Author Topic: Getting Back In/Re-enrolling Mega Thread  (Read 330545 times)

maple_leaf_forever

Getting Back In/Re-enrolling Mega Thread
« on: November 15, 2001, 17:25:00 »
Question:

After your initial 3 year enlistment in the CF do you have to enlist for another 3 years after that ? or can you just go by the year after that ?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 15:13:15 by kratz »

towhey

Re: re-inlistment
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2001, 18:36:00 »
Following an initial 3 year Basic Engagement, most soldiers who re-enlist do so on a second 3-year Basic Engagement.

After that, they may be offered an "Intermediate Engagement", essentially to the 20 year service point.  (i.e. about 14 more years)

At some point during that 20 years they may be offered an opportunity to convert to an "Indefinite Period of Service" that will take them to compulsory retirement age.

Ron

Re-enrollment experience
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2001, 21:55:00 »
I am planning to re-enlist in the military. After 20 years as a TelOp212 (now SigOp215) I just found out that my experience does not count for anything! I have been out of the military for 6 years and will obviously need training to upgrade my skills. Just being given" recruit school bypass‘ is an insult to my career and the years I served. In hindsight, I wish I had never been released. To start over as a recruit is going to be hard but that is what I have to do I guess.
                                     Ron  :confused:

Offline para

• Rate Post
  • Paratrooper
Re-Enlistment Blues...ex-serviceman are not appreciated!!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2001, 19:38:00 »
What did you expect I mean 6 years is a big gap especially in the sigs world just thimk of the technology.
I have served with guys that have got out and had to go back to basic with only 3 yrs. out.
feel lucky that they let you back in at all.
?When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight. You call, we fall, no sky too high?

kowalski

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2001, 21:34:00 »
you should be given some amount of credit for your time in service.ive known some reservists and they were credited for their reserve service.besides after 6 years there must have been a few changes.anyway welcome back!

Offline Soldier of Fortune

• Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2001, 15:33:00 »
Does anybody know if when you get a transfer from reserve to reg what happens to your rank and stuff. I‘ve been told that your experience insn‘t really worth much if you decide you want to go reg from reserve...
:bullet:    Soldier of Fortune    :bullet:

the patriot

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2001, 17:34:00 »
When you transfer from the Reserve Force to the Regular Force, your time in the reserves does count.  It depends on the offer you receive from CFRC and the regiment you‘ll be serving with.  It all comes down to what courses you‘ve had and how many year of OJT (on the job training) experience you‘ve had.  You may be transferred in kind without it effecting your rank, or you might be knocked down a rank.

-the patriot-  :cdn:

Offline Shrapnel

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2001, 23:06:00 »
Knocked down a rank?

I didn‘t know they did that....
I always thought that was considered a "bad" thing.

I get sworn in to the Reserves next week.

I was thinking of joining the Reserves for a bit to see what the army was like and if I like it, I might sign up for the Reg Forces.

Offline Enfield

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2001, 23:19:00 »
For the Infantry....
Reg to Reserve: Everything counts, but what rank they make you depends on their needs - ie, they may not need another sergeant major or Colonel. But Reserve units are usualy anxious to take advantage of Reg Force experience.

Reserve to Reg: Your time in counts towads your pension. Other than that, it matters jack ****. If you get a Reg course - like Jump, and last summer‘s Recce course was Reg Force - it still counts, but Militia courses don‘t.
If you go on a tour your not allowed to go to Battle School, you go strait to Regiment.
If you have massive amounts of time in and experience you might get to keep some rank. For example, my QL3 instructor, a sergeant with a tour in the Golan and lots of time in, transferred over and became a corporal.
May You Live in Interesting Times

Offline Shrapnel

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2001, 00:46:00 »
Originally posted by Enfield:
[qb]
If you have massive amounts of time in and experience you might get to keep some rank. For example, my QL3 instructor, a sergeant with a tour in the Golan and lots of time in, transferred over and became a corporal.[/qb]

Thanks for the info.

I have two more questions though- when you transfer from reserves to reg forces, is it a smooth transition or do you have to quit one first then join the other? What about from reg forces to reserves?

Offline SynapticHammer

• Rate Post
  • Noli Cedere / Never Give Up
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2001, 21:59:00 »
Wow, have things changed here! I haven‘t posted since 1998.  In any case, I‘m applying to the Regs too, but only been out of the Reserves for 2.5 years.  Hope it works out for us.

Good luck Ron!

aurawolf

Recruit School By-Pass (RSBP)
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2001, 21:47:00 »
I could use some help. I just recieved my compenent transfer. I am an infantry reserve private with 4 RCR, and I am going sigs215, but they gave me a recruit school by-pass.  Theoretically a good thing, but I have only been in since the end of June this year and the only training I have is my 2/3‘s from the summer I did in Meaford.  But the training was a little hurried.  They left out alot of important things!!  I have never been gassed, I didn‘t do a battle fitness test, the longest I have ever ruck-marched is 7 kliks, I only even wore a gas mask once. For goodness sakes I have never even done a night nav! I am hiker so I can but I didn‘t do one in training! My infantry course didn‘t teach me the gutov or the c6, and I havent done a swim test. I have never even been in shacks before (we stayed in Mods).  I was just informed that I am shipping out on Jan 7th, and sometime between then and the 7th of mar. I am taking a driver wheel, then I start my sigs course.  Which means there is no time to request a basic.  Does anyone have an idea as to how I can make up the training :o o

Offline para

• Rate Post
  • Paratrooper
Re: Recruit School By-Pass
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2001, 13:57:00 »
All I have to say is the recruiter is odviously pushing you through because there was probably a shortage or a lack af recriuts for this course.
My advice is just go with it and let your insructors know (pick a time to talk in confidence) of your short comings (don‘t andvertise it) and you may recieve more training. Just worry about the course you are on at the time and you will have time to learn from the people on course with you to help you. And you might have some infantry skills these sigs guys may lack :bullet: bullet :bullet: bullet :bullet:
?When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight. You call, we fall, no sky too high?

Offline RCA

• Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
Re: Recruit School By-Pass
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2001, 03:03:00 »
Your main concern should be passing your trade’s course. Concentrate on that. Once posted, when you are required to do skills you are not familiar with, put up your hand and say (honestly you haven‘t done it/not familiar with it.) You will get the benefit of the doubt and someone should/will help you out. At this point it will not hurt you admitting that you don‘t know something, As a Pte you are not expected to know/remember everything and with the training system being what it is, not unexpected. When someone shows how it is done soak it in and learn.

Don‘t worry. As I said before at this point in time, it is important to learn your trade, the rest will come from learning and experience.
Ubique

Pyropete

Recruit School By-Pass (RSBP)
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2004, 11:15:00 »
:warstory:  I thinking of returning to the forces. I been out 2 years and I am wanting to got reg force this time. I was wondering about RSBP, how they deside if you don‘t do basic. Is better to go to basic? Can you deside to got to basic even when you are eligible for this entry plan? The recuriter wasn‘t very helpfull, I was told they would let me know if I eligible at enrollment. If anyone could give heads up please.
  :salute:

Offline Casing

• Rate Post
  • Gimme Farnham every day
Re: Recruit School By-Pass (RSBP)
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2004, 12:05:00 »
Since no one seems to be giving you an answer, I‘ll give you my understanding (which should NOT be taken as gospel) and at the same time bump this thread up for you.  First of all, how long were you in the Reserves for?  That might have an impact on the decision.  Without fobbing off at the mouth about reasons and exceptions, you will more than likely have to do basic upon enrolling into the Regs.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
Re: Recruit School By-Pass (RSBP)
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2004, 12:11:00 »
The recruiter can‘t tell you that, he hasn‘t seen the Verification of Former Service, which must be done on re-enrollees. The assessment on what equivalencies will be granted i determined by CFRG, not at the CFRC. All you can do is apply and wait for the offer; you don‘t have to sign if you don‘t like the offer.

tigerchasers

Re-enrollment experience
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2004, 19:09:01 »
I am currently a reservist on edt who has requested  release from the army. I haven't received my release letter yet and decided that I wanted to transfer from reserve to reg's any edvice on that
and anyone know how long it will take

Offline Canadian.Trucker

• Roadrunner Actual
  • Rate Post
    • G&SF Website
Re: re enlist
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2004, 14:51:24 »
A component transfer or re-enrollment takes a while because you basically need to do everything that a first time applicant does.  However, you also need to do a bit more.  Things such as VFS (verification of former service) and all that good stuff.  I would suggest trying to go component transfer though, because a re-enrollment is a pain in the *** you don't need.  If you get out then go to get back in they need to pull up all your previous docs from your unit/archives.  Short story, do a CT you'll like it a lot more.
Tenacious and Versatile-G & SF

"Nevermind, I'll do it myself" - Me

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
- George Orwell

Offline wack-in-iraq

• Rate Post
gettin back in.... eventually
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2005, 01:38:15 »
not sure if this question belongs here or in the other areas of the forum, but here goes.....
   in the quest to find some action i left the canadian army and got myself a job in Baghdad. i will eventually be heading back to canada and to the army once i am ready to settle down and live the easy life, but what i am curious about is how long do i have before my courses are no longer valid. i really dont feel like doing my QL3 031 over again, but i guess i may have no choice if i leave it too long. also, if i get back in before this deadline, what are the chances of requesting the Bn of my choice ?
no, i wont get you a job, so stop asking

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
Re: gettin back in.... eventually
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2005, 09:11:01 »
Skilled

Applicant has completed Reg F recruit and MOC trg, and applying for the same MOC and has been released less than five years. File will be forwarded to the appropriate MA/School to determine skilled status. If not considered skilled, then RSBP.

RSBP

Applicant has completed Reg F recruit and MOC trg, has been released for less than ten years and applying for any MOC (see Note B), unless granted skilled status.

Note B

if elapsed time since date of release is greater than five years, CFRG HQ in consultation with MA will review on a case by case basis if applicant has maintained relevant skills or qualifications deemed to be of military value.
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline wack-in-iraq

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2005, 15:12:41 »
so what you are saying is, i have 5 years since i left before i have to redo my QL3 ?
no, i wont get you a job, so stop asking

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2005, 15:37:29 »
so what you are saying is, i have 5 years since i left before i have to redo my QL3 ?
If you were Reg F and the school says okay yes.  Don't forget since you worked outside Canada you will have to do a pre-enrolment security check when you apply and that takes a long time.
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline Raquette

• Rate Post
Rejoining / Reenrolling after a VR
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2005, 05:39:30 »
I was wondering if the army take back people who had VR (Volontary Release) ?
I hate this civilian life, everything is so boring... Damn.

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
Re: Had to VR for dumb reasons and want to get back in.
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2005, 07:34:39 »
Well, what is the dumb reason - I'm sure if you give us some info, we can help.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr