie pallet)
Ethernet connection

Optional onboard sensors.

1683555988893.png
In an anti-surface role, the Millennium Gun is a fast and powerful effector. The gun system is designed to engage multiple high-speed asymmetric surface targets (swarming attacks). It exceeds United States Navy keep-out-range requirements for countering a multi-axis threat from multiple fast-intruder attack craft.
In an anti-air role, the Millennium Gun can engage a large spectrum of air threats, ranging from low-radar cross section anti-ship missiles to fast-attack aircraft and helicopters.

Additionally, the Millennium Gun can easily defeat challenging low, slow and small air threats posed by unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV).
The Millennium Gun, with its programmable Oerlikon Ahead ammunition, has also been deployed to provide counter rocket, artillery and mortar (C-RAM) defence for land-based applications.
  • Defence against anti-ship missile, aircraft, helicopter, UAV and asymmetric threats of fast incoming small crafts
  • 252 rounds ready to fire ammunition
  • Nominal rate of fire (burst) 1’000 rds/min, rapid single shot (200 rds/min) and single-shot
  • No deck penetration, standard Ethernet interfaces
  • ISO-mount option for minimal installation efforts and simplicity for removal and reinstallation
  • Plinth direct installation to ship’s deck minimising on-deck weight
  • Option: integrated tracking sensor unit
  • TRL 9

Same turret
Same gun
Optional sensors added
Free standing on pallet/plinth
Ready to fire
Ready to net

rheinmetall-skynex-7.jpg

Same system on a truck
Ready to fire
Ready to net
Turret on pallet/plinth with same gun and same optional sensors as above

rheinmetall-skynex-5.jpg

Same system on a Boxer - vehicle that sells itself on its modular design.
It is an armoured pickup truck

Same Turret
Same Gun
Same optional sensors as above
Ready to fire
Ready to net

Rheinmetall-Mobile-Flugabwehr-Skyranger-Mobile-Flugabwehr.jpg

The Oerlikon Skyranger® family offers mobile defence against all current and future battlefield air threats. The Skyranger combines superior firepower, active and passive sensors and the dynamics needed to engage the most demanding targets performing loiter, pop-up or dive attacks. The use of best-in-class cannon systems means that the Skyranger can stand its ground against swarming attacks and its mobility means that it can be deployed alongside ground forces or for stationary vital-asset protection. The Skyranger can independently generate its own local air picture whilst its command and control architecture (Skymaster), IFF and data link mean that it can be seamlessly integrated into the battle order and command structure.

Depending on the tactical needs and the required target spectrum, the Skyranger can be equipped with a 35 mm x 228 KDG revolver cannon or a 30 mm x 173 KCE revolver cannon. Both cannons are characterised by a high rate of fire, excellent precision and airburst ammunition. The 35mm calibre offers C-RAM capability and an effective range of up to 4,000m. The 30 mm calibre has an effective range of up to 3,000m and the gun turret is designed to also mount short-range air defence missiles.

The highly modular design approach chosen allows customized active or passive sensor configurations. These include AESA radars, passive panoview systems and optronic packages. Advanced algorithms are used to fuse the sensor data together, classify the targets and support the operators in their decision making. As the threats evolve, so does the Skyranger. Integration of a high-energy laser or vertically launched C-PGM missiles is being explored.

Same system

Ground mount

Netted to offboard sensor and command stations

image-container

And finally, same turret,
With the optional 30mm x 173mm gun instead of the 35mm gun - both AHEAD ammunition capable
With the optional onboard sensors
With optional SAM package
With optional Laser package

Under development.

As I see it the CAF could buy the same turret, with the same gun, with onboard SAM and HEL systems as well as onboard sensors and net it into more powerful sensors and remote Command and Control stations. Or the C2 station could be mounted in the vehicle transporting the turret so that it is ready to fire on the move.

AIR BURST AMMUNITION
Rheinmetall’s airburst ammunition (ABM) is the ideal solution for contemporary vehicle main armament, ground-based anti-aircraft guns and naval applications. Based on NATO-qualified Ahead technology, each ABM round contains a large amount of sub-projectiles and a programmable fuse, which is supplied with data from the fire control computer via an electric fuse programming coil as it departs the barrel. After measuring the current velocity of the round, the electronics calculate the optimum detonation time, inductively programming each round as it passes through the muzzle. Since the ejection interval can be altered, the insensitive Rheinmetall airburst ammunition can be used to engage a wide spectrum of modern battlefield threats.
The ABM round is available in calibre 30 mm x 173 and 35 mm x 228.

Cheaper by the dozen....

Cheers. :D

Let's just say they have a lot of conflicting info in their marketing materials...
My guess is they want a country to bite on the marine version and use them to pay for the redevelopment of the turret to marine standards. Thing is that has to compete directly with the Bofor 57mm which is a very popular and excellent weapon system, that is already optimized for marine environments.

My guess is they want a country to bite on the marine version and use them to pay for the redevelopment of the turret to marine standards. Thing is that has to compete directly with the Bofor 57mm which is a very popular and excellent weapon system, that is already optimized for marine environments.
I bet if Irving jumped on board we would be a customer so fast even jt would be flabbergasted

And the classic 40mm Bofors as well. Different design principles for different defence options. 57mm and 40mm are self defence AAW guns (but can also do surface fire). Millenium gun is a CIWS.

Back