Author Topic: Security Check/Level Superthread [MERGED]  (Read 520413 times)

Ender57

Re: Security Check/Level Superthread [MERGED]
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2004, 12:44:00 »
If you do have a criminal record just make sure that you tell them about it. If they find out on there own they won‘t be to happy about it and it will greatly affect your ability to join the armed forces.

Duotone81

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2004, 13:09:00 »
If you were already accepted, as you stated in another thread that you were, you passed the security check.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2004, 13:21:00 »
And yes if you did drugs recently they will know. No there isn‘t a way around it.

smoky

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2004, 05:06:00 »
well i thought all was going smoothly  but apparently my security check could take a while because i left canada last year and spent more than 4 weeks outof the country they said because of that a thourough investagtion would have to be done and that could take 6-9 months anyone every gone threw this??  im canadian born citizen not a landed immigrant i dont see what the problem is

is 6-9 months just a blanket answer??

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2004, 15:16:00 »
Hi Smoky,

I am going through the same check right now. I spent a couple of years outside of Canada, but I was told the check could take 4-13 months.

I don‘t think it is a blanket answer because each check can take a various amout on time depending on what countries you have been to or if any red flags come up. If you are outside the country they are worried about the possibility you came into contact with bad people, or are a spy etc. There is not anything you can do to hasten the process that I am aware of.

If you were in a fellow NATO country, then I would speculate that your check would be processed pretty fast. However if you were backpacking through Afganistan, Packistan, or similar country then that would raise some eyebrows and they would start picking up the phone to interview people, and that is where you would be waiting for a long time.

Kind of sucks doesn‘t it? You go out in the world to get some very valuable life experience and in a way you are punished by being made to wait a potentially long time. Oh well, it is  nessecary for them to do I guess. Better than risking a spy getting into the forces.
Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

koach

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2004, 01:51:00 »
The background check or ‘Enhanced Reliability Check‘ is initiated during the recruiting process; normally after the interview.  If you have resided in Canada for the past 10 years, the results come back fairly quickly.  However, if you have lived outside the country within the past 10 years, your background check may take much longer.

koach

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2004, 02:01:00 »
The CFRC will initiate the ERC only after you have completed the authorization form.  This form is usually completed near the beginning of the recruiting process.  Where I work, the ERC is initiated after the CFAT.

MACK

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2004, 22:55:00 »
Has anyone came across this one?
I served 12 years in canadian forces.
5 years in British i was released in oct 2003.
Applied to be an Officer in nov 2004 back in canada Regular forces. Had my test and await RCMP
security clearance I have been told i may wait another year??? I will not sit around and wait i shall badger who ever i need too!! Anyone any tips or advice?  :warstory:  

Mack.

Offline Theoat

• Rate Post
  • Private
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2004, 23:04:00 »
I have heard from a recruiter, if you have been outside Canada for 6 months or longer(I believe it was) during the past 10 years of your life, you are looking at 18 months + for CSIS to complete your security clearance. This if due to the 9/11 safety measures put in place. Someone else on here can probably confirm this.

koach

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2004, 23:22:00 »
Any applicant who has resided outside of Canada within the past 10 years has to go through this process.  This Security Preassessment can take anywhere from 3-18 months to complete and there is nothing you can do to speed up this process!

My advise would be to call the CFRC periodically (once every couple of months) and inquire about the status of your file.

zbtneg

« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2004, 04:50:00 »
Actually, I was told by my recruiter that if I‘d taken vacations longer than 3 weeks in the last 10 years that my application would take longer. And if I‘d taken any vacation to a proscribed country (don‘t know which those are) it would take longer too.

Thankfully I‘m too poor to take vacations. heh.

MACK

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2004, 11:56:00 »
My argument is that I am former serving Soldier,and the fact that While I was residing
in Britain I was in the military. The Recruiters here I taught to become troop leaders!! They are appalled too and I feel 6 months has gone by already and I Know I can get this clearance in weeks. This is not an acceptable time frame.

koach

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2004, 12:58:00 »
To give you a bit of perspective, I am in the process of updating my security clearance.  I have 14 years in the CF and my clearance will take at least 6 months to complete.

Security clearances and preassessments are very in-depth and involve various agencies and governments.  In addition, security officials are probably working on several hundred to maybe even thousands of the these requests at any given point in time.

CFRC‘s know it is frustrating for applicants to wait for something for which you already know the answer.

If you still feel that this is unacceptable or if you feel that you are not being treated fairly, you can either contact your Member of Parlement or the Canadian Forces Ombudsman   http://www.ombudsman.forces.gc.ca/

Offline Bobby147

• Banned
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2004, 10:55:05 »
Hi all,

This question is for all the people who applied for DEO and got selected (or in waiting list)......

I have applied for DEO and going through Security Check (applied last week). My file manager told me today that they will do a initial security check to find any criminal record and check my credit.

Then they will send me a form by mail and I will sign it and send them back.

Was your Enhanced Security Check the same way ????

G3RM

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2004, 11:35:27 »
Honestly I don't see why they need to do a credit check.

I havn't had mine done yet, but from searching in the boards this happens to most people.

Offline Bobby147

• Banned
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2004, 11:41:30 »
CFRC wants to check if you have a loan and you are not making payments.

In my case I have some student loan on me....  I am not sure if it is a negative thing.  ???

Offline hoser

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2004, 12:10:36 »
Yeah exactly, its one way they have of checking your reliability.  If you can't be responsible enough to manage your own finances and be reliable with that, they take it as an indicator of negative reliability.  I believe everybody has to go through this, not just most people.

Bobby147: Yeah, thats exactly how it went.  Fill out the form, then wait a little bit, and if there are any problems they'll get back to you.  I have student loans as well, including one that was rather problematic, but I cleared everything up with the bank, took in evidence of that, and I was told that it was no longer an issue.

Noyon

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2004, 13:48:25 »
I had to get a credit check to get into the reserves, and Im 16. Im not even old enough to get a loan so I'd imagine its everyone not just most people.

Ender57

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2004, 00:24:56 »
The Enhanced Reliability Check is the same no matter if you are applying to be an Officer or an NCO. Once you get to basic though or shortly there after everyone has go though a more in depth background check to determine security clearance. Most officers require secret security clearance. But for now as long as you have no criminal record or out standing loans, you'll be fine. There is the slight chance though that it could take a while for the Reliability check to come back, but hopefully not.

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2004, 12:12:12 »
Since when do officers get Secret clearance?! I only know one or two people with that kind of clearance; one is an Engineer NCO who was doing some HumInt tasking overseas, and the other is an INT NCO. The majority of information that comes through a typical unit will be Protected A or B. Even when I spent time working in a BOR or with medical records, I never saw anything marked beyond Protected B. With the exception of Int Officers and people working in NDHQ and the like, why would Joe 2Lt require a Secret clearance?
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Offline CFN. Orange

• Rate Post
  • Proud to be Canadian ARTE ET MARTE
    • http://www.25service.ca
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2004, 12:15:02 »
People like technicians are given classified clearances at different time depending on what they are working on, especially in regards to schematics etc..
Proud to drink and be Canadian.
True Blue Leafs Fan.
ARTE ET MARTE

R421 Weaps Tech (land)
25 Svc Bn (Toronto)

Offline Casing

• Rate Post
  • Gimme Farnham every day
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2004, 12:25:04 »
Since when do officers get Secret clearance?!

I think that actually quite a few officers end up getting Secret clearance.   Such as MARS people, and CELE/Sigs who work in Leitrim.   I'm sure there are many more.   I know that at my place employment (for the next two months anyway!   ;D) all of the Signals Officers that come here have at least Secret, and a couple have Top Secret.   Indeed, I even have secret because of the equipment we work on.   So I think if I, a civvy, require Secret to work on this stuff, it stands to reason that the officers on the project also have at least Secret.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 12:29:03 by Casing »

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2004, 12:48:28 »
Secret clearance is given to people depending on where they go on tour as well.  My entire pl got secret clearance last year for Op Apollo, just because that is what they decided was the minimum clearance needed.  It's not like anyone really needed it in our Pl but it was what we were given.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Casing

• Rate Post
  • Gimme Farnham every day
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2004, 12:51:50 »
Also, I don't think Secret is such a big deal. It's actually rather easy to get--I have it. It's when you start talking about Top Secret that it becomes a big deal and much more goes into obtaining it.  And there better be a pretty good reason for it.

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2004, 15:45:10 »
I understand that Secret is given out as needed, but it's hardly SOP to give every officer that walks through the door Secret clearance unless there's some reason they need it.
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy