• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Geopolitics of it all

In the last two years in the London area - Hindu-Muslim, Hindu-Sikh, Muslim-Jew.

Is this really why they left their homelands and went to Britain? More of the same?

Song from my past -

The pendulum swings -

New Zealand had enough of Jacinda Ardern.
Ireland has had enough of Leo Varadkar, Immigrants, the EU and attempts to modernize the family.
Scotland has had enough of Humza Yusuf, Net Zero, loss of North Sea jobs, pronouns, men in skirts (from the land of the original men in skirts).

England has had enough of the Tories generally, Rishi Sunak in particular. But England looks like a scrum wheeling.
Keith Starmer is trying to make himself more electable by wheeling towards right wing policies that are popular - delaying Net Zero, backing the Cass report on transgenderism, promising to stop the boats.
Meanwhile the Tories have wheeled so far to the left that they are starting to shed defectors to the Labour Party because they consider the Tories not left wing enough.

Europe generally is backpedalling on everything from green policies to woke policies to security policies.

Progressives are not having a good time of it.

They aren't popular.

Further to...

Starmer has wheeled from women are men who believe they are men to 99% of women don't have a penis to only women have cervixes.

What does it take to get elected? And why are people distrustful of politicians?

In the last two years in the London area - Hindu-Muslim, Hindu-Sikh, Muslim-Jew.

Is this really why they left their homelands and went to Britain? More of the same?
Well might be useful to out source UK Muslim problem to the Hindu/Sikhs. They seem to have figured out how to deal with it in a "Culturally sensitive manner"

Well might be useful to out source UK Muslim problem to the Hindu/Sikhs. They seem to have figured out how to deal with it in a "Culturally sensitive manner"

Do what we did with the Catholics and Protestants - Send them to Ibrox and charge admission.

At least big capital is resilient, which is an important thing to note on May Day ;)

Let’s Talk about Geopolitical Events​

https://www.carsongroup.com/insights/blog/lets-talk-about-geopolitical-events/
The escalating tension between Israel and Iran has many investors worried about what could happen next. Although we won’t pretend to know the answer, we do understand that while geopolitical events can cause near-term market volatility, they rarely cause major problems for markets longer term.

We don’t want to minimize the events overseas, but we hear this question frequently, so we reviewed 40 major historical geopolitical events to determine the market impact. On average, we found that stocks were higher three months later. While some of these events caused recessions and likely hurt overall returns, in many cases stocks did just fine. This was probably because a stronger economy was able to absorb the impact, even if the events were sometimes devastating from a human perspective.

1714598798329.png

1714602524674.png

Your big events are hard to spot @daftandbarmy. On the long term inflation wins. On the short term you might as well role a pair of dice.

When Kate Forbes ran for SNP leader last year, the reaction was instant: how could a Christian of her unapologetic, traditional persuasion run a modern, progressive government?

It’s not just that she was born into the Free Church of Scotland: she converted into it, leaving the more liberal Presbyterian church. She disagrees with gay marriage, sex outside of marriage and even women ministers. She’d uphold everyone’s rights, she says – but her faith is real. And far more important to her than politics.

At the time, her stance struck me as brave but politically suicidal. She’d be torn apart, I thought, as surely as Tim Farron was when he led the Liberal Democrats into a general election. He ended up spending every interview dodging questions as to whether he believed gay sex was sinful then resigned, concluding that faith and politics had become incompatible.

But Forbes went on to almost beat Humza Yousaf, winning 48 per cent of the vote. She decided not to run this time and instead cut a deal with John Swinney, who will be seen as a caretaker first minister with her as the heir apparent.

A Cambridge graduate, appointed Nicola Sturgeon’s finance minister at the age of 29, Forbes has long stood out. Brought up in India to missionary parents, she first followed the normal pattern of dodging questions about her faith.

Three years ago, she changed tack. “To be straight, I believe in the person of Jesus Christ,” she told an astonished Nick Robinson. “I believe that he died for me, he saved me. And that my calling is to serve and to love him and to serve and love my neighbours with all my heart and soul and mind and strength.”

Many politicians think this, but none would dream of saying so in public – not in such language. Talking about religion can only alienate and damage your prospects, it’s argued: faith needs to be kept as a dirty secret. Not just in politics but the workplace or any public space. You’ll be accused of bigotry and it’s best just to keep quiet.

This is the quiet-Christian consensus that Forbes wanted to challenge with her campaign, even if it cost her the race. But in the end, she ended up drawing more admiration than condemnation.

This time, the controversy over her faith was over almost as soon as it began. Attempts to cast her as “the MSP for the 19th century” drew instant condemnation with academics and opposition MSPs leaping to her defence.

Douglas Alexander, tipped to be a big player in Keir Starmer’s team if elected in East Lothian, called for “tolerance towards sincerely-held religious beliefs”. The Twitterstorms, which hold a depressing amount of sway in modern politics, were directed at her critics. The debate seems to have changed – and she may well have changed it.

When LBC’s Iain Dale asked her whether he’s a sinner in the eyes of her church because he has a husband, she didn’t hold back. “I consider you as much of a sinner as I consider myself to be a sinner,” she said. “I am taught to believe that you are of greater value than I am and I am to serve you – and every citizen of Scotland – in that fashion. When it comes to legal rights, I will defend absolutely your right to live and love without harassment and fear.”

She made another interesting point: that they’re both minorities and should back each other. “I would defend to the hilt your rights in the hope that you’d also defend other minorities’ rights, including people of faith.” This is Kemi Badenoch’s point: that the equalities agenda is intended as a shield to protect people, not a sword to attack others or smear them as bigots.

Yousaf did his bit for faith in public life, releasing pictures of himself at prayer in Bute House. Rishi Sunak did the same when knelt prostrate at a temple in New Delhi. He sees Britain not as a secular country but a multi-faith democracy. One with a Muslim in London City Hall, a Hindu in No 10, a Buddhist in the Home Office (the now-departed Suella Braverman) and most importantly, voters who couldn’t care less about how any of them pray.

The prayers and Diwali candles are rare and low-key but the lack of backlash (or interest) matters. The old Alastair Campbell line – “we don’t do God” – now looks dated.

What we see now is a coming together of those seeking to promote diversity of opinion. The alliances are unusual. The Scottish Association of Mosques refused to back Yousaf and ended up praising Forbes. Joanna Cherry – a lesbian, feminist and gender-critical SNP MP – is a vocal fan of Forbes, who she admires for standing up to trans activists. Something is going on here that transcends party politics. And seems to be a rising political force.

You can only push so far and people will start pushing back.

Propaganda is back, but instead of convincing people they live in a utopia, it’s used to persuade people to stay out of politics and that there is no truth.

Propaganda is back, but instead of convincing people they live in a utopia, it’s used to persuade people to stay out of politics and that there is no truth.

Dystopia. There is no demand for change without fear. Hope is what is promised. Fear is created.

Back