Author Topic: Vision Questions Megathread, Categories, Problems etc.  (Read 365527 times)

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: canadian forces vision requirements
« Reply #750 on: March 01, 2017, 14:49:58 »
my prescription is 6.25 in one eye 5.5 in the other as well as a 2.9 astigmatism in one eye and a 4 in the other do i qualify for military vision requirements

Cover your left eye and read the following.

R
E A D
T H E T H
R E A D A N D
Y O U W I L L F I
N D T H E A N S W E R

Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
Re: canadian forces vision requirements
« Reply #751 on: March 01, 2017, 17:30:43 »
Cover your left eye and read the following.

R
E A D
T H E T H
R E A D A N D
Y O U W I L L F I
N D T H E A N S W E R

:rofl:

:cheers:

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Vision Questions Megathread, Categories, Problems etc.
« Reply #752 on: March 01, 2017, 17:53:07 »
That last line is awfully big. Anybody could read it.

Offline sksteve

• Rate Post
« Reply #753 on: March 17, 2017, 15:44:39 »
Quick question if any one can help. Please note, went through the pages and haven't located the exact answer to my question.

I believe my vision will be a V1 or V2 category. 6/6 left and 6/9 right eye. So i will possibly need to provide a current refractive error measurement if i fall into V2 category. My question is i recently had a routine eye exam completed to insure my eyes indeed where healthy and no issues. Was given a very minor prescription following my routine exam (is that my refractive error?) and was wondering if it is, is that all i need to bring for a current refractive error measurement or do you need additional forms following your CF medical exam?

Thanks and all the best!

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 15:52:34 by sksteve »

Offline sksteve

• Rate Post
Quick question if any one can help. Please note, went through the pages and haven't located the exact answer to my question.

I believe my vision will be a V1 or V2 category. 6/6 left and 6/9 right eye. So i will possibly need to provide a current refractive error measurement if i fall into V2 category. My question is i recently had a routine eye exam completed to insure my eyes indeed where healthy and no issues. Was given a very minor prescription following my routine exam (is that my refractive error?) and was wondering if it is, is that all i need to bring for a current refractive error measurement or do you need additional forms following your CF medical exam?

Thanks and all the best!

Offline TrunkMonkey315

• Rate Post
« Reply #755 on: March 18, 2017, 16:45:14 »
I did my medical last Oct and I'm V2. Since you've had an eye exam within the last year you just have to bring in a copy for the medical staff. Had it been more than a year they would provide you with a form to have an optometrist to fill out.

Edit: Adding to my last, there was a minor test they don't normally do in an annual exam that I had to get my optometrist to check. It took about 3 mins and they didn't even charge me for it, signed my form and I handed it back into the recruiting centre.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 16:49:29 by TrunkMonkey315 »

Offline paleomedic

• Rate Post
« Reply #756 on: March 19, 2017, 08:28:24 »
I'm currently waiting for my medical to clear up in ottawa. From what I've gathered I'm V2, 6/12 and 6/15 both corrected to 6/6, prescription is -1,00 and -1,25. I never wore glasses and fonction well without any. Is there any point where they require you to wear glasses or is it required for pretty much anyone in V2? My trade choices are V3, armoured and infantry.

I know I'll get an answer eventually, but still I'd like to know in advance in case I need to buy glasses.

If you are going Reg F, you will be given glasses in week 2 of BMQ. and every 2 years after that.

Offline BCstangWA

• Rate Post
« Reply #757 on: March 29, 2017, 07:21:18 »
Hi,

My names Ilyas im from Steveston, Richmond, BC ill post a bio in the bio section. I am a new recruit for the Air-Force, I already did my physical testing and passed with good times. I am just studying for my aptitude test & getting ready to knock it out the park. I was just wondering about the medical exam and more specifically the un-corrected vs. corrected part. If my eyes are bad without glasses or contacts on, but 20/20 vision with them on or in, will I be okay? I read around and saw the standards and stuff but it still is not clear, I also read that doesnt matter whether its 20/20 vision when you put them on or in, but that doesn't make sense, why would they test with it on if it doesn't matter?

Thanks Godbless

Offline paleomedic

• Rate Post
« Reply #758 on: April 02, 2017, 12:00:04 »
This link may answer some of your questions:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-medical-occupations/cf-visual-acuity-testing-instructions.page
I think if you are not correctable to 20/20 with your glasses, you are a risk in combat (since you can't see clearly with or without your glasses.)
If you prescription is higher than +/- 7 then you are automatically a V5 and your vision will make you unsuitable for all trades,

Offline BCstangWA

• Rate Post
« Reply #759 on: April 09, 2017, 04:30:37 »
Ah that is around my prescription I think a -7 and a -8. I decided to get laser eye surgery anyway. Thanks. I guess god has a plan for me.

Godbless.