• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Meanwhile back at the perpetually offended tent/Infidel tattoo questions

This commentary on tattoos is humorous. The tattoo in question was most certainly not hateful conduct. What it was is a violation of CAF policy on tattoos which is why the CAF asked the member to have it covered.

What I'm most worried about is your fellow Officer's inability to interpret and apply policy. I shudder to think of them dealing with actual complex personnel issues.

As for tattoos in general, they can and do look great on people. My wife has 23 tattoos, including a full sleeve and an entire leg piece done. She was a punk rocker girl before and her best friend is professional tattoo artist. Gals with tattoos are fun 😁. I especially like bringing my wife to mess functions to watch certain individuals have a conniption.

As for work, it isn't an issue and she works for a Big 5 Bank (about the most conservative place you could work). She covers her arms up and dresses professionally when dealing with customers to maintain the image of the Bank but that's it.

I always find these discussion funny, especially at work. It allows me to discover who the squares who live under a rock are.

(in my younger days I would even have pause to pursue physical relationships with tattooed women - though sometimes it was a short pause).
Could be a generational thing? It never came up in my younger days.

In my married life, not sure if it is for cultural ( my wife is Jewish ) or personal reasons, or both, but never heard her express an interest in getting a tattoo. I certainly never suggested it.

I love Japan, and recall seeing big signs saying 'No visible tattoos' at the reception desk and by the pool and onsen.

I always find these discussion funny, especially at work. It allows me to discover who the squares who live under a rock are.
I highly doubt I've ever been accused of being under a rock, yet about the only thing that could turn me off quicker then tattoos would be smoking. Its a preference, not a sentence....

I highly doubt I've ever been accused of being under a rock, yet about the only thing that could turn me off quicker then tattoos would be smoking. Its a preference, not a sentence....
I read your post ,and then went for a smoke to contemplate how to reply. I have been a smoker for almost 45 years. I have stopped (not quit) three times in my life, the latest for almost 8 years, Circumstances have lead me to start smoking again. I am not proud of it.

My wife is 18 years younger than I am. We have four kids: 14,12, nine and three. All of them (and rightfully so) hate the fact that I smoke.

I am addicted to nicotine. I have tried every method under the sun to walk away from it. It is most certainly not a preference.

Last edited:
I am addicted to nicotine. I have tried every method under the sun to walk away from it. It is most certainly not a preference.
I started when I was still in short pants. Quit in April 1986, and still miss it. My wife doesn't smoke either. But, I'm used to people smoking. It doesn't bother me.

I started when I was still in short pants. Quit in April 1986, and still miss it. My wife doesn't smoke either. But, I'm used to people smoking. It doesn't bother me.
Good for you, and take my advice, never, ever contemplate starting again.

Good for you, and take my advice, never, ever contemplate starting again.
I never had to start smoking. My brother and I were raised by 2 smoking parents with a VW Beetle and windows rolled up in the winter. We got more than out fair share in childhood. Neither of us smoked.

I read your post ,and then went for a smoke to contemplate how to reply. I have been a smoker for almost 45 years. I have stopped (not quit) three times in my life, the latest for almost 8 years, Circumstances have lead me to start smoking again. I am not proud of it.

My wife is 18 years younger than I am. We have four kids: 14,12, nine and three. All of them (and rightfully so) hate the fact that I smoke.

Ouch, you totally misunderstood my post.....you could be a 100% non smoker and non-tattooed and you'd STILL never turn me on. Never met your wife but I quarentee you she has you beat before the race even starts. :cool:

I am surprised how lax tattoo policy is. I couldn't never get away with a visible tattoo. All my ink is covered and is not in visible areas. It doesn't matter if its offensive or not just the fact that you have a tattoo.

I am surprised how lax tattoo policy is. I couldn't never get away with a visible tattoo. All my ink is covered and is not in visible areas. It doesn't matter if its offensive or not just the fact that you have a tattoo.
Where is it you work/live that doesn't allow you to have any visible tattoos?

Where is it you work/live that doesn't allow you to have any visible tattoos?
I think he grew up behind the iron curtain...I know the prisoners and gangsters had tattoos, not sure about everyone else...

I like tattoos, must be a generational thing. Always had more fun dating a woman with tattoos...

As for nicotine... I think a lot of us perform better with it, I find it helps both my nerves and cognitive abilities. Lots of ways to get the fix these days without hacking darts.

We’re on the edge of a brave new world, might as well enjoy it!

I think he grew up behind the iron curtain...I know the prisoners and gangsters had tattoos, not sure about everyone else...

I like tattoos, must be a generational thing. Always had more fun dating a woman with tattoos...

As for nicotine... I think a lot of us perform better with it, I find it helps both my nerves and cognitive abilities. Lots of ways to get the fix these days without hacking darts.

We’re on the edge of a brave new world, might as well enjoy it! :coffee:
I agree with the "generational thing". Most of the men I knew were heavy smokers. I was too. We had the freedom back then to smoke where and when we wanted. Even inside hospitals ashtrays were provided.

I remember the day I quit. It was from seeing all those smokers forced to stand outside.

What I found cool was that some, not all, who had been in the war had faded tattoos. I used to ask about them.

( Remembering that great tattoo scene in "Jaws". ) :)

"I never had to start smoking. My brother and I were raised by 2 smoking parents with a VW Beetle and windows rolled up in the winter. We got more than out fair share in childhood. Neither of us smoked."

I remember those days. Wasn't a VW. But, ashtrays and cigarette lights all over the car. No seat belts. Windows UP! , and not always in winter. Mom didn't want her hair messed up.

Mom and Dad both smoking. Little sister up front in moms lap. Me in the backseat.

images (5).jpeg

This man knows the way 😄

I did grow up behind the iron curtain. I am not that old.

I also work in IT at the levels of C, V, E people. These people do judge a book by its cover. Its no different then people saying Trump needs to be more presidential and stop tweeting. Seeing ink in visible areas is seen as low brow and unprofessional. I know a surgeon that is covered in tattoos but he at all times has them covered and you wouldn't even know he has any. You do not see politicians, and elites with huge amount of tattoos.

When you are around long enough and observe who gets promoted and who doesn't. I think that is no different in CAF from what I learned reading posts about strange promotion process, hey that guy really does a job well but he doesn't organize a fun run or a bbq ever but this guy barely knows his job but had that awesome bbq and fun run, or this individual is incompetent and a complete toxic dump and how do we get rid of him.

Visible Tattoos are just a strike against you in the private sector. I am not a in CAF so I cannot comment.

I did grow up behind the iron curtain. I am not that old.

I also work in IT at the levels of C, V, E people. These people do judge a book by its cover. Its no different then people saying Trump needs to be more presidential and stop tweeting. Seeing ink in visible areas is seen as low brow and unprofessional.

Visible Tattoos are just a strike against you in the private sector. I am not a in CAF so I cannot comment.
Yes. 100 times yes.

By all means wear your visible tattoos, and nose/face/eyebrow/tongue piercings, with pride in civvy street.

Unless you run your own business, just be prepared to settle for 'McJobs' ... in the back room away from the customers.

Yes. 100 times yes.

By all means wear your visible tattoos, and nose/face/eyebrow/tongue piercings, with pride in civvy street.

Unless you run your own business, just be prepared to settle for 'McJobs' ... in the back room away from the customers.
Society is changing on that. Take a look at how people viewed long hair on men historically and how they do now. Here is a bit of evidence from 1971 that these social taboos are declining slowly.

Five Man Electric Band - Signs with Lyrics - YouTube

Society is changing on that. Take a look at how people viewed long hair on men historically and how they do now. Here is a bit of evidence from 1971 that these social taboos are declining slowly.

Five Man Electric Band - Signs with Lyrics - YouTube
Based on my observations of the civilian workforce, and I work with hundreds of different people every year due to my occupation, it's not changing much.

The size of the pay-cheque appears to decline in inverse proportion to the quantity of visible tattoos and piercings...

Back