Author Topic: Goose Bay: Promises & updates  (Read 66640 times)

Offline Gunner

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Artillery Forum Moderator
Re: New Battalion at Goose Bay - Conservative brain wave
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2005, 21:17:39 »
Shilo has a "city" of 35K people about 15 minutes down the road from it.  I don't think Goose falls into this category (in fact I beleive it is considered an isolated posting).
Had a wonderful ~26 years in the military and still miss it.

Offline Marauder

• Rate Post
  • Dirty Infidel
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2005, 23:14:40 »
Good initiative, but wrong.
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of lambs."

Offline onewingwonder

• It's all gone pear-shaped!
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2005, 08:22:58 »
Not sure how Shearwater could be expanded/upgraded. Wasn't the long runway and 3/4 of the land sold to private interests a few years ago? As for the government saying they'll NOW pay to upgrade runway in Goose, its too late. They refused when the RAF asked, which is why the Mob left a couple of months ago.
If we refuse to learn from history, we are destined to repeat it.

Offline Marty

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2005, 10:03:21 »
Shilo has a "city" of 35K people about 15 minutes down the road from it.  I don't think Goose falls into this category (in fact I beleive it is considered an isolated posting).

The only thing Goose has 15 mins down the road is Sheshashit( I know that isnt the right spelling )......a Reserve ....it was the place in the news a few years back re  the kids sniffing glue . Theres also beautiful Mud Lake . Metro Mud Lake has 20 people I think but Industry Canada says a major economic boom is on the horizon.........if the Liebrals get back in that is . But the hunting is great .

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2005, 16:04:44 »
Not sure how Shearwater could be expanded/upgraded. Wasn't the long runway and 3/4 of the land sold to private interests a few years ago? As for the government saying they'll NOW pay to upgrade runway in Goose, its too late. They refused when the RAF asked, which is why the Mob left a couple of months ago.

I believe it's in the hands of the Canada Lands Corp, but from what I've heard, it won't be hard to get back. We still shoot approaches to 16/34 and all the lighting is still there and operational. From what I see, there's no threat of private interests taking over anytime soon.
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • Currently posting at Canadian Defence & Foreign Affairs Institute's "3Ds Blog"
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2006, 16:34:28 »
A good column by Senator Colin Kenny, chair of the Senate Standing Committee on National Security and Defence:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/common/committee_Senhome.asp?Language=E&parl=39&Ses=1&comm_id=76

The Goose Bay boondoggle
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/issuesideas/story.html?id=7335e073-0578-40fc-90a7-7ed974648ad8

Mark
Ottawa

Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline probum non poenitet

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006, 17:54:03 »
It appears to me that basing units in bum**** nowhere (Shiloh, Goose Bay) or basing them in/near big cities (Winnipeg) isn't working - perhaps mid-sized communities are the answer;

Two words: Las Vegas ... sure it's another country, but think of the retention!
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
- Pericles

Offline Mr.Newf

• King of the Granite Planet
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Fuc*in Eh!
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2006, 17:58:35 »
Do you think that they could put a battalion here in Newfoundland? Perhaps in central NL like Gander or Grand Falls, or on the Burin peninsula around Marystown. I think that would be a good idea.
I am the one and only

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2006, 19:24:37 »
Do you think that they could put a battalion here in Newfoundland? Perhaps in central NL like Gander or Grand Falls, or on the Burin peninsula around Marystown. I think that would be a good idea.

How about in Petawawa, Ontario.  Oh wait, we just did that.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2006, 20:29:11 »
nah.... If you want newfoundlanders to be in the Battalion you have to put it where the able bodied Newfs are..... err..... Ft McMurray OR Toronto :)
Chimo!

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2006, 20:33:41 »
Do you think that they could put a battalion here in Newfoundland? ....  I think that would be a good idea.
Why?

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Chimo!

Offline BernDawg

• Wood Butcher
  • Rate Post
  • Retired... workin' harder than ever!
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2006, 20:47:56 »
nah.... If you want newfoundlanders to be in the Battalion you have to put it where the able bodied Newfs are..... err..... Ft McMurray OR Toronto :)

Great plan but the Feds couldn't afford the PLD in Ft Mac!  ;D
"We can't all be heroes... because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."  Will Rogers
Someone has to be last.  At least if it's me I know where all the assholes are.

Offline EX_RCAC_011

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Confirmation of combat knowledge (C.O.C.K)
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2006, 21:20:37 »
why?operational Army bases in:
Base in Edmonton
Base In petawawa
Base in Valcartier
why not have one on the far east!Boost poor economy also.

And I'm willing to bet Newfies make up 35% of the army.I heard a number of 60 percent east coasters,but that's just from talk alone.

Why not?Recruitment would go through the roof in NFLD.Be able to live in the best place in north America and get to serve overseas with steady pay.Plus the poor economy would be sending them in droves.
nah.... If you want Newfoundlanders to be in the Battalion you have to put it where the able bodied Newfs are..... err..... Ft McMurray OR Toronto :)

Your an ignorant ****.Plain and simple.Won't stoop to your level.

From an Able body Newfoundlander,not in Toronto or Ft Mcmurry.

P.S if all are left home is weak broken people take a run down George street on a Friday night....mainlander with your attitude proably wouldn't last long.
"Sure everything looks bad if you remember.....now where are my chili boot?"

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2006, 21:23:42 »
why?operational Army bases in:
Base in Edmonton
Base In petawawa
Base in Valcartier
why not have one on the far east!
Maybe something like Gagetown?

Offline EX_RCAC_011

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2006, 21:26:39 »
note operational as in brigade.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2006, 21:27:37 »
That is not what operational means.  Gagetown does have an infantry battalion and an Engineer Regiment.

Offline EX_RCAC_011

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2006, 21:38:20 »
rcr 2 brigade

Echo? I really don't know.It's not a brigade where you have no armoured support and only 1 batallion.

Every other province has a regular force army base(except PEI).Newfoundland doesnt and is right on salt water (surrounded actually) and closer to europe.But that would be such a sin to make mainlanders move away from their provinces for the rest of their lifes,with no hope of ever getting posted near family.

Personally I could care less where they post me.Except north I freakin hate cold.I do hate the certain people who turn where a base could be in the province of NFLD and turn it into insults.Personally I don't think he/she would do it in person,hence the internet tough guy.Im also 6 foot 7 320 lbs on a keyboard. ::)

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2006, 21:41:16 »
Every other province has a regular force army base(except PEI).
You need to check your facts.  You are arguing on untruths and they make everything you've said irrelevant.

Why put a Bn in Newfoundland?

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2006, 21:45:37 »
Your an ignorant ****.Plain and simple.Won't stoop to your level.

From an Able body Newfoundlander,not in Toronto or Ft Mcmurry.

P.S if all are left home is weak broken people take a run down George street on a Friday night....mainlander with your attitude proably wouldn't last long.

Power down the Death Star and go find the word "humour" in the dictionary.

As well, I've seen nothing to justify your claim except for providing a boost to the local economy.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline EX_RCAC_011

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2006, 21:59:38 »
from the west east regular force bases

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Forces_Base

Here's a list then MCG.As you will notice you will not find any CFB in Newfoundland except gander...you aint gettin posted there.You will also note there is one for every other province besides Newfoundland and PEI.PEI proably doesn't have the training room for a large base.

Having a base in Newfoundland would boost an economy that has fell through the floor.Boarding ship could be done at CFSSt.johns to deploy by sea and fly out of st.johns international.It has a wide variety of training area.Note how CSOR had to go to kamloops for mountain training.We have the torngat mountans range,largest mountains east of the Rocky's.Plenty of untouched land,coast line that isn't dotted with town houses.You could go from an urban training environment to a rural community then to deep forest within the hour.
Theres a few reasons,and sorry infanteer I just ain't fussy on dat stuff bye (while doing a jig eating cod in a southwestern).

Typical

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2006, 22:04:50 »
Here's a list then MCG.As you will notice you will not find any CFB in Newfoundland.
I now realize your problem is that you speak "army" about as well as a civi.  You said:
but we know that not every CFB houses an Army unit or formation. (You do know that, right?)

You also provided the interesting interpretation of:
operational as in brigade.

Have you spent all your military time serving in offices full of just civies?

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2006, 22:13:14 »
from the west east regular force bases

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Forces_Base

Here's a list then MCG.As you will notice you will not find any CFB in Newfoundland except gander...you aint gettin posted there.You will also note there is one for every other province besides Newfoundland and PEI.PEI proably doesn't have the training room for a large base.

As MCG mentioned, you were speaking about the Army.  I don't see BC, Saskatchewan, or Nova Scotia on the list either....

Having a base in Newfoundland would boost an economy that has fell through the floor.

Again, if this is your primary rationale for a base, then you may as well stop now, especially when Senator Colin Kenny just stated we need to close down these bases and get these communities off the dependence of a garrison.

Note how CSOR had to go to kamloops for mountain training.We have the torngat mountans range,largest mountains east of the Rocky's.

The Kamloops area offered infrastructure (I know, I've trained there) and a rocky, mountainous arid terrain (I know, I've been there umpteen times).  Remind you of something?

Theres a few reasons,and sorry infanteer I just ain't fussy on dat stuff bye (while doing a jig eating cod in a southwestern).

Typical

Well, I'm having trouble sorting your posts out from the typical 14-year old banter that I have to edit around here, so please offer up something with substance and answer the questions or quit wasting bandwidth.

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2006, 22:15:27 »
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline ArmyVern

in Ottawa.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2006, 22:24:10 »
rcr 2 brigade

Personally I could care less where they post me.Except north I freakin hate cold.I do hate the certain people who turn where a base could be in the province of NFLD and turn it into insults.Personally I don't think he/she would do it in person,hence the internet tough guy.Im also 6 foot 7 320 lbs on a keyboard. ::)

Please don't get posted to PEI....us Reg Force Army people who are posted here probably won't be able to enlighten you any further than you already have been....please please please.

PS...can someone please point out to me when exactly the Patricia's moved back to BC or when did they build a Reg F army Base in Nova Scotia....I seemed to have missed it and want to add them to my posting choices?  ::)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 22:27:03 by Armyvern »
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.