• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

I guess Poilievre's association with the Convoy wasn't as self-destructing as we thought.

I don’t know the answer, but that might be best judged after the next federal election.
There's still plenty "they're all nazi's" blood to squeeze out of the convoy stone however I think the LPC will wisely put some time and distance on it until closer to the next election.

Because he handily won CPC leadership? I'd say that's more a signal that CPC (or its card-carrying members) are shifting farther right as a party.
Maybe. Or he's just more likeable and relatable. I think gay immigrants should be able to get married, have abortions, and pray to Chuchulu. I don't consider myself far right and I would have voted for him.

I'm not exactly politically savvy but it almost seems like Pierre=farther right is one of those scare tactics.

How Pierre Poilievre is winning new support among young, diverse voters

It reminds me of how all the convoy supporters were just white males.

Maybe. Or he's just more likeable and relatable. I think gay immigrants should be able to get married, have abortions, and pray to Chuchulu. I don't consider myself far right and I would have voted for him.

I'm not exactly politically savvy but it almost seems like Pierre=farther right is one of those scare tactics.
Is it though?

If he publicly supported them before the convoy published their "manifesto" then maybe he could have spun it as "I had no idea these folks would go this way". But, he didn't.

That, to me, and especially that he hasn't come out and said anything to try and temper the outrage, is pretty telling.

How Pierre Poilievre is winning new support among young, diverse voters

It reminds me of how all the convoy supporters were just white males.
I live within a short walk of the convoy area back in Jan/Feb. I worked from home and out of necessity (small space) I saw the folks roaming around from my "office". You're right that it wasn't just white males, but I distinctly noticed a lack of people of colour in the 3 weeks that they were there.

My friends, living in other parts of downtown Ottawa, said the same.

I live within a short walk of the convoy area back in Jan/Feb. I worked from home and out of necessity (small space) I saw the folks roaming around from my "office". You're right that it wasn't just white males, but I distinctly noticed a lack of people of colour in the 3 weeks that they were there.

I believe you.

It's possible people of colour weren't supportive of it in general.

Possible it was intimidating for people of colour to join because of comments or behavior from those racist and bigot types, many who identify as right-wing.

It's also possible people of colour were afraid of being targeted and harassed by other left-learning people of colour who think POCs should be LPC/NDP and those who aren't are traitors. There were a number of stories from down south of republican POCs being harassed and targeted by their own people. I don't suspect we're impervious to that behavior up here.

O’toole was all roses until he had to pull the trigger on his policy stances for real for real. Once the new guy has to answer to his new radicals about their demands for the country he ll find it less easy to assuage everyone.

O’toole was all roses until he had to pull the trigger on his policy stances for real for real. Once the new guy has to answer to his new radicals about their demands for the country he ll find it less easy to assuage everyone.
Yup.

CBC Frontburner had an episode where they interviewed CPC members at the recent leadership convention. More than one said words to the effect that they hope his messaging doesn't change when he forms govt.

How the hell are you going to do that when you're the PM? A big part of his messaging is that he's angry, like the rest of the country, at the govt. What happens when he becomes the govt? People are going to still be angry, but at him.

I doubt conservatives or the CPC are moving right, certainly not by much. On just two hot-button issues - SSM and abortion - I suppose there are more conservatives/CPC no longer opposed than there were 5, 10, or 20 years ago. People who think one frame is moving right ought examine their own sociopolitical evolution over the past 5, 10, or 20 years to make an honest assessment of whether they are in a frame moving left.

Is it though?

If he publicly supported them before the convoy published their "manifesto" then maybe he could have spun it as "I had no idea these folks would go this way". But, he didn't.

That, to me, and especially that he hasn't come out and said anything to try and temper the outrage, is pretty telling.

Can confirm. The convoy protests was super white. Not exclusively, but overwhelmingly. I thought I’d somehow stumbled into a fight at the Kingston yacht club.

Definitely not just male. Majority male, but plenty of women too. Purely from eyeballing it I’d say proportionately more men than women were arrested, but I’d also say that men were disproportionately the ones acting sufficiently aggressively as to stand out from the people around them and get arrested. But that’s also totally normal for pretty much any ‘big angry crowd’ protest with significant arrests.

A protest with active police action is an environment ripe for testosterone poisoning.

The nut bars are gathering.
I saw this at the courthouse. Is this the application to lay treason charges on the RCMP and PM?93AFC5DD-BA77-422B-B8B2-4A8B62DEFD7B.jpegB8DD42CB-0A96-487B-AF83-AE9163405693.jpeg
Grey sweatpants. 🤮

Back