• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

King Charles III

I have no issue with "Canadianizing" the monarchy. Like @Kirkhill I don't understand why we didn't take the opportunity to update the styles and just use "King of Canada, Head of the Commonwealth." But I suspect that the whole thing was largely slapped together at the last minute and someone just dusted off the proclamation from 1952 and changed the names.

Where they lose me is when they either engage in rather silly mimicry (the Herald's costume...) or just invent stuff out of thin air (the Canadian crown). It's hard to take either very seriously in the absence of actually having the King and Queen come to Canada which, to my mind, would have much more impact than tweaking symbols. One of the great things about the Royals is the degree to which they do know the country having visited more of it than most of us ever will. Yet almost 2 years after the accession and a year after the coronation no visit to the senior overseas realm (allowing for the cancer treatment I admit).

On the other hand, at least the lower level "private" visits by other Royals to the CAF continue: The Princess Royal visits British Columbia, Canada

I have to say she looks good in RCN uniforms.
I think we got a little spoiled with a Head of State who started her reign in her 20s as opposed to the King who is in his 70s and, as you say, now complicated with health issues.

There have been no lawful changes to designations of RCN ranks. The National Defence Act clearly states that such designations can only be made by the Governor in Council through regulations. The GiC has never amended the regulations.

Back