Author Topic: Media: Bias, errors, follies, etc. (merged)  (Read 464312 times)

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: CBC Political Bias
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 18:02:43 »
Interesting.  It will be available on the CBC website, eh!.  I wonder how ethically CBC may treat the report if it is condemning their actions?  Will they publish it in a next to impossible to find link to a next to impossible to identify 'Identifier' under some equally impossible to fathom Title?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Cataract Kid

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 18:10:22 »
GAP, although I have had no experience in dealing with them, maybe the CRTC is the way to go?

Online GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2006, 18:38:02 »
GAP, although I have had no experience in dealing with them, maybe the CRTC is the way to go?
That may be an idea, but first whether it is the ombudsman or the CRTC, the producer must be given the opportunity to reply (which he did), then the ombudsmen, then maybe the crtc...we'll see
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline Freddy G

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2006, 21:06:00 »
Uh, is it just me or cbc.ca/ombudsman/findings doesn't actually exist?

Sorry, we can't find the page you requested.
My posts are my opinion alone and do not reflect any other person or group's opinion... because you can't handle the truth, and deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to say these things.

Offline Cataract Kid

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2006, 21:21:21 »

Works for me.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME Instr
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2006, 21:31:13 »

Doesn't work cause addy is misspelled http://www.cbc.ca/ombudsman/page/findings.html
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Freddy G

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2006, 21:53:57 »
Doesn't work cause addy is misspelled http://www.cbc.ca/ombudsman/page/findings.html

Thanks. I was starting to wonder how much integrity CBC had left (none) if their own ombudsman doesn't actually have a page to report his findings.
My posts are my opinion alone and do not reflect any other person or group's opinion... because you can't handle the truth, and deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to say these things.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2006, 22:10:47 »
Some Googled quotes from Mr. Carlin, to give a bit of a sense...

Truth takes a bullet in the anti-terror war
Hamilton Spectator, 8 Dec 01
''Journalists are always good at covering someone else's conflict. They seem to have greater difficulty in covering their own country's wars. The role of journalists in a conflict is to be fair witnesses to reality -- representatives of the average person at the scene of the action.  Leaders, even in times of war, must have their decisions scrutinized by citizens. Journalists provide that bridge between the event and the citizen.  A careful study of the U.S. experience in Vietnam should lead one to the conclusion that the U.S. lost because it lost the support of its people. I would argue the support was lost because the people realized their leaders were lying about the war. ''

From Proceedings of the Standing Senate Committee on Transport and Communications
Issue 9, Evidence, May 13, 2003 at
http://tinyurl.com/qrf7o
''For all journalists, I would endorse the notion of some national reference point for accountability — not to a government, but to a representative or representatives of the public. Owners and journalists have rights, to be sure, but neither have license. People who feel ill-used by journalism should have the ability to complain to someone who at least has the moral authority to hold them to account.''

''Former head of CBC Newsworld Vince Carlin says of the Bush administration, "They learned the wrong lessons from Vietnam and still think lying to the public is the best course." ''
Jessica Lynch's Story is Turning 'Into a Monster' for the Bush Administration
Toronto Star, 16 Nov 03, as reprinted here:
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/1116-02.htm :bullet:
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline mainerjohnthomas

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2006, 00:16:01 »
The print media is no better.  I back checked a story in the National Post a few months ago claiming Iran had passed a law requiring those of other religions to wear identifying marks or colours.  Some have proposed this before, but been shut down quietly and firmly in the past.  It turns out the National Post was talking out its ***, no such bill had been read, let alone passed by the Iranian legislators.  By the time I researched that, the story was in half the national and international papers.  All quoting the National Post article, and none back checking the source.  The National Post printed a very discrete retraction.  This isn't a shot against any one paper, because none of them checked the facts before writing.
When cowards run from death, it is life they escape.

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2006, 09:14:03 »
I believe that incident was posted here as well and eventually the truth came out.
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline Japexican

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2006, 01:15:30 »
The response is up on the website... the thread is a bit old, but its interesting to see how it resolved itself.  Never pass a fault and all that.  The report is a few pages long, so I figured I'd just post the highlight.  I'm sure somebody could probably write a nice article about the CBC admitting to a complete lack of journalistic standards using a few "strategic" quotes >:D, but that would be stooping to their level and its time for bed anyways.

"In this case, the most dramatic element of the item was just unfair and, as I said above,
violated the direct prohibition on using an answer from one question as if it were an
answer to another. The producer argues that Mr. Harper’s views were fairly stated, but
the context and structure were such as to mislead the viewer."

http://www.cbc.ca/ombudsman/page/Lawand.pdf

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

is thinking beach volleyball.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2006, 08:33:14 »
Hopefully, in the journo world, that means something.......
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline IN HOC SIGNO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Vocatio Ad Servitium
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2006, 18:07:18 »
Hopefully, in the journo world, that means something.......

yeah right.....she probably didn't even give it a second thought.

Offline a78jumper

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2006, 13:25:46 »
PC Dumping Program.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our curious public broadcasting system had an even stranger chair. Another Fiberal appointee bites the dust...though it makes you wonder why someone a little younger did not get the job. Ooops silly me, this was his reward, five years at the trough.

http://news.channels.aolsvc.aol.ca/l...19183609990002

CBC Chair Quits After Controversial Remarks
OTTAWA (CP) - CBC chairman Guy Fournier has resigned after controversial comments he made about bestiality and bowel movements.

Heritage Minister Bev Oda made the announcement today during question period in the House of Commons.

Fournier, 75, became the target of anger and criticism in recent days after falsely claiming in a French-language magazine article that Lebanon permits bestiality, and for granting a lengthy interview on the joys of bowel movements.

Fournier, a well-known playwright and producer, apologized Sunday on French-language television but it was too late.

Oda told the Commons that Fournier, who was appointed by the previous Liberal regime to a five-year term last September, "has increasingly lost the confidence of Canada's new government."

The minister said she received Fournier's "voluntary resignation" effective immediately.

09-19-06 18:10 EDT

Offline COBRA-6

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2006, 13:35:17 »
to be replaced by Lowell Green effective immediately  :D
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline a78jumper

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2006, 13:38:11 »
That I wanna see!!!!

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2007, 20:14:25 »
This story can stand without comment by me:

http://www.stephentaylor.ca/archives/000919.html

CPC wants answers over alleged CBC-LPOC collusion

Official Conservative Party press release just received:

Conservatives Demand Answers from the CBC over Alleged Collusion with the Liberal Party

OTTAWA - Today, former Liberal Cabinet Minister and current TVA journalist Jean Lapierre made shocking allegations about strategic collusion between journalists at the CBC and Liberal Members of Parliament at the House of Commons Ethics Committee.

According to Lapierre Liberal Members of Parliament asked former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney questions written by journalists at the CBC regarding any involvement in the spectrum auction for cellular and wireless devices.

"I knew all about those questions. They were written by the CBC and provided to the Liberal Members of Parliament and the questions that Pablo Rodriguez asked were written by the CBC and I can't believe that but last night, influential Member of Parliament came to me and told me those are the questions that the CBC wants us to ask tomorrow." (CTV Newsnet, December 13, 2007)

If proven true these allegations would mark the third major case of orchestrated anti-Conservative bias from a broadcaster that is financed by all Canadians for the benefit of all Canadians.

In 2004 an email from Stephanie Matteis of CBC's The National exposed the CBC's search for Canadians that would not vote for the Conservatives because they were "scared, freaked out or worried about the Conservatives, the Conservative agenda or its leader." (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/archives/003009.html )

The CBC was also forced on August 21, 2006 to express "regret" over a story by CBC reporter Christina Lawand that misrepresented an answer given by Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper. (http://www.stephentaylor.ca/archives/000645.html )

"This is a very serious allegation that the CBC must provide an answer
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline cheeky_monkey

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2007, 20:16:55 »
Gotta love "un-biased" MSM, especially when it's funded by the public, and is in-bed with the Official Opposition. It'll be interesting to see the Grit's response.
Verité, Devoir, Vaillance

Offline RangerRay

• Rate Post
  • Kloshe Nanitch
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2007, 20:26:53 »
There will be no response.  The MSM will not report it, therefore it will never have happened.  Only us junkies who get our news from the blogosphere will know.

:-X
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Offline COBRA-6

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2007, 20:28:19 »
There will be no response.  The MSM will not report it, therefore it will never have happened.  Only us junkies who get our news from the blogosphere will know.

:-X

are you kidding? I bet the other, non-government funded MSM will be all over this!

watch and shoot!
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Online GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2007, 20:33:46 »
Mike Duffy is covering it with Rodriguez, Co-martin, and ??. Not being subtle at all.

It was comical actually. I watched the hearings via the internet live this morning. Any commentary the CBC made was like pulling teeth that Mulroney was essentially kicking the committee's ***.

Then on "As it Happens" the questions were trying to demonize Mulroney every which way.

Bias....nah....(giggle)
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline cheeky_monkey

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2007, 20:48:31 »
Mike Duffy is covering it with Rodriguez, Co-martin, and ??. Not being subtle at all.
Bias....nah....(giggle)

1.) I've always found Mike Duffy to be one of the best Canadian political analysts. That Don guy that CBC has is too old, and too uninteresting...

2.) I had to laugh at that. :D
Verité, Devoir, Vaillance

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2007, 20:54:08 »
Time to cut off their funding and let them try stay in business as a private corporation. The CPC should be shouting this from the rooftops, and turn this whole Mulroney thing around on the libs. It would seem that Dion and his minions can't seem to do anything above board. The whole party is corrupt and has been for years. Honesty and fair play just isn't in their rule book.
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
-P.J. O’Rouke-

DISCLAIMER - my opinion may cause manginal irritation.

Offline COBRA-6

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2007, 21:00:28 »
Time to cut off their funding and let them try stay in business as a private corporation. The CPC should be shouting this from the rooftops, and turn this whole Mulroney thing around on the libs. It would seem that Dion and his minions can't seem to do anything above board. The whole party is corrupt and has been for years. Honesty and fair play just isn't in their rule book.

I bet there are a whole bunch of CPC staff working late tonight in Ottawa  ;)
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2007, 21:18:20 »
Then on "As it Happens" the questions were trying to demonize Mulroney every which way.

That's how AIH seems to work - if you're a guest, you're either going to be painted as the hero, or the villan.  I guess they pigeonhole Brian M. into the latter.   ::)
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter