• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Security Team

Great idea....

Ever since they shut down the 'In Armoury' .22 cal ranges, for health and safety reasons, we've struggled to catch up to our Cold War proficiency in shooting skills, IMHO.

I put far more rounds downrange as an Army Cadet than I ever did as a Reservist ;)
I still, after three decades (plus) of Reg/reserve time, have not caught up to how many thousands of rounds I fired in 5 years as an Air Cadet…

I don’t know who’s small arms expertise is worse, the regs or the reserves. Here is Regina we have Depot with a state-of-the-art rifle range. They have oodles of ammo and a few years ago were open to have us come down to use their facilities and ammo. We we told no by our betters because it would be too difficult to account for the ammo……so now we have to go to on the road for 2.5 hours to Dundurn once a year.
I’m going to get the kids at Queen to try again to get permission to use Depot.
When I was at Depot 5 years ago there were three indoor ranges, two of which were operating nearly 24/7 running cadets through the Firearms portion of the Cadet Training Program, and the rest of the time running Regular Members through the C8 course. The third was being renovated. Not sure how much time they have to load out anymore these days.

Great idea....

Ever since they shut down the 'In Armoury' .22 cal ranges, for health and safety reasons, we've struggled to catch up to our Cold War proficiency in shooting skills, IMHO.

I put far more rounds downrange as an Army Cadet than I ever did as a Reservist ;)

The most time that I spent on an in-door range with the 9mm pistol was during my time at NDHQ in the 1980s. Yes, NDHQ. It called itself the NDHQ Shooting Club (or something similar). I became aware of it from a notice in Routine Orders. Club "membership" was restricted to serving members. The range was in the armoury across the river in Hull. We used service pistols and occasionally government supplied ammo; there were restrictions as to manufacturer/type of rounds that were bought by ourselves (there were times when the ammo was bulk acquired by the "club" executive). The shooting was done outside normal duty hours but was pretty much run IAW standard range practices.

When I was at Depot 5 years ago there were three indoor ranges, two of which were operating nearly 24/7 running cadets through the Firearms portion of the Cadet Training Program, and the rest of the time running Regular Members through the C8 course. The third was being renovated. Not sure how much time they have to load out anymore these days.
Considering they are starting troops of 7 people and cancelling other weeks…

But the present restrictions on outsiders on base would probably be an issue

Last edited:
The most time that I spent on an in-door range with the 9mm pistol was during my time at NDHQ in the 1980s. Yes, NDHQ. It called itself the NDHQ Shooting Club (or something similar). I became aware of it from a notice in Routine Orders. Club "membership" was restricted to serving members. The range was in the armoury across the river in Hull. We used service pistols and occasionally government supplied ammo; there were restrictions as to manufacturer/type of rounds that were bought by ourselves (there were times when the ammo was bulk acquired by the "club" executive). The shooting was done outside normal duty hours but was pretty much run IAW standard range practices.

Also, if there's one activity in the CAF where DEI principles can be seen in action it's marksmanship.

There's nothing like watching a tiny little BIPOC lady effortlessly outshoot all us 'Pale, Male and Stale' people ;)

Considering they are starting troops of 7 people and cancelling other weeks…

But the present restrictions on outsiders on base would probably be an issue
Unreal. And we're about to face a municipal election in Surrey where most of the candidates have stated they want a referendum or they will outright disband SPS in favour of RCMP. Where the hell are we going to get the members to go back...

When I was competing in IPSC, every weekend I burned off 200 rounds of pistol ammo and about 300 of .22cal. If I did a "Skill and Drills" night with my instructor, that was another 300rds. I still burn off about 150rds of pistol and 30 or so of rifle, plus 200 of .22cal when I go out shooting.

Hopefully the army buys .22cal sub calibre kits for any pistols they buy.

Unreal. And we're about to face a municipal election in Surrey where most of the candidates have stated they want a referendum or they will outright disband SPS in favour of RCMP. Where the hell are we going to get the members to go back...

Oh come on now... who wouldn't want to work somewhere where they'd get a chance to arrest the Mayor? ;)

Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum charged with public mischief over claims his foot was run over​

Back