Author Topic: Army.ca Wiki  (Read 11899 times)

Offline van Gemeren

• Rate Post
  • Milnet coin # 038
Re: Army.ca Wiki
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2006, 12:17:15 »
I've noticed lately that the wiki options are scrunched over the forum options. I have the page fully maximized on IE.

I think it is also time to start working on the non-combat arms, the problem is that I don't know their structure.
"It's tough being paranoid and having someone out to get you"
-Journeyman
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,59309.msg555623.html#msg555623

Online Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2006, 14:32:31 »
Yeah, I've taken the menu out all together, it doesn't seem to work well with the Wiki. The sidebar now has links back to Army.ca. Not perfect, but it'll do for now.

Online GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2006, 14:38:40 »
Gee, talk about well informed guys!! Sheesh...I'm intimidated by all that knowledge running around loose ;D

Actually, I am just amazed at how the wiki has taken off and the value and depth of knowledge being contributed...kinda makes me feel like a romper room reject :crybaby:
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline van Gemeren

• Rate Post
  • Milnet coin # 038
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2006, 15:52:09 »
Gee, talk about well informed guys!! Sheesh...I'm intimidated by all that knowledge running around loose ;D

Actually, I am just amazed at how the wiki has taken off and the value and depth of knowledge being contributed...kinda makes me feel like a romper room reject :crybaby:

I don't know, I have no military experience, you've got more than I. All I do is cut, paste and change around.
-Journeyman

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2006, 07:42:26 »
but, there are still a lot of blanks waiting for someone to add thier 2 cents & fill them in.

Online GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2006, 08:36:45 »
First I have to go to "How it Works.com" and find out how my Tonka toys really work ;D
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline van Gemeren

• Rate Post
  • Milnet coin # 038
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2006, 23:47:37 »
I can help teach, its just that my information bucket is empty and I've given all I could in regards to content.

GAP, if you need help, I can try to help you, I have a technique that might help (I think, I haven't tried it yet).
-Journeyman

Offline big bad john (John Hill)

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I am a poser
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2006, 02:02:24 »
I've put up pages for the Royal Marines and associated Commando Units, as well as a good start on The Dutch Marines and The Irish Defence Forces.  If anyone else wants to have a go at putting up pages for other foreign forces, in particular Australia and the US I'd appreciate the help.

Offline clasper

• Rate Post
  • former int weenie
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2006, 06:54:18 »
I think it is also time to start working on the non-combat arms, the problem is that I don't know their structure.

Just added my favourite branch.  Even resisted the urge to add a section of jokes about military intelligence and other oxymorons...
E Tenebris Lux

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I am a poser
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2006, 23:07:10 »
You will notice a new section on the main page entitled "People", with the first two entries being a work in progress on Gen. Hillier and Capt Goddard.  Please feel free to contribute to either of these entries or enter your own for people past and present in the Forces.  Just a reminder about biographies on present commanders, remember OPSEC please.

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2006, 03:27:58 »
Army.ca Wiki is really starting to look good! Keep up the good work guys.
Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

Online Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2006, 20:29:51 »
I think the trial has been a success! It's safe to say the trial is now over, and the Wiki is a permanent part of Army.ca. Many thanks to all those who have contributed so much to the Wiki... your time is appreciated by very many!

Cheers
Mike

P.S. Some wiki statistics:

288 pages
214 uploaded files

25,497 page views
2,227 page edits
1.11 average edits per page
11.45 views per edit

Online GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2006, 20:38:09 »
Wow !!!  :o  Impressive Stats and not one mention of water  ;D

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I am a poser
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2006, 20:41:12 »
I have tried to use the "Recent changes" feature a number of times tonight and get "The page cannot be displayed" message.  Do we have a problem?

Online Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2006, 21:15:42 »
Thanks for the heads up! There was an issue, but it has now been resolved.

Cheers
Mike

Offline Michael Dorosh

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt!
    • CANUCK
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2006, 22:10:07 »

A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:

(SQL query hidden)

from within function "LinksUpdate::getExistingInterlangs". MySQL returned error "1146: Table 'wikidb.army_langlinks' doesn't exist (localhost)".

There is an error message showing up after editing - I am getting this on my own website using mediawiki also.  It happens when you hit "submit" on an edit. The edit does go through, but the message still comes up.  Weird. I'm having the problem on my own site looked at. Thought you might like to know here as well.
"So, how's your sister?" -Brigadeführer Hermann Fegelein

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com
 http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I am a poser
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2006, 01:54:40 »
I was trying to upload images unsuccessfully, the following message appeared:

Database error
From Army.ca
Jump to: navigation, search
A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:
(SQL query hidden)
from within function "Title::isDeleted". MySQL returned error "1146: Table 'wikidb.army_filearchive' doesn't exist (localhost)".
Retrieved from "http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Special:Upload"

Online Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2006, 07:13:54 »
Thanks guys... I think I've fixed both of those issues. It would seem that when I upgraded the Wiki tonight the new database schema was not updated as well. Michael, in case it helps you, I had to source the mediawiki/maintenance/mysql5/tables.sql file to have the new tables created. It would not recreate older tables, so any field updates will still be missed, but this seems to have made the error go away.

Note: be sure to replace /*$wgDBprefix*/ with your actual table prefix if you do this.

Cheers
Mike
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 09:37:19 by Mike Bobbitt »

Offline Michael Dorosh

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt!
    • CANUCK
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2006, 09:12:43 »
Thanks Mike - I have been unable to upload images also, so hopefully this will fix my condition too.
Mike
"So, how's your sister?" -Brigadeführer Hermann Fegelein

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com
 http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2006, 14:22:56 »
That looks like a place that could answer a lot of question filled first posts.
Since it has a recruiting section (http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Recruiting), I've added a link to the Wiki in the recruiting FAQ on the board.  If you have a favourite recruiting question to answer, you can add the information to the Wiki.

Online NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME Instr
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2006, 17:41:20 »
I've added some info about my unit. More info to follow when I get a chance to get our history book when I get back to work. :D
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Online Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2006, 21:42:19 »
Thanks! And thanks for your patience tracking down the login issue. We now know that any forum username with a _ in it will not be able to properly log in to the Wiki.

At any rate, it looks like the Wiki has been a busy place again the last couple of days. My gratitute to all those who have contributed.

Offline Patrick H.

• Paint it all grey.
  • Rate Post
  • UBIQUE
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2006, 08:56:41 »
Mike,

I was just poking around the Wiki pages, and I must say, you guys have done a superb job organizing it. The recruiting pages should be linked from one of the FAQs as they contain pretty much any required reading. Keep up the good work with the site, just gets better and better.

Cheers,

Patrick
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

"It isn't what you've lost, but what you have left." - My great Uncle Daniel J MacDonald, Veteran Affairs Minister 1972.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2006, 11:45:35 »
I was just poking around the Wiki pages, and I must say, you guys have done a superb job organizing it. The recruiting pages should be linked from one of the FAQs as they contain pretty much any required reading. 
It has been done.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,21101.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,17703.0.html

Feel free to recommend any other FAQ that you feel it fits into (because these are the only two I know to include a wiki link)

Offline freakerz

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2009, 02:20:44 »
Hey guys,

I'ld like to start a Communicator Research Operator (291) career wiki page, but it would be great if there could be a more generic page for BMQ/SQ than the current Career Progression for a Reserve NCM (for example) since uses the Infantry as an example, could we make it more generic (e.g. what QL3, QL5, etc. goals are in general) so each career wiki page could link back to that generic BMQ/SQ page, reducing conflicting data. Then each career page would explain the career opportunities, what's going to be learned in QL3, QL5, etc. and the advanced/specialty courses.

(I realize this thread is old, and do not know if the wiki is even an active resource anymore, hope it is though!)

Maybe we could even create a standard/template for career pages?