Author Topic: Paid Education Program or not?  (Read 1942 times)

Offline nyrox

• Rate Post
Paid Education Program or not?
« on: March 11, 2017, 14:12:54 »
So, this may be a stupid question, or a question asked often. I also may have many of you tell me to "just ask your recruiter" and if you're going to comment that, don't bother. You aren't helping me. I'm posting here because I feel like I'll get a quicker response.
I'm still in high school and have been steady contemplating joining up for next year. (Graduating in June) I'm not too up-to-date on these things and think you guys could help me get some quick info.
ANYWAYS my question is, basically: If I were to join the forces not through the paid education program, is there still an option to attend school and have it covered by the Forces in the future during service? Or is it where whatever you choose, you're sticking with it for the rest of your career?

My reason for asking is that the paid education is part of the reason I want to join, but also am unsure of what I want to take in university/college. I want to be in the Forces as soon as possible, but don't want to go to school unsure of what I truly want to take, if that makes any sense. Any attempt at a helpful response is appreciated  [:)

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Paid Education Program or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 14:38:38 »
My reason for asking is that the paid education is part of the reason I want to join, but also am unsure of what I want to take in university/college.

Paid Education
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+paid+education&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=blDEWJuoA8yC8QeEyYGwBw&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+%22paid+education%22&*

is there still an option to attend school and have it covered by the Forces in the future during service?

Education Reimbursement 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=782.150
7 pages.

Subsidized education plan for Non-Commissioned Members 
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+paid+education&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=blDEWJuoA8yC8QeEyYGwBw&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+sep+&*

See also,

NCM to Officer (UTPNCM) Merged Thread 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=82016.450

etc...

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 14:54:29 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline nyrox

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 15:01:25 »
mariomike,
Thanks for the quick reply! Although your links cleared up some lighter questions I had, it doesn't answer the main one I'm concerned with.
To re-word it and maybe make it clearer, If i join through direct entry am I able to take time after, say 2 years, of working to attend school and then have it reimbursed? If this question is answered in one of those links, could you tell me which page? I'm having a hard time finding it if so.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 15:06:23 »
mariomike,
Thanks for the quick reply!

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

If i join through direct entry am I able to take time after, say 2 years, of working to attend school and then have it reimbursed?

Education Reimbursement 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=782.150
7 pages.

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 15:21:35 »
One interesting thing about getting an education, is that one must learn how to do research and understand what they have found.  If everything is handed to them on a silver spoon, they seldom learn, nor remember, the material.

Thanks once again mariomike for doing so much research for others.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline nyrox

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 15:27:17 »
One interesting thing about getting an education, is that one must learn how to do research and understand what they have found.  If everything is handed to them on a silver spoon, they seldom learn, nor remember, the material.
Like I said in my post, if you're not going to try to help, don't reply. This forum section is for us who are uneducated in certain topics to ask for guidance or help from others who have knowledge of it. You don't have to be a dick to people for asking simple questions.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 15:30:09 »
You don't have to be a dick to people for asking simple questions.

Offline kratz

Happy 150th.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 16:38:04 »
Like I said in my post, if you're not going to try to help, don't reply. This forum section is for us who are uneducated in certain topics to ask for guidance or help from others who have knowledge of it. You don't have to be a dick to people for asking simple questions.

On an open forum, you do not have the ability to frame how others will respond to your questions. When you ask strangers for help with a question, you are at the mercy of their time, inclination to reply and the information contain in the answer. 
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 16:59:32 »

Welcome to Army.ca, nyrox.

Please do not attempt to tell DS what the purpose of a forum section that they moderate is. That never goes over well.

This Site is run by serving and former serving Members of the CF. We run it in accordance with the experience and expectations that we have derived from that Service. We expect members to do their homework before asking questions, and for good and valid reasons. Answering questions takes time, and few here have excesses of that precious commodity. We do not mind answering questions, but it gets a trifle irksome responding to the same questions again and again and again. Repetition also clogs up the Site, making searches more onerous and threads longer and more repetitive.

Most information that people seek is already here, and searching has benefits. Aside from developing familiarity with the Site and where information can be found, people frequently find answers to questions that have not even occurred to them at that point.

If something has not already been answered/explained here before, people will happily do their best to provide answers and explanations.

There will be little sympathy, however, for those who are unwilling to spend their own time yet expect others to do so for them.

You'll find the same attitude in the CF as a whole.

That aside, you mentioned "direct entry". "Direct Entry Officer" (DEO) has a specific meaning, but I am not sure that was your question. DEO is a programme for Officer applicants who already have a degree, as opposed to ROTP or CEOTP.

Edited - I finally noticed my formatting error.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 11:55:29 by Loachman »

Offline runormal

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 18:10:28 »
Seeing how it is already March and you haven't applied to school you are not setting yourself up for success.

I'd suggest taking a 5th of year of highschool and go from there, that's what I did and I have no regrets, except not taking French/additional science courses)

You could join the reserves in the process and try out the army, but a timely transfer to the reg-f isn't a guarantee. So if you are thinking of going reg-f in the short term I'm not sure if I'd recommend it. But if you want to go to school you can't find a better job for a student (unless you find something in your field of study).

Option 3 would be to just so the 3-4 year  Reg-F contract and see if you like it. Nothing is making you make a career out of it. Unless you make poor financial choices such as a buying a house or a car that you can't afford or drinking all of your money away.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 18:31:51 »
There are a handful of programs in place for serving CAF members to go back to school full-time.  However, there are no guarantees.  Selection for the limited number of positions available is done on a competitive basis.  As well, there are pre-requisites to be eligible for such in-service selection processes.

TL;DR: Yes, but...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline sailorprivateer

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 19:16:02 »
Why don't you apply the ROTP for the 2017-18, if you won't get selected, you can always go for NCM and hoping for UTPNCM when that eligibility comes? I'm interested in the latter but I've been doing distant education and got a couple of credits already with the money I've earned working in a factory. It's good when you are awarded by the CAF's education reimbursement gimmick but taking a couple of courses $600-$700 each online course from your own pocket, how bad of an investment is that if you really want a degree or diploma? $1500 (including exam fee) for a term or year, it's something you might want to consider giving up until you got awarded by their education reimbursement or UTPNCM - cuz I'm already decided on spending education with my own pocket whether or not I get reimbursed or whatever. But getting reimbursed would be dope tho.  [:p

Best of luck.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 19:21:49 by sailorprivateer »
Recruiting Centre: Hamilton
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Communicator Research Operator
Applied: June 12th, 2016
First Contact: June 15th, 2016
CFAT: July 8th, 2016 [PASSED]
Medical: July 27th, 2016 [PASSED]
Interview: July 27th, 2016 [PASSED]
Merit List: n/a
Position Offered: February 14th, 2017
Enrolment/Swearing-In: March 16, 2017
BMQ: March 27th, 2017

Offline Spectrum

• I'm from the government; I'm here to help you
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 21:01:27 »
You can get reimbursed through an Individual Learning Plan (ILP) easy enough.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 21:12:25 »
More on the above, in case the OP is interested,

All things Individual Learning Plan/ILP (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=27773.25

individualized learning plan 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=122063.0

etc...

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 05:18:35 »
As well NCM STEP is no longer restricted to new entry only...though this is not generally advertised for some reason....? The same rules apply though; benefit of the Service.....
I'd recommend once you are in to see the BPSO or in some cases, some Units/Bases/??? have NCM PD Councillors.
"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 11:07:12 »
I'm on weighing in on ROTP since it was suggested.  The ROTP deadline for ROTP 2017/2018 has already passed, anyone submitting an application for ROTP at this point in time will not be considered until the 2018/2019 campaign begins.

Also nrox, since you're thinking about joining the CAF it would be wise to learn now to decide who you "mouth off" to.  Telling a moderator or directing staff not to be a dick is essentially like telling an instructor or course director in the military the same thing.  Best to learn to bite your tongue now... ;-)

Offline Ryan_T

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 09:28:46 »
Nyrox.. i have read your request and seen the responses. As much as George looks like he was throwing sarcasm at you w/ the wording, he is right.

The other are right as well. I get confused as to where the answers are to my questions as well since i dont search the forum enough.

I am not sure of your age, but i do recommend carefully checking your options and think 'is the CF (with different personalities) where i want to be. They are point blank & blunt in the CF. I was in Borden and experienced it.

So dont take it to heart if you get a response like that.. i have learned as well. On top of that, you cant tell how serious a person is normally through text.
Welcome to Army.ca, nyrox.

Please do not attempt to tell DS what the purpose of a forum section that they moderate is. That never goes over well.

This Site is run by serving and former serving Members of the CF. We run it in accordance with the experience and expectations that we have derived from that Service. We expect members to do their homework before asking questions, and for good and valid reasons. Answering questions takes time, and few here have excesses of that precious commodity. We do not mind answering questions, but it gets a trifle irksome responding to the same questions again and again and again. Repetition also clogs up the Site, making searches more onerous and threads longer and more repetitive.

Most information that people seek is already here, and searching has benefits. Aside from developing familiarity with the Site and where information can be found, people frequently find answers to questions that have not even occurred to them at that point.

If something has not already been answered/explained here before, people will happily do their best to provide answers and explanations.

There will be little sympathy, however, for those who are unwilling to spend their own time yet expect others to do so for them.

You'll find the same attitude in the CF as a whole.

That aside, you mentioned "direct entry". "Direct Entry Officer" (DEO) has a specific meaning, but I am not sure that was your question. DEO is a programme for Officer applicants who already have a degree, as opposed to ROTP or CEOTP.

Edited - I finally noticed my formatting error.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk