Author Topic: Recruiting Permanent Residents  (Read 170927 times)

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
Re: a foreigner in Army?
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2005, 14:08:42 »
Little hasty kincanucks, you may be a landed imigrant and apply to the Primary Reserves of the Canadian Forces, but you must have Canadian citizenship to join the Regular Force.

Considering he's a recruiting Officer (and THE source for recruiting info on this site) perhaps you are being a little hasty by trying to point out where he is wrong.

Beach Bum is correct, the rules have changed since the security concerns heightened in the post 9/11 environment.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline Frappini

• Rate Post
Do you have to be a Canada Citizen to join the army?
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2005, 11:56:54 »
I use to live in the US, moved out about a month ago to europe. and wanted to join the Canada army.   I've always liked canada over the US just had to live in the US due to family and all. But its all over with and all :) So I wanted to be in canada and also join the army. Just wondering if you got to be a Canadian Citizen to Join? And also is there an age limit?

Thank You, David frappini@yahoo.com

p.s. i also seen that you have to do some tests before you can join and speak french and all. That is not a problem I've been speaking french and english my whole life. So no idea if i would have a problem or not.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Frappini

• Rate Post

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
Re: Do you have to be a Canada Citizen to join the army?
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2005, 14:00:18 »
So that you are not confused by some of the information that is included in the above links.  You must be a Canadian citizen in order to be eligible to apply to the Canadian Forces.
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
Re: Do you have to be a Canada Citizen to join the army?
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2005, 14:07:21 »
Short and sweet, from our Recruiting Guru.
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline NickLawless

• Rate Post
Irish
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2005, 06:22:06 »
Hello,

I am an Irish citizen. Done a spell in the Irish Permanent Defence Forces here including a trip overseas to East Timor. I have always wanted to become part of an army with more oppertunity as a career. Basically, I just want to find out if that is possible. I have checked the websites on the links and have sent e-mails to the proper channels but I just wanted to see if you have any information that can be of any use to me. I am extremely interested and anything I can do to do this I am prepared to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Nick Lawless
Galway
Ireland

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
Re: Irish
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2005, 07:45:22 »
Canadian citizenship would be your first hurdle.

Some similar inquiries and their reultant threads are linked from this thread: http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,33593.0.html

Offline NickLawless

• Rate Post
Re: Irish
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2005, 10:53:33 »
Thank you

Will have a read :)

Cheers

Offline dustynus

• Rate Post
dutch citizen? problem?
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2006, 12:40:38 »
What are the conditions of being a dutch citizen joining the CF?
I am a canadian citizen, but are there any exceptions or something to being a dutch citizen too?
I am planning on applying to go to RMC.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
Re: dutch citizen? problem?
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2006, 13:44:40 »
There will be no problem as long as you have been in Canada since you were 16.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.

Offline dustynus

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2006, 13:52:56 »
ok Thanks  ;D
I'm only in grade 11 now, but planning on applying in september.  8)

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2006, 16:18:37 »
That's got your immediate question answered. For more info, there's lot's over in the Recruiting forum. Try there first. The "Search" function also works pretty good. You've got a while to go yet, before joining, so spend some time checking out the various forums. It might give you an idea of what you want to do. In the meantime....

"Welcome to Army.ca"
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline Dispatch

• Rate Post
American male wanting to join the Canadian army.
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2006, 21:07:45 »
I am a US born citizen. I am US military prior service, honorably discharged. How do I find out about joining the Canadian army? Does enlistment fulfillment entitle me to a Canadian citizenship? ???

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
Re: American male wanting to join the Canadian army.
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2006, 21:22:14 »
You must be a Canadian citzen to join the Canadian Forces.  If you obtain Permanent Resident Status and being ex-service you could try this route but it is not very successful:

Information for Non-Canadian Citizens

Canadian Forces (CF) policy states that in order to be eligible for enrolment into the Forces, applicants must hold Canadian citizenship. The only exception made to this policy is as follows.

Applicants who: are not Canadian citizens, but do hold Permanent Resident Status; and possess specialized skills / qualifications the CF has need of and cannot fill with a Canadian citizen; and do not pose a risk to any national interest; may only be enrolled into the Canadian Forces if permission is granted by the Commander of the Canadian Forces Recruiting Group (CFRG).

Application Procedure for Non-
Canadian Citizens

As you do not currently hold Canadian citizenship, you will have to be granted a Citizenship Waiver by the Commander of CFRG before starting any of the selection testing. In order to do this you must provide a curriculum vitae (CV) or resume to:

Canadian Forces Recruiting Group Headquarters
Attention: SSO Selection
Canadian Forces Base Borden
PO Box 1000, Station Main
Borden, Ontario L0M 1C0

The CV / resume should include:

Personal Information

Name (in full)
Date and place of birth
Brief outline of where you have lived (include dates)
Where your immediate family is currently residing (include parent, siblings, spouse and parents-in-law)
Reasons for your relocation to Canada
Date of arrival in Canada and date, you were granted Permanent Resident Status

Education
Name of all educational institutions attended
Grade / Level completed and year of completion
Diplomas / Degrees awarded
Areas of specialization
Marks / Grade Point Averages
Apprenticeship / Journeyman qualifications

Employment
List all part-time, summer or full-time employment positions you have held
Dates for each position
Brief description of duties for each position
Qualifications or training you received “on-the-job”

Activities

List all volunteer positions you may have held
List all clubs / organizations / community groups you have belonged to
If there are any other points, or pertinent facts you would like to include, please feel free to do so.
Once you have submitted your CV / resume, it will be assessed by the Headquarters to determine what skills you possess that may be of benefit to the CF. Once this assessment has been completed you will be contacted directly and told whether or not a waiver of your citizenship has been granted. You will not undergo any of the selection testing until you have been granted this Citizenship Waiver.

Offline Dispatch

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2006, 21:33:16 »
Upon submission of this wavier you speak of, how long does it usually take to get an answer? Would my physically going to Canada on a passport with all of my pertinent documents help me in the application process?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 21:51:10 by Dispatch »

Offline Infantry_

• Rate Post
  • Infantry
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2006, 21:59:14 »
Correct me if i'm wrong Kincanucks, but yes you have to have Permanent Resident Status which means you have to live here in Canada.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer.
- Major Holdridge

Only the dead have seen the end of war
   -Plato

Offline rhino18

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2006, 23:10:43 »
I too an employed as a recruiter.  With regard to a waiver, I have asked many of my peers if they recall one being granted.  The responce was not that great.  I could find only one.  The skills he had were that of a fully trained F18 pilot. 

So, unfortunatley, it doesn't look good for you.
You can be the smartest guy in the world and try as hard as you can.  But, if you're not fit enough to move out of my cross-hairs I wonder what is going to happen.....

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2006, 23:11:35 »
Upon submission of this wavier you speak of, how long does it usually take to get an answer? Would my physically going to Canada on a passport with all of my pertinent documents help me in the application process?

You have to move here and take up residency that is why it is called Permanent Resident Status.  Once you obtain Permanent Resident Status then you can use the method described above.  What is so hard to understand about that?

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2006, 23:12:43 »
Correct me if i'm wrong Kincanucks, but yes you have to have Permanent Resident Status which means you have to live here in Canada.

You are correct and perhaps our American friend now understands the procedure.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2006, 00:06:36 »
Question answered

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline Insanehuman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Canadian citizenship
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2006, 22:08:37 »
  Hello people. I was wondering why do you need to be a Canadian citizen to join the army? I've tried to conttact the recruiting office but got no reply. On the official website they don't give a particular reason. I'm a permanent resident in Canada and already recieved aproval for citizenship, but i have to wait for 8-12 month until i become Canadian citizen. Ok, any info would be helpfull. Thanks for advance.
Banned twice from this site for my behaviour, and Please do not have multiple accounts.

russianboy

added by the 48th regulator

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Canadian citizenship
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2006, 22:18:14 »
it wasn't always like that
in the 90s, you could get accepted as a landed immigrant if you were becoming an NCO but you had to be a citzen if you intended to become an officer.

sometime around 9/11 increased security procedures were applied and we now ask for citzenship for both OR and Officer applicants.

Must point out that before the changes, it would take forever for non citzen OR applications to get thru their security clearance so, not much in the way of changes I guess...
Chimo!

aesop081

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2006, 22:18:39 »
straight from the DND FAQ page:

A. You must meet the following minimal conditions:
be a Canadian citizen (if you have a permanent resident status, you may still be considered eligible for employment under certain conditions)
be at least 17 years of age (16 for the Reserves and Military College) with parental/quardian consent for minors
have successfully completed Grade 10 (Sec III in Quebec); some entry programs have additional academic prerequisites

Thanks for taking the time to do some reaserch.....looks good on you

Offline Insanehuman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2006, 22:21:07 »
  So security is the main reason right? Do you think if i go and tell them that i'm willing to die for Canada would this change anything? Because i am!
Banned twice from this site for my behaviour, and Please do not have multiple accounts.

russianboy

added by the 48th regulator