Author Topic: In Praise of Persistence: 5 Things I Learned from a 6 Year Effort  (Read 211 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
In Praise of Persistence: 5 Things I Learned from a 6 Year Effort

“Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.” Thomas Carlyle

After six, long years I’ve recently been credentialed by the International Coach Federation as an Associate Certified Coach. Within the context of the immensely broad, deep, fascinating and complex universe of coaching this is probably the Boston Marathon equivalent of making a New Year’s resolution to start a running program. Nevertheless, I am proud of this achievement, and very grateful to the professionals at Erickson International, as well as my inspiring clients and Berlineaton staff, who have supported me through this six year journey. Yes, I said six years. Like many professional credentialing programs, the ACC requires a commitment to complete a prescribed combination of formal training, practical experience gained through coaching engagements with clients, and a period of mentoring with a Master Certified Coach as well as a final exam. Given a reasonable amount of focus and time, it’s quite possible to complete this process within about a year or so. However, as you will no doubt agree, like most busy professionals with family and other commitments, scheduling the time and committing to the work has been the biggest challenge. On the upside, this experience allowed me to reconnect with one of those ‘oldie but goodie’ leadership values: Persistence. 

Modern management theory seems to trend towards promoting one form of glitzy new fad or another. Extolling the virtues of innovation, emotional intelligence, transformation and boundaryless partnering enabled via social media and other forms of emergent technology we, and by that I mean we management consultants especially, exhort others to eschew the old and embrace the new. Under ‘the old’ we tend to consign traditional leadership virtues such as permanence and perseverance, as well as the somewhat dour ‘stick-to-it-iveness’ or, in other words, Persistence. From my experience with this most recent challenge here are 5 things I learned, warts and all, about Persistence:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/praise-persistence-5-things-i-learned-from-6-year-effort-eaton?trk=v-feed&lipi=urn%3Ali%3Apage%3Ad_flagship3_profile_view_base_recent_activity_details_shares%3Bi1s6ftOq1hpEA2BZmLV2Xg%3D%3D
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon