Author Topic: The PLD Merged Thread- Read Here First  (Read 367281 times)

Offline MOOXE

• Rate Post
Re: The PLD Merged Thread- Read Here First
« Reply #975 on: January 18, 2017, 14:00:00 »
Toronto PLD Map

Offline TrunkMonkey315

• Rate Post
« Reply #976 on: February 03, 2017, 22:39:24 »
Hey team,

I'm getting back in and being posted to 3 CDSB Det Wainwright. I currently live in Gibbons AB, about 20km North of CFB Edmonton, I'm not authorized to move until after I complete my new trades QL3. I know if your not authorized to move your principle residence you can collect PLD if it falls within an area but my question is does Gibbons fall into such an area? I'm not sure what the boundaries are.

Cheers.

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #977 on: February 04, 2017, 10:44:22 »
Hey team,

I'm getting back in and being posted to 3 CDSB Det Wainwright. I currently live in Gibbons AB, about 20km North of CFB Edmonton, I'm not authorized to move until after I complete my new trades QL3. I know if your not authorized to move your principle residence you can collect PLD if it falls within an area but my question is does Gibbons fall into such an area? I'm not sure what the boundaries are.

Cheers.

Lots of folks live up that way so you should be good.  I only say should because I can't access the actual boundaries right now.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #978 on: February 04, 2017, 11:57:38 »
I did see something at work on Thursday wrt PLD.  It is going under a review at the present and they say it will soon be released.  Changes "may" be coming to where you are and therefore don't be surprised if your levels change.  (Hopefully for the better as crap isn't getting any cheaper for anyone)

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
« Reply #979 on: February 23, 2017, 15:43:49 »
Hey guys , bringing back an old question.

I searched for PLD in Comox , some people say it is 0$ ( which I believe ) but then I saw someone here saying it was 684$ yet I can't find if this is true or not.

Just want to know before I select my 3 postings , because this will weight in my choices ! thanks !
"Do not pray for an easy life , pray for the strengh to endure a difficult one"   Bruce Lee

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Let me check my Giveashitometer. Nope, nothing.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Airborne Electronic Sensor Operators - AES OP
« Reply #980 on: February 23, 2017, 16:25:37 »
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-205-officer-ncm-allowance-rates.page

Have a look at 205.45 - Post Living Differential (PLD)

1.  I would never pick a posting based on PLD.  It could disappear at anytime.  Just saying.

2.  Look at other things for Comox as well, like the entire COL in the area.  What is the average mortgage, apartment, what are PMQ rates, etc.  Same hold true for any location.
The only time you have too much gas is when you're on fire.

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
« Reply #981 on: February 23, 2017, 16:39:23 »
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-205-officer-ncm-allowance-rates.page

Have a look at 205.45 - Post Living Differential (PLD)

1.  I would never pick a posting based on PLD.  It could disappear at anytime.  Just saying.

2.  Look at other things for Comox as well, like the entire COL in the area.  What is the average mortgage, apartment, what are PMQ rates, etc.  Same hold true for any location.

Yeah I would never base my posting looking at only PLD , actually I always looked at Realtor.ca to all the location I am interested in , I am also looking at PMQ rates to the different bases too.

I am just wondering , right now I am on course with my PMQ at 815$ with 0 PLD , I was just checking if it would still be the same ball game or if it would differ a bit. 

Just to have a talk with the wifey and bring up every pros and cons with her !
"Do not pray for an easy life , pray for the strengh to endure a difficult one"   Bruce Lee

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #982 on: February 23, 2017, 16:42:21 »
Good sight for checking PMQ types, rates, etc.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-support-services-housing/locations-styles.page

Provincial tax rates, energy costs are pretty important to consider as well.   :nod:

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
« Reply #983 on: February 23, 2017, 16:54:46 »
yeah , Basically I am currently debating different posting locations

- Petawawa ( working on the chinook looks like a LOT of fun )
- Gagetown ( not going to lie , houses are pretty cheap and nice place to start a family )
- Bagotville ( girlfriend family is from Quebec and the house are still pretty affordable )
- Edmonton ( Always wanted to be there but houses are quite expensive )
- Comox ( well it's a dream location , I always dreamed of living next to the ocean and the outdoors , but it's not cheap by any mean )

My course should be done in July , we have to give our posting choice in like 1 month so I got to fix myself.  I have a girlfriend that is currently Pregnant and is due in August .... so that also put in some thinking of it's own.

That's why I am really thinking about all the places possible.

Someone here told me to pick a place to live and not a place to work , and I find it's a good advice ! haha

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #984 on: February 23, 2017, 20:21:20 »
- Comox ( well it's a dream location , I always dreamed of living next to the ocean and the outdoors , but it's not cheap by any mean )

Houses aren't cheap in Comox, but nearly everything else is.  Comox has everything at your doorstep.

I moved from Comox to Greenwood in 2013.  I lost close to $600 a month off my pay in taxes after stepping foot in NS.   That's not chump change brother.  So you really have to look at everything.

I know there are many factors to look at, but right now if you are looking for a first posting, Comox would be a good choice, IMHO.  The options are there, buy a condo, townhouse or rent a q.   

You won't be there forever. 

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #985 on: February 23, 2017, 21:25:05 »
I moved from Comox to Greenwood in 2013.  I lost close to $600 a month off my pay in taxes after stepping foot in NS.   

And Nova Scotia thanks you for your hard earned tax dollars.   :nod:

Offline Bradboy

• Rate Post
« Reply #986 on: March 18, 2017, 11:57:58 »
I did see something at work on Thursday wrt PLD.  It is going under a review at the present and they say it will soon be released.  Changes "may" be coming to where you are and therefore don't be surprised if your levels change.  (Hopefully for the better as crap isn't getting any cheaper for anyone)

Any update on this? Just found out I'm posted to Comox and curious if it has made the list for PLD yet.
"Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise."   Tommy Douglas - Greatest Canadian

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #987 on: March 18, 2017, 16:40:27 »
Any update on this? Just found out I'm posted to Comox and curious if it has made the list for PLD yet.

No, sorry not a peep as yet.  I'm hoping that no news, will translate into good news.

Offline Bradboy

• Rate Post
« Reply #988 on: March 18, 2017, 21:33:01 »
No, sorry not a peep as yet.  I'm hoping that no news, will translate into good news.

Okay please advise when you hear something!
"Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise."   Tommy Douglas - Greatest Canadian