Author Topic: 29 Jan 2017: Multiple dead after shooting at Quebec City mosque  (Read 7884 times)

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
Re: Multiple dead after shooting at Quebec City mosque
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 14:33:11 »

You claimed to be a Newfie that moved to Winnipeg, then joined the CF and is now a leading seaman. Not much of a background to talk about rural Quebec.

I don't claim to be an expert in anything quebec, and it wasn't a stab at rural Quebecois in general. I grew up in Labrador West, spent a good part of my later teenage years in Fermont, Sept-Ilses, Baie-Comeau, and a few towns in between.

Fermont absolutely despised English people, especially the community of Labrador West. To the point if you were from there it generally wasn't safe to walk around by yourself (as a teenager).

I had a GF from Fermont for a time who's family were pretty much white supremacists, they were part of a group, but I don't remember the name. I was Naive at one point and put a swastika on my arm when I was with them(something I feel horrible about even to this day), went home, and my brother seen it and proceeded to kick my *** ( I love my brother for that). They hailed from the Rural area outside of Quebec City (as most people who lived in Fremont were Transients who when done working, moved back home.

As I got older I got to see a bit of the drug traffics in the area, which was mostly Quebec biker gangs. They had a lot of parallels with skin heads themselves.

There was a lot of hate there, especially towards Natives.

I won't get into all my details, but I do have that and more first hand experiences with racism, especially in Quebec and Parts of Ontario.

Don't generalize on things you don't know.

So please, I know you went through my posts to get a feel for who I am, but it is not all encompassing, there are things I don't regularly talk about. But please don't assume I don't know about something just because of my posting history on here.

And especially, I implore you (like many others) to stop this constant Quebec bashing every time something comes out of Quebec instead of the Rest of Canada. We are no better than other Canadians, but we are also not worse. This constant Quebec bashing is not only counter-productive, it is also, in its own way "racist" in those who profess it i the ROC, especially when they don't even know what they are talking about.

I don't constantly bash Quebec either, I used my own experiences in quebec to respond to a post about something that happened in Quebec. If something like this happened In Winnipeg, or Newfoundland, or Toronto, or somewhere else I had experience with. I would also relate my personal experience. I personally don't have a hate on with Quebec. I would love to live there except I suck at french. I love the culture, food, and generally the people. So I implore you, to not take it so personally. I don't get up in a tizzy when people bash Newfoundland. And that happens a lot in Canada. Being the Butt end of arguably most of the jokes. I'll end, if I offended you. I apologize, because that wasn't my intention or goal.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 15:05:26 by gryphonv »

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
Re: 29 Jan 2017: Multiple dead after shooting at Quebec City mosque
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 15:23:26 »
http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/quebec-mosque-shooting-suspect-to-appear-in-court-monday-afternoon

The lone suspect in the shooting at the Quebec City mosque Sunday night is believed to be Alexandre Bissonnette, a 27-year-old student at Université Laval who was studying anthropology before switching to political science.

The Sûreté du Québec will not confirm the identity of the suspect, who is expected to be arraigned at the Quebec City courthouse Monday afternoon. Several media reports say Bissonnette is the suspect. 

But according to real-estate records, Bissonnette’s parents own a home on Tracel St. in the Cap-Rouge district of Quebec City where police conducted a search on Monday.

Bissonnette’s father is listed in the sales deed as an investigator. According to Bissonnette’s Facebook page — which has since been taken offline — his grandfather was a decorated war hero.

As for the suspected shooter himself, his Facebook page does not reveal a great deal about his possible motivations.

His musical tastes appear to range from Katy Perry to Megadeth.

The young man, who dressed up as the Grim Reaper for Halloween, also “liked” Donald Trump, French Front National leader Marine Le Pen and Mathieu Bock-Cóté, a Quebec City columnist known for his pro-nationalist and anti-multicultural views.

A refugee welcome group in the capital city, however, said Bissonnette’s name and photograph were already familiar to them. In a post on Facebook, Bienvenu aux réfugiés said they learned “with sadness and anger about the identity of the terrorist Alexandre Bissonnette, unfortunately known by several militants in Quebec City for his viewpoints that were pro-LePen and anti-feminist, as expressed in social media and at Université Laval.”

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 16:10:05 »
A few more updates ...
... with this from Canada's public safety minister:
Today, the Honourable Ralph Goodale, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, released the following statement related to last night’s shooting incident at the Islamic Cultural Centre of Quebec City.

“Our heartfelt sympathies are with the families and friends of those affected by this horrific attack in Quebec City.  We are deeply saddened by the tragic loss of life and our thoughts go out to the community in this difficult time.

I am being briefed regularly on the situation and commend the efforts of the Quebec Integrated National Security Enforcement Team (INSET) for their swift response to this incident. This is the result of the close collaboration of the Quebec Police Management against Terrorism framework, which allows the relevant agencies to work very closely and effectively to keep the public safe.

At this time, the National Terrorism Threat Level for Canada remains at ‘medium’ where it has stood since 2014.

The Government of Canada monitors all potential threats and has robust measures in place to address them. However, Canadians should always be alert to the danger of terrorism and report any suspicious activity to the National Security Tip Line (1-800-420-5805) or by contacting their local police.

Our government stands firm in our commitment to protect this country from terrorists and the fear they hope to cause.  Canada will stay vigilant and united, and continue to safeguard our rights and freedoms.

I’d also like to add that the call for applications under the Security Infrastructure Program was scheduled to close tomorrow. The Department of Public Safety will extend that deadline, so that places of worship, community centres, and educational institutions have a chance to re-examine their security infrastructure – and consider bolstering it.

As the investigation is ongoing, authorities are limited in the information they can provide. More information will be made available when possible.”
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 16:13:57 by milnews.ca »
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 16:51:57 »
And this from the Vatican:
Condolences from the Holy Father for the victims of the terrorist attack on the mosque in Québec, Canada, 30.01.2017

The following is the message of condolences for the victims of the terrorist attack that took place late yesterday evening in a mosque in Québec in Canada, sent by Cardinal Secretary of State Pietro Parolin on behalf of the Holy Father Francis to Cardinal Gérald Cyprien Lacroix, archbishop of Québec.

“Upon learning of the attack in Québec in a prayer room of the Islamic Cultural Centre, claiming numerous victims, His Holiness Pope Francis commends to the mercy of God those who lost their lives, and joins in prayer in the suffering of their loved ones. He expresses his deepest sympathy to the injured and their families, and to all those involved in the relief efforts, asking the Lord to bring them comfort and consolation in their ordeal. The Holy Father once more strongly condemns violence that engenders such suffering, and implores of God the gift of mutual respect and peace. He invokes the comfort of divine blessings upon the families concerned and those affected by this tragedy, and upon all Quebeckers”.
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2017, 18:23:20 »
From the Government of Canada
http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1461849633127

Notice of half-masting

Masting period: From January 30 until further notice

Occasion : In memory of the victims of the attack in the City of Québec on January 29, 2017

Masting location(s): The flags on all federal buildings and establishments in Canada, including the Peace Tower

Additional details:
As per the Rules for Half-masting the National Flag of Canada (section 16)

Now...I deplore this act of murder in a place of worship as a vicious attack on members of our society, but Half Masting the Canadian Flag on ALL Government buildings, including the Peace Tower, seems to be an extreme case of knee jerk Political Correctness. 

It is also interesting to see how quickly the words "terrorist act" came off the tongues of some political and MSM personalities.

[For the Rules as to Half Masting the Canadian Flag, follow the link to Section 16 and you will find all the Sections.]
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 18:37:28 »
From the Government of Canada
http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1461849633127

Now...I deplore this act of murder in a place of worship as a vicious attack on members of our society, but Half Masting the Canadian Flag on ALL Government buildings, including the Peace Tower, seems to be an extreme case of knee jerk Political Correctness. 

It is also interesting to see how quickly the words "terrorist act" came off the tongues of some political and MSM personalities.

[For the Rules as to Half Masting the Canadian Flag, follow the link to Section 16 and you will find all the Sections.]

I agree totally, if a public servant was injured or worse I understand it. Not to diminish things, but half masting for citizens is wrong. Unless it is something much more wide scale.

We didn't do it for random joe blow who killed a family, or whatever.

You are right it is political correctness run a muck, but We do have the SJW PM.

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2017, 19:21:41 »
I agree totally, if a public servant was injured or worse I understand it. Not to diminish things, but half masting for citizens is wrong. Unless it is something much more wide scale.

We didn't do it for random joe blow who killed a family, or whatever.

You are right it is political correctness run a muck, but We do have the SJW PM.

Mass shootings in Canada are exceptionally rare and they are, imo, a national tragedy when they happen:  they are fueled by hatred and fear of the differents which is absolutely not what Canada stands for.  The PM has more than enough justification to Half-Mast the Flags on such a day.  And the law affords him that lee-way. 

I am not sure what we lose by having the Flag half mast....

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2017, 21:07:52 »
I don't know -- what's wrong with using the word "terrorist" here?  Initial report caveats notwithstanding, this could be a crime by someone radicalized by a group, belief or ideology, doing something "in whole or in part for a political, religious or ideological purpose, objective or cause, and in whole or in part with the intention of intimidating the public, or a segment of the public, with regard to its security, including its economic security, or compelling a person, a government or a domestic or an international organization to do or to refrain from doing any act ..."

Meanwhile, the latest:
A French Canadian known for far-right, nationalist views was charged Monday with six counts of first-degree murder and five counts of attempted murder over the shooting rampage at a Quebec City mosque that Canada's prime minister called an act of terrorism against Muslims.

Suspect Alexandre Bissonnette made a brief court appearance and did not enter a plea in the attack that left six people dead during evening prayers Sunday. Wearing a white prisoner jump suit, his hands and feet shackled, he stared down at the floor and fidgeted, but did not speak.

The 27-year-old suspect, who has espoused support for the French far-right party of Marine Le Pen and had liked U.S. President Donald Trump on his Facebook page, was known to those who monitor extremist groups in Quebec, said François Deschamps, an official with a refugee advocacy group. "It's with pain and anger that we learn the identity of terrorist Alexandre Bissonnette, unfortunately known to many activists in Quebec for taking nationalist, pro-Le Pen and anti-feminist positions at Laval University and on social media," Deschamps wrote on the Facebook page of the group, Bienvenues aux Refugiés, or Welcome to Refugees.

An anthropology and political science major at Laval University in Quebec City, Bissonnette had also expressed support on his Facebook profile for "Génération Nationale," a group whose manifesto includes the rejection of "multiculturalism." ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2017, 22:19:28 »
Mass shootings in Canada are exceptionally rare and they are, imo, a national tragedy when they happen: ...

I am not sure what we lose by having the Flag half mast....

I agree that they are a tragedy, I think it lessens the effect of the 'half mast'

La Loche shootings ~ Half mast only in Sask (just as big a national tragedy) (4 dead)

2014 Edmonton killings ~ Only in Edmonton (9 dead)

2014 Moncton shootings ~ Cross country (Service members died, 3)

2014 Calgary stabbing ~ Only Calgary (5 dead)

2011 Claresholm highway massacre ~ No half mast (4 dead)

2006 Richardson family murders ~ No half mast(3 dead)

2006 Dawson College shooting ~ Seems to be only a half mast at the college itself (2 dead)

Full disclaimer here, I may be wrong on some of this, but all the readily available info shows no national half masts for any of these massacres (not all of them are shootings) This list is not an exhaustive list, but what I could find/remember on a short notice.

My point is, this is the first time a cross nation half mast was issued outside of events involving public servants( in recent history, 10 years, I never went back farther), the only real thing different is this has been labeled Terrorism ( I personally think its should be racism not terrorism,  but they are both two sides of the same coin arguably).

So its not what we lose, but what do you set as the the measuring stick for civilian deaths, because if it was done for this, it should of been done before.

I would of been fine if cities outside of Quebec decided to do it on their own accord. It still feels like a move for political points (I hate that I feel that way).

This is a tragedy I agree true and true. The good thing is we can have an open minded debate on this.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 22:29:05 by gryphonv »

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2017, 22:31:13 »
Because it wasn't done in the past prevents us from doing it now?  They are so rare and tragic, I don't see any reason why not.  It doesn't lessen the effect of the Half-Mast, in fact, it reminds people that the flag is a symbol of what we stand for.

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2017, 22:35:20 »
Because it wasn't done in the past prevents us from doing it now?  They are so rare and tragic, I don't see any reason why not.  It doesn't lessen the effect of the Half-Mast, in fact, it reminds people that the flag is a symbol of what we stand for.

Ok fine, when the next one happens (hopefully a long time). And they don't half mast because say it wasn't terrorism, or it was contained between friends/family. Or it didn't involve just one group. Or any other difference. Would you cry foul, or would that be ok?

It sets a new precedence, and if we follow it going forward... Awesome. I just don't see that happening.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2017, 23:05:48 »
White House links Quebec mosque shooting to Trump's travel ban
https://www.google.ca/search?q=Quebec++%22white+House%22&biw=1536&bih=723&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1%2F30%2F2017%2Ccd_max%3A1%2F30%2F2017&tbm=#cr=countryCA&tbs=cdr:1%2Ccd_min:1%2F30%2F2017%2Ccd_max:1%2F30%2F2017%2Cctr:countryCA&q=Quebec++%22White+House%22

I don't know -- what's wrong with using the word "terrorist" here? 

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 07:51:12 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2017, 23:39:09 »
I see no reason to believe this does not fit the definition of terrorism as defined in the Criminal Code. The elements all seem to be there. But hell, what do I know?
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2017, 23:46:31 »
I see no reason to believe this does not fit the definition of terrorism as defined in the Criminal Code. The elements all seem to be there. But hell, what do I know?

In the end, punitive wise, is there really any difference between a 'hate crime' and a terrorist act?

I think they both have the same maximums in the punishment. Terrorism to me feels more as a political word, technically all terrorist acts are hate crimes. 

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2017, 23:54:38 »
There's not much case law on either. I'm not informed enough to say. The criminal code definition of terrorism has legal consequence in a number of other niches of criminal law. In an open and shut case of mass murder I don't know if it will be of any legal significance- but if it applies, it is important to apply it in order to build up that jurisprudence. This POS decided to wipe out a bunch of Muslims, and evidence seems to suggest that he had some xenophobic far right views that I suspect will surprise nobody who pays any attention to Quebec. It appears to have been politically motivated violence, ergo terrorism. It just doesn't play as well because a whole lot of cranky white dudes are used to only applying that to Muslims and find it suddenly really awkward when they're a degree of separation away from this kind of monster.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline FJAG

• Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Wolf Riedel Google+ Page
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2017, 01:39:55 »
2. ...

terrorism offence means

(a) an offence under any of sections 83.02 to 83.04 or 83.18 to 83.23,
(b) an indictable offence under this or any other Act of Parliament committed for the benefit of, at the direction of or in association with a terrorist group,
(c) an indictable offence under this or any other Act of Parliament where the act or omission constituting the offence also constitutes a terrorist activity, or
(d) a conspiracy or an attempt to commit, or being an accessory after the fact in relation to, or any counselling in relation to, an offence referred to in paragraph (a), (b) or (c); (infraction de terrorisme)
terrorist activity has the same meaning as in subsection 83.01(1); (activité terroriste)

terrorist group has the same meaning as in subsection 83.01(1); (groupe terroriste)

ss 83.01 on can be found starting here: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-12.html#h-25 but a key element of the definition of terrorist activity is at 83.01(1)(b) which reads:

terrorist activity means ...

(b) an act or omission, in or outside Canada,
(i) that is committed
(A) in whole or in part for a political, religious or ideological purpose, objective or cause, and
(B) in whole or in part with the intention of intimidating the public, or a segment of the public, with regard to its security, including its economic security, or compelling a person, a government or a domestic or an international organization to do or to refrain from doing any act, whether the public or the person, government or organization is inside or outside Canada, and
(ii) that intentionally
(A) causes death or serious bodily harm to a person by the use of violence,
(B) endangers a person’s life,
(C) causes a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or any segment of the public,
(D) causes substantial property damage, whether to public or private property, if causing such damage is likely to result in the conduct or harm referred to in any of clauses (A) to (C), or
(E) causes serious interference with or serious disruption of an essential service, facility or system, whether public or private, other than as a result of advocacy, protest, dissent or stoppage of work that is not intended to result in the conduct or harm referred to in any of clauses (A) to (C),
and includes a conspiracy, attempt or threat to commit any such act or omission, or being an accessory after the fact or counselling in relation to any such act or omission, but, for greater certainty, does not include an act or omission that is committed during an armed conflict and that, at the time and in the place of its commission, is in accordance with customary international law or conventional international law applicable to the conflict, or the activities undertaken by military forces of a state in the exercise of their official duties, to the extent that those activities are governed by other rules of international law. (activité terroriste)

:cheers:

Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Online jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2017, 06:56:56 »
Sure seems to fit the bill of what is terrorist activity on multiple counts.

:goodpost:

Online Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2017, 07:17:40 »
I know it was cited before that the suspect used a AK47 styled rifle.

Any clear news on if he was a legal firearm owner and what used ?
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2017, 08:07:40 »
And so it begins ... (source:Tin-Foil-Hat:

Source for second attachment.

:facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 08:13:59 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2017, 08:18:02 »
 :-[

Sad, but not surprised. There are always nut jobs who when its clear an extreme example of their political stripe is caught. Will cry conspiracy.

Offline Lightguns

• Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2017, 08:41:34 »
I know it was cited before that the suspect used a AK47 styled rifle.

Any clear news on if he was a legal firearm owner and what used ?

Journale de Montreal had a single sentence that said he was a hunter and a gun owner but there was nothing on his facebook, no gun pics, no hunting pics not even a hunting camp pic.  We will have to wait for more info on that.  It's immaterial though, Quebec has the most draconian gun laws in Canada and it changed nothing.
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Online Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2017, 09:16:30 »
Journale de Montreal had a single sentence that said he was a hunter and a gun owner but there was nothing on his facebook, no gun pics, no hunting pics not even a hunting camp pic.  We will have to wait for more info on that.  It's immaterial though, Quebec has the most draconian gun laws in Canada and it changed nothing.

Agreed.  Just starting to wonder about ramification for legal and law abiding firearms owners.

Stay off CGN if you can, pretty toxic environment right now. 

Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2017, 09:45:54 »
  It's immaterial though, Quebec has the most draconian gun laws in Canada and it changed nothing.

How are Quebec gun laws different than the rest of Canada's?

There were 9 mass shootings in Canada since 2000, resulting in 46 deaths.

In comparison, there were around 330 in 2015 alone in the US.

If guns are difficult to get, it will have a dissuasive effect those prone to commiting a crime.  It will never stop violent crime entirely; there will always be people going the extra mile to get the weapons and shoot people.  But it will, imo, certainly reduce the likelihood of occurrence.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2017, 10:02:45 »
I know that the powers that be have called this act terrorism from the start, and that some in this forum seem to agree after just looking at the definition that FJAG provided. But terrorism, like hate crimes, require a proof of intent that is based upon what goes on inside one's mind. Not always an easy proof. And in fact, one of the biggest problem with terrorism charges is proving that one was trying to further it's  "political, religious" or whatever else's agenda that would be at the source of his action, through terror. Hate crimes are easier because as long as you prove that it is done against a identifiable group on purpose, no "agenda" furthering is required at the base of the action. Then, finally (and this is what the alleged perp is currently charged with), ordinary first degree murder and attempted murder charges are always available. Much easier, no intent other than the intent to kill and pre-planning for it is required.

Let me try to illustrate: A Canadian of the Jewish faith walks into an Evangelical temple and shoots 10 people. Terrorism? Hate crime? Mass murder?

Scenario one: Israel was invaded by a large group of Evangelical christian "liberating" the Holy Lands , Israel population is kept in tight control and the western nations have all refused to help the legitimate government of Israel. Jewish organizations worldwide have promised to bring the fight to the west until they free Israel. Is this now a terrorist act? Maybe, but if the shooter left documents or at the time of his arrest claimed to act on behalf of a free Israel, then you could certainly come to that conclusion. Without such clear statement, it could still be a hate crime.

Scenario two: The shooter fell in love with a girl who is Evangelical Christian but the day before, she had to break up because of her father's absolute edict that she could not date "out of group". The father who did this was at the temple at the time of the shooting. What have we got in this case? I would say just a mass murder.

In the present case, we have, at this time, no specific facts indicating (even if the shooter was known to be inclined towards extreme right groups) that this act was carried out for the purpose of furthering a specific agenda. We have elements that would tend to put into the hate crime category, but even that could be wrong (think of my scenario 2 - and I am not saying it was love, but there may be facts we don't know that would have caused the shooter to wish harm on that place for reasons other than terrorism or hate against an identifiable group). We do have good evidence that he was the shooter in this mass murder, and that is what he has been charged with so far.

I am sure the police is working on investigating the intent of this shooter, and that if it is warranted, he will be further charged with terrorism or hate crime, as the case may be. But in the meantime, while we are all permitted to speculate, we don't have any publicly available evidence to make a definite call one way or the other.

P.S.: I still think the guy should fry, if we still could. Nevertheless, he'll probably not see freedom again until he is so old and sick that it is just mercy to let him go and die in hospital rather than prison.

Offline Lightguns

• Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2017, 10:18:34 »
How are Quebec gun laws different than the rest of Canada's?

- Registry Data is still in use and a new registry is in process.
- Quebec persecutes all statutory firearms offences as criminal offences, no other province or territory does that.
- All Public workers, teachers, gun club members and Medical professionals are required by law (Bill 9) to report to the nearest police any suspicious behavior of anyone known to own a firearm.  Failure to report is a criminal offence.  There is no right of patient-doctor confidentiality if you have a PAL.
- Possession of firearms and ammunition is banned from all public spaces, parks, daycares, schools, government buildings and their parking areas, even if cased and disassembled in an RV or Vehicle. If caught, it is a criminal offence.
- The new registry is tied to your hunting license, so you need to prove you have a registered firearm to get a hunting license. 
- If you own a large number of Prohibs or restricteds, you are twice as likely to be inspected in Quebec as the ROC.  Some larger urban gun owners have reported being inspected yearly. 
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!