Author Topic: With Zeal and Bayonets Only  (Read 541 times)

Online tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
With Zeal and Bayonets Only
« on: July 08, 2017, 12:46:50 »
With Zeal and Bayonets Only by Matthew Spring is my latest read regarding the British Army during the Revolutionary War 1775-1783. I think the American view of the British Army in shows like Sons of Liberty and the Patriot may not give a true picture of how they operated in North America. There was a focus on British brutality,but that occurs in any rebellion. Look at how the British operated in Ireland and there are similarities. My interest in this book is to get another viewpoint. North America was primarily and infantryman's
war then as now its all about boots on the ground. You can the book just by clicking on the image of the book.Very nice. :D

https://www.amazon.com/Zeal-Bayonets-Only-Campaigns-Commanders/dp/0806141522
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:52:52 by tomahawk6 »

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: With Zeal and Bayonets Only
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 13:06:14 »
Without reading it, I can only comment after scanning the reviews. Don't forget the British Army had considerable experience in North America and had adapted to local conditions during the French and Indian Wars. (I have seen a contemporary painting of General Wolfe in a book and he was carrying a rifle.)

Having said that, I agree that the customary image is not accurate. People, even officers, are not that stupid and will adapt very quickly to local conditions. After all, if given the opportunity to shout and wave one's sword in the forward areas, or plan to march in the victory parade, most people will opt for the latter. Again, contrary to popular belief, the British Army in the First World War, had an effective "lessons learned" system and tactics and procedures for all corps evolved very rapidly. There is nothing to suggest they did not do the same in other conflicts through the ages, and I have noted the example of the French and Indian Wars above.

Again, this applies to field operations, not selection of strategy or planning a campaign, or winning hearts and minds.

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 13:12:05 »
I found the other book usually bought together to be more compelling.  Reading what the common soldiers thought and experienced can be much more satisfying for me.  It has very good reviews as well.

https://www.amazon.com/British-Soldiers-American-War-Revolution/dp/1594162042/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1594162042&pd_rd_r=CEESQWR6TP2W8RZYMQHK&pd_rd_w=hhtPx&pd_rd_wg=y9oHj&psc=1&refRID=CEESQWR6TP2W8RZYMQHK

Online tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 13:19:05 »
Thanks I will follow up with that book as well. :D

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 13:23:24 »
Let us know how you like it.

Offline RangerRay

• Rate Post
  • Kloshe Nanitch
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 13:38:12 »
As with any civil war, brutalities were committed by both parties. When the Rebels occupied Loyalist areas, Loyalists were singled out for "special treatment ".  Vice versa when the Loyalists occupied Rebel areas.
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 22:29:56 »
In a similar vein I would highly recommend Mark Urban's "Fusiliers"

It follows the tactical development of the British Army with emphasis on the role that the Howe's, Gage and Cornwallis played in countering the "Prussians" and developing the "American" system, based on a couple of hundred years of experience in Ranger and Marine tactics and creating the foundation for the Rifles.

They had been working on light tactics since before Monongahela in the previous war.

Fusiliers: Eight Years with the Redcoats in America

by Mark Urban, Andras Bereznay (Cartography)

From Lexington Green in 1775 to Yorktown in 1781, one regiment marched thousands of miles and fought a dozen battles to uphold British rule in America: the Royal Welch Fusiliers. With a wealth of previously unused primary accounts, Mark Urban reveals the inner life of the regiment - and, through it, of the British army as a whole - as it fought one of the pivotal campaigns of world history.

With his customary narrative flair Urban describes how British troops adopted new tactics and promoted new leaders, and shows how the foundations were laid for the redcoats' subsequent performance against Napoleon. Fighting in the climactic battles of the Revolution in the American South, the Fusiliers became one of the crack regiments of the army. They never believed themselves to have been defeated.

There is also Christopher Hibbert's Redcoats and Rebels.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline DonPictures

• Rate Post
    • DonPictures Instagam
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 23:02:42 »
Going to see this movie for sure, Christopher Nolan never disappointed 😀