• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you be interested in expanding on that a bit more? What kind of social issues lead you down that path?
It seems to me the liberal party in power rigjt now is the most unethical one in our history. What social things ahvr you so entrenched with the LPC?
Abortion rights for women, fair representation for women, gender equality, legalized pot , income disparity, rights for LGBTQ individuals, climate change.

So while trudeau isn't perfect, or even good a lot of the time voting for another party would be like throwing out the baby with the baby with the bathwater.

Thanks.
Abortion rights for women
I'm not sure what other rights they need.
Abortion wasn't touched when the Conservatives were in power for nearly 10 years as far as I understand.
You can get an abortion when your 8 months along in Canada, we're one of the most, if not thee most, "progressive" when it comes to abortion. What additional abortion rights are women fighting for?

fair representation for women
Not sure what you mean here. Like gender parity? At this point with the LPC it seems more for show than a true belief.
gender equality
That's important. I think identity politics landed us Payette. Think the LPC has ran into a few snags with their pro-women image.
legalized pot
I was against this personally but I think I was wrong. Seems fine.
income disparity,
Between who?
rights for LGBTQ individuals
Are LGBTQ individuals missing rights that straight Canadians enjoy?
Isn't it a criminal offense in Canada to not use someone's prefered pronoun? I'm not sure what rights they're missing.
climate change.
Another really important issue. Liberals really capatialized on this one with young Canadians. They(young Canadians) can't articulate much besides conservatives are old fogies and the future is theirs and they need to protect the climate.

So while trudeau isn't perfect, or even good a lot of the time voting for another party would be like throwing out the baby with the baby with the bathwater.
Seems to me the Liberals can be counted on to act in their best interest. They're good at making Canadians think their own best interests and the LPC coincide.

LPC has continued to let their true colours slip. Lots of Canadians either don't see it or don't care. If it effects someone else but not me I'm fine with it. Not socially progressive IMO.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what other rights they need.
Abortion wasn't touched when the Conservatives were in power for nearly 10 years as far as I understand.
You can get an abortion when your 8 months along in Canada, we're one of the most, if not thee most, "progressive" when it comes to abortion. What additional abortion rights are women fighting for?
Yet there is a faction within the CPC that continues to advocate for limits on abortion which leaves me uneasy.
Not sure what you mean here. Like gender parity? At this point with the LPC it seems more for show than a true belief.
As I said before, even flawed gender parity is better than no gender parity. The CPC has left no doubt they wouldn't seek to improve on the LPC in this regard, they would simply do away with it.
That's important. I think identity politics landed us Payette. Think the LPC has ran into a few snags with their pro-women image.
I'm sure there are thousands of other women or men who could do a better job than Payette. Simply a matter of getting the right one.
I was against this personally but I think I was wrong. Seems fine.
Yet it was the LPC who put it in place, the CPC ran against it in the past.
Between who?
the average middle and low class worker who is trying to keep up with the ever increasing price of everything and especially housing.

it was the LPC who put in place things like the CCB which is helpful to those who make under 90k and have children
Are LGBTQ individuals missing rights that straight Canadians enjoy?
Isn't it a criminal offense in Canada to not use someone's prefered pronoun? I'm not sure what rights they're missing.
Considering they are more likely to be assaulted, killed, commit suicide and harm themselves than the general population, I would say more needs to be done. And considering a part of the CPC base advocates for conversion therapy and the previous leader wouldn't walk in a gay pride parade it leave me feeling like they are not the party who would recognize that.
Another really important issue. Liberals really capatialized on this one with young Canadians. They(young Canadians) can't articulate much besides conservatives are old fogies and the future is theirs and they need to protect the climate.
and the CPC has yet to come up with a plan for the environment beyond carbon tax bad, we will come up with something better. At a later date. Trust us.

Which is hard to do when they vote against climate change is real at a policy convention.
Seems to me the Liberals can be counted on to act in their best interest. They're good at making Canadians think their own best interests and the LPC coincide.
All politicians do. It's baked in. But the question I am left with is what are they doing (I've named things above) and what are the other guys offering (currently underwhelming)
LPC has continued to let their true colours slip. Lots of Canadians either don't see it or don't care. If it effects someone else but not me I'm fine with it. Not socially progressive IMO.
Liberal bad. Okay.

Let me look at the alternatives?

Hmmmmm..

Nope.

If the Liberals weren’t an unserious, corrupt, Sinophilic, corporatist Trudeau cult of personality that held Westerners in contempt, I might consider voting for them.

Yet there is a faction within the CPC that continues to advocate for limits on abortion which leaves me uneasy.
Despite not touching abortion with a 10 foot pole for 10 years if they get elected that small faction will ban abortions or tinker with it? Seems like a nonsensical concern.

As I said before, even flawed gender parity is better than no gender parity. The CPC has left no doubt they wouldn't seek to improve on the LPC in this regard, they would simply do away with it.
Didn't the CPC have near gender parity in their cabinet? Ensuring it's 50/50 for the sake of it seems more akin to virtue signaling then good governing. And what about trans members? Do you think trans men and trans women should be equally represented as well?
I'm sure there are thousands of other women or men who could do a better job than Payette. Simply a matter of getting the right one.
Yup. But the reasons why the LPC took her on board, and the manner they did it, should be alarming. Once again, a lot of people over look that stuff because image is more important than ethics.
Yet it was the LPC who put it in place, the CPC ran against it in the past.
Right.
the average middle and low class worker who is trying to keep up with the ever increasing price of everything and especially housing.
What's the cut off line between low and middle class?
it was the LPC who put in place things like the CCB which is helpful to those who make under 90k and have children
Agreed.
Considering they are more likely to be assaulted, killed, commit suicide and harm themselves than the general population, I would say more needs to be done. And considering a part of the CPC base advocates for conversion therapy and the previous leader wouldn't walk in a gay pride parade it leave me feeling like they are not the party who would recognize that.
Then nothing to do with rights then since LGBTQ have the same rights as heterosexual Canadians.

Sexual orientation is not usually included in a cause of death report or on a death certificate so there is little hard data connecting sexual orientation and suicide s o I don't know if they're more likely to commit suicide. Are the majority of Canadians assaulted in Canada LGBTQ?

Conversion therapy seems messed up to me.
I find the practice of demanding politicians walk in pride parades obnoxious. Pressuring politicians to do it contributes to how shallow our politics have become.
and the CPC has yet to come up with a plan for the environment beyond carbon tax bad,
I get the feeling the LPC plan is to tell people what they want to hear while lining up their friends for juicy contracts. I also get the feeling they would oppose any snooping into those deals just like we seen with SNC and WE.
we will come up with something better. At a later date. Trust us.
Sounds like the LPC plan for budget.
Which is hard to do when they vote against climate change is real at a policy convention.
You also know that the statement goes deeper than simply acknowledging our climate is changing.
All politicians do. It's baked in. But the question I am left with is what are they doing (I've named things above) and what are the other guys offering (currently
underwhelming)
I see one underwhelming and one full of BS.

Despite not touching abortion with a 10 foot pole for 10 years if they get elected that small faction will ban abortions or tinker with it? Seems like a nonsensical concern.

Didn't the CPC have near gender parity in their cabinet? Ensuring it's 50/50 for the sake of it seems more akin to virtue signaling then good governing. And what about trans members? Do you think trans men and trans women should be equally represented as well?

Yup. But the reasons why the LPC took her on board, and the manner they did it, should be alarming. Once again, a lot of people over look that stuff because image is more important than ethics.

Right.

Agreed.

Then nothing to do with rights then since LGBTQ have the same rights as heterosexual Canadians.

Sexual orientation is not usually included in a cause of death report or on a death certificate so there is little hard data connecting sexual orientation and suicide s o I don't know if they're more likely to commit suicide. Are the majority of Canadians assaulted in Canada LGBTQ?

I find the practice of demanding politicians walk in pride parades obnoxious. Pressuring politicians to do it contributes to how shallow our politics have become.

I get the feeling the LPC plan is to tell people what they want to hear while lining up their friends for juicy contracts. I also get the feeling they would oppose any snooping into those deals just like we seen with SNC and WE.

You also know that the statement goes deeper than simply acknowledging our climate is changing.

I believe most the things the Tories are accused of being are overblown by many in the media because they want to see boogeymen in the night and it makes the Liberals look better in comparison. However, the Tories can be their own worst enemies in some of the things they do and say. It seems that in recent years it’s like they are trying to give the Liberals ammunition and prove all the negative stereotypes about who conservatives are.

Do I think they will? No. Do I feel very comfortable in the same tent as those who do? No.
Seeing as trans women just see themselves as women that's not really an issue.
I never notice the GG unless they mess up. Sucks that JP was a bag of hammers but beyond that I don't really care.
Yup.
Interesting question, varies for everyone. But I do know that CEOs used to make 60 times more than their employees in 1989 and now that ratio is 300 times. I would start there and work my way down.

The majority of Canadians assaulted in Canada are not LGBTQ but a large percentage of LGBTQ are assaulted.

"Compared with heterosexual Canadians, bisexual individuals were almost nine times more likely to be sexually assaulted (151E versus 17 incidents per 1,000 population) in the previous 12 months."
As a show of support for a often victimized community, it's really the least one can do.
I think the carbon tax is pretty self simole to understand, and I think the federal backstop that refunds the tax is better than plans like BC and QC that just pocket it.
sounds like every government these days have you seen the Ontario, Alberta and Quebec budgets?
Maybe. Again, doesn't fill one with good feelings if someone has the climate as a concern.
Well, I'll back the BS legal weed and cash my BS CCB payments, and take my BS carbon tax rebate I guess

Catherine McKenna’s Minister of Infrastructure fails another Audit, billions unaccounted for​

I'm not surprised, not even a little bit. Almost $94,000,000,000 unaccounted for. Breaches in the Treasury Board Contracting Policy. Substantial mispractices on the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities. The department lacked mandatory checklists, proper due diligence and presented serious “control failures”. Of 32 projects, picked at random by auditors, they found that 22 of them had incomplete checklists, signalling a failure rate of nearly 70%. Perhaps it's time that Commissioner Lucki does some soul searching and gets some investigations going in earnest for a change.

Perhaps someone better versed in in the goings on of parliament can tell me if a vote of no confidence can be brought against the trudeau government for something like malfeasance.

Except they'd love that right now........with all the "free" money they thrown out to people, who don't give a flying frig they've just ruined our kids future, they'd get voted back in for sure. The days of a Govt actually governing are gone forever I fear. Nothing matters but the next election....nothing at all.

Catherine McKenna’s Minister of Infrastructure fails another Audit, billions unaccounted for​

I'm not surprised, not even a little bit. Almost $94,000,000,000 unaccounted for. Breaches in the Treasury Board Contracting Policy. Substantial mispractices on the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities. The department lacked mandatory checklists, proper due diligence and presented serious “control failures”. Of 32 projects, picked at random by auditors, they found that 22 of them had incomplete checklists, signalling a failure rate of nearly 70%. Perhaps it's time that Commissioner Lucki does some soul searching and gets some investigations going in earnest for a change.

Perhaps someone better versed in in the goings on of parliament can tell me if a vote of no confidence can be brought against the trudeau government for something like malfeasance.

Yea sure , a few bucks are unaccounted for. What about CLIMATE CHANGE AND ABORTIONS?

In the 1960's science was predicting a new ice age. Abortion was considered murder. Altair, what makes you right and the people that thought that way wrong?

In the 1960's science was predicting a new ice age. Abortion was considered murder. Altair, what makes you right and the people that thought that way wrong?
And interracial marriage was illegal in places, Jim crow laws were in place, gay individuals could not marry, turns out with increased knowledge and society moving forward things that were okay back then are not today.

Yea sure , a few bucks are unaccounted for. What about CLIMATE CHANGE AND ABORTIONS?

"The report found that 'funds were not being spent as quickly as planned' and 'objectives might not be met' after the full 12-year life of the program"

National post>westphaliantimes

Never heard of Westphalian Times before. I thought Westphalia was in Germany? Sounds dodgy to me.
Reading through a few of the articles explains where fishbone Jones gets his views from.

Very very disingenuous reporting.

Like not spending all the money somehow equals LOSING all the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back