• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2023 UCP Alberta election

The second exception is when the municipality is doing something that is technically within its jurisdiction but has a significant impact beyond its boundaries.

I’m curious, do you have an example of what that might look like? Just trying to wrap my head around what that could be.

I’m curious, do you have an example of what that might look like? Just trying to wrap my head around what that could be.
Calls for the provinces to intervene in municipal zoning regulations are appealing to that principle. The idea is that municipalities are restricting the development of housing or apartments, driving up prices everywhere, which creates an imperative for the province to do something about it.

Another example would be the Ontario Liberals preventing municipalities from interfering in the development of solar and wind power projects.

Both of those examples also demonstrate the tendency for these things to become partisan issues.

Adjacent municipalities -

Development tends to follow the prevailing winds. High rent district and hospitals are on the west side. Stock yards, factories and low rent districts on the east.

Municipality to the west expands its factory zone to the east. Municipality to the east expands its high rent district to the west. Eastern high renters complain about western stock yards encroaching on their backyard barbecues.

Neither municipality wants to upset their taxbase or their voters.

Decision time.

Calls for the provinces to intervene in municipal zoning regulations are appealing to that principle. The idea is that municipalities are restricting the development of housing or apartments, driving up prices everywhere, which creates an imperative for the province to do something about it.

Another example would be the Ontario Liberals preventing municipalities from interfering in the development of solar and wind power projects.

Both of those examples also demonstrate the tendency for these things to become partisan issues.
Thanks

Back