Poll

Just curious on how hard the exam is.

Very
1 (7.7%)
Easy
12 (92.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: CFAT Exam  (Read 5970 times)

Offline Taylor092

• Rate Post
CFAT Exam
« on: December 19, 2016, 16:19:13 »
Hey everyone!

I recently stumbled upon this site while looking for some help to prepare for my CFAT. I have it booked for the second week of January but I am stressing a lot. I am not very strong in math and get really nervous taking tests.

Has anyone completed this exam? If so, how did you find it?

:cdn:

Offline Navy Beans

• Rate Post
Re: CFAT Exam
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 16:28:42 »
It's a good test but if you have any concerns about it, there's an app called CFAT trainer that is quite good. I found it was a good way to practice for the real thing.
Recruiting Centre: CFRC Halifax
Trade: Finacial Services -Administrator
Application Date: June 27, 2016
CFAT: July 14, 2016
Interview: August 8, 2016
Medical: August 23, 2016
Background Cleared: November 30, 2016
Position offered: December 15, 2016
Swearing in: December 21, 2016
BMQ: January 16, 2017

Online clownfool

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 16:41:32 »
I would just like to add onto Navy Beans' comment. The real CFAT is more difficult than the questions on that app. The spatial ability questions in particular. Although, the app is still really good practice for the real thing.

Time pressure will probably be your number 1 problem. Make sure you are able to do those questions on that app quickly (<1 min for each question).

Offline airforce101

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 09:20:20 »
hey. you can use one of these books to practice. If you are going NCM I would suggest you practice your best and get good marks. so if you decide to go officer later u don't have to do it again. They go with percentile.
the app navy beans mentioned is a good tool as well.
but try to find the following book in pdf if there is any on internet. it helps you with tips and techniques specially for spatial ability.
Best of luck  and don't stress too much its an easy test once u practice your basics. nothing out of this world.  If u have lumosity  it will help with mental maths under pressure and time limit.
 Let us know.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=asvab+study+guide+2016-2017&sprefix=asvab%2Caps%2C364&crid=1P04HUM1NNOAH
(if the link doesn't work search ASVAB study guide on google or amazon)

Offline raoufhakam

• Rate Post
  • CHIMO
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 21:29:13 »
how hard the exam is? how smart are you?

As far as i know -as far as i understood from the recruiting officer when i was applying-, its not a matter of what "grade" you achieve, its more of meeting your certain trade's minimum requirement, and how you rank overall compared to others applying for same trade(s).
if you think you are "bad" at a certain category, try to improve, take sample tests, do your best. or maybe try to excel on other categories you could "make-up" for it
Recruiting Centre: Halifax
Regular/Reserve: Reserve
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Combat Engineer
Application Date: Jan31 2014
Position offered:Nov10 2016
Sworn in:Nov15 2015
BMQ:Nov18 2016

Offline airforce101

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 16:56:29 »
I wont say its easy and its also not some rocket science. u can give it a few weeks of practicing everyday and refreshing ur maths, English and practice spatial reasoning.
Good luck

Offline PandemicStrange

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 18:35:15 »
I did it when I was 16. They've not let me re-write it since lol. (over 10 years ago)

Offline Eric16

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 19:18:49 »
I did horrible at spatial and the verbal section. I thought it was very hard. However, the math part was extremely easy imo
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 19:22:58 by Eric16 »
Recruiting Centre: HMCS Discovery/New Westminister RC
Regular/ Reserve: Reserve
Trade Choice 1: Naval Combat Information Operator
Trade Choice 2: Boatswain
Trade Choice 3: Naval Communicator
Online Application: July 19th 2016
First Contact: July 21th 2016
FORCE test: July 28th, 2016 (Passed)
CFAT: September 22nd, 2016 (Passed)
Medical: October 21st, 2016 (Passed)
Interview: October 21st, 2016 (Passed)
Position offered: Boatswain
Swearing in: December 6th, 2016
BMQ: July 3 Weeks

Offline Blake C.

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 15:40:27 »
To me there's 3 things you can do to best prepare.

Number 1: Verbal
As you probably know it's all based around finding synonyms for more complex words. My best advice is to review all your "fancy" word trivias you learned through highschool, particularly grades 10 through 12. This was my worst section by far, they pull out some real fancy wordsmithing.

Number 2: Spacial
There is no real way to prepare other than just stay calm, and analyze each problem at the same steady sustainable pace. This whole section is simply a matter of paying attention and looking at each option before deciding. You dont want to look at answer b) and just think "oh thats good!" Then realize later on whatd d) is in fact the right answer but it was very similar to b) per say.

Number 3: Mathematics
To prepare for this review all of your basic grade 10 foundations/precalc math. Relearn if necessary your volume and surface area formulas and all the basics from this year of school. For me this section was the easiest forsure, but I'm a math guy so for others it may be different.

Overall the main rule is ANSWER EVERY QUESTION NO MATTER WHAT. If you leave any questions unanswered that will be an automatic fail even if you got every other question right.

Hope this helped, cheers.

Offline PandemicStrange

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 16:48:14 »
To me there's 3 things you can do to best prepare.

Number 1: Verbal
As you probably know it's all based around finding synonyms for more complex words. My best advice is to review all your "fancy" word trivias you learned through highschool, particularly grades 10 through 12. This was my worst section by far, they pull out some real fancy wordsmithing.

Number 2: Spacial
There is no real way to prepare other than just stay calm, and analyze each problem at the same steady sustainable pace. This whole section is simply a matter of paying attention and looking at each option before deciding. You dont want to look at answer b) and just think "oh thats good!" Then realize later on whatd d) is in fact the right answer but it was very similar to b) per say.

Number 3: Mathematics
To prepare for this review all of your basic grade 10 foundations/precalc math. Relearn if necessary your volume and surface area formulas and all the basics from this year of school. For me this section was the easiest forsure, but I'm a math guy so for others it may be different.

Overall the main rule is ANSWER EVERY QUESTION NO MATTER WHAT. If you leave any questions unanswered that will be an automatic fail even if you got every other question right.

Hope this helped, cheers.

I wrote it when I was 16. over 10 years ago... And it was built this way as well. Don't leave anything unanswered as they're all point based. The test itself is just designed to see how your mind thinks and problem solves.

Offline deskjockey43

• Rate Post
  • Purple People Helper
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 15:52:21 »
I wrote this test in 2014. I actually left one spatial question unanswered and one math question unanswered because I ran out of time in those sections. I qualified for every single Canadian Forces occupation including officer positions. My deciding factor is my eyesight. Conclusion: you will NOT fail just because you did not answer a question. Also, if you read for fun.....the vocabulary section is way easy.
Recruiting Centre: Toronto
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Trade choice 1: HRA - Navy
Re-Apply: October 2, 2016
First Contact: October 7, 2016
CFAT: Passed Nov 2014
Initial Paperwork: Nov 25, 2016
Medical: Jan 17, 2017
Follow-Up Medical: Feb 2, 2017
Interview: Dec 13, 2016
Letter requested: Feb 15, 2017
Letter sent: Feb 22, 2017
Merit Listed: March 16, 2017
Position offered: March 29, 2107
Swearing in: July 5, 2017
BMQ: July 24, 2017

Offline DirtOnMyBoots

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 21:00:30 »
I did it a couple weeks ago. We can't say anything about the content but overall it's not too difficult. It's mostly just looking for what you're strong in. It's less math and more reasoning skills and logic. You shouldn't have any trouble as long as you take a deep breath. I can't speak for elsewhere but I did it at Toronto and they were very understanding. I finished early and started copying out my Service Number for something to do and the guy doing the test came by and started laughing. You really don't have anything to worry about.
Recruting Center: Toronto
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer
Trade Choice: Intelligence
CFAT completed : December, 2016
Application: September, 2016
First Contact: October, 2016
Enrolment Interview: March 27, 2017
Medical: March 8, 2017
Position offered: TBD
Enrollment/swearing in: TBD

Offline Taylor092

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 10:43:16 »
Thanks for all the advice! I am taking my test next week in Toronto.

How long do you ahve to wait before knowing if you passed or not?

Offline Eric16

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 12:10:21 »
Thanks for all the advice! I am taking my test next week in Toronto.

How long do you ahve to wait before knowing if you passed or not?

For me it was right away after taking the exam, a captain told us to go sit in the waiting room and she called us one by one to see the results. It all depends on the number of people taking the exam at the recruiting centre, it can take up to 2-3 hours. However, it can be different for you. Good luck :salute:

Here's a good site to practice, it is a lot harder on the actual exam. Just put in your email and they will send you an email with the password https://cfatready.ca/about-the-courses/canada-forces-aptitude-test-cfat/
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 12:16:59 by Eric16 »
Recruiting Centre: HMCS Discovery/New Westminister RC
Regular/ Reserve: Reserve
Trade Choice 1: Naval Combat Information Operator
Trade Choice 2: Boatswain
Trade Choice 3: Naval Communicator
Online Application: July 19th 2016
First Contact: July 21th 2016
FORCE test: July 28th, 2016 (Passed)
CFAT: September 22nd, 2016 (Passed)
Medical: October 21st, 2016 (Passed)
Interview: October 21st, 2016 (Passed)
Position offered: Boatswain
Swearing in: December 6th, 2016
BMQ: July 3 Weeks

Offline Migmonkey

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 00:08:57 »
Can you use a calculator for the math section?

Offline Didi30

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 07:27:24 »
No!

Offline Nick_S

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 22:41:09 »
Probably a stupid question and I am assuming the answer is no but do they make accommodations for people with learning disabilities?
I have one but its more so i just read slower then most and some times have a harder time with mental math.

Offline Blake C.

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 23:30:40 »
Probably a stupid question and I am assuming the answer is no but do they make accommodations for people with learning disabilities?
I have one but its more so i just read slower then most and some times have a harder time with mental math.
No they treat everyone the same, buddy of mine had the same issue and failed the first time. Not sure if he re-tested or not yet.

Offline Nick_S

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 01:45:37 »
No they treat everyone the same, buddy of mine had the same issue and failed the first time. Not sure if he re-tested or not yet.

Ya I assumed as much. I'm not to worried about it I took the practice test they have online and did well and I'm using the app CFAT Trainer and again scoring well. I don't have a date to take it but i will keep practicing and hopefully do well.

Offline Blake C.

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 19:09:01 »
Ya I assumed as much. I'm not to worried about it I took the practice test they have online and did well and I'm using the app CFAT Trainer and again scoring well. I don't have a date to take it but i will keep practicing and hopefully do well.
Good luck man! Its the start of a very loooonnngg process, my advice is to find yourself a good full-time job in the meantime. It will take close to a year to eventually go off to BMQ. It will be very frustrating at times but don't give up!

Offline ILK0816

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 03:12:00 »

I took the exam pretty recently and my advice is:
1- Definitely take the scores of other online aptitude/IQ tests and the CFAT trainer to be more accurate than their practice exams. I definitely went in with a skewed perspective on what it would be like! I took sciences in university and then did their practice test thinking "this is so easy!" ...That led me to feel pretty confident, but I still found myself dumbfounded in the math section at points.
2- Control the variables - It is hard to practice every concept tested when you don't know what all the concepts are. You do know, however, that there will be the rule of 3, long division, decimal work, shape nets, and vocabulary. Try memorizing common etymological roots of words, looking at different shape nets to better identify 3D shapes quicker, and reviewing key math concepts that you know you'll see. (Which is basically anything in Math 10/20)

I passed (fortunately) but I really should have done more of the above to prepare. It may be common sense, but I hope this helps anyone going into the exam in some way! :)

Offline clmarr

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 15:28:37 »
I think the test itself is not hard. The hardest part was the spatial section (to me, but I think I still managed to do fine). The problem solving part is easy, but I struggled a little bit with the timer. Don't spend more than one minute on a problem, just skip it and go back if you have the time. I managed to answer all of them but that was a close call. Most of the others that wrote the test did not have to finish the problem solving part. Try to solve a problem in less than 1 minute. Also, definitely practice on the CFAT Trainer app.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 15:33:58 by clmarr »
Recruiting Center: Ottawa
Officer/ NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Avionics Systems Tech
Trade Choice 2: Aviation Systems Tech
Trade Choice 3: Aircraft Structure Tech
Online Application: Nov 29, 2016
First Contact: Nov 30, 2016
CFAT: Jan 18, 2017
Lasik surgery: Feb 13, 2017
Reliability Interview:
Pre-Security Interview:
Medical:
Interview:
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Swearing In:
BMQ:

Offline BCstangWA

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 00:07:29 »
I just started studying for the CFAT today, I tried the test it didn't seem that hard but I was in systems engineering at the University of Arziona for a year and a half so math is fine for me, just the time I am worried about, because some you have to manually add and multiply subtract, especially with the ones that are like 1 officer for every 16 commanders or something that equalls to 1000 something you have to manually add them out if you can't think of an equation on the spot.

How was the time for the problem solving? I wanted to try the app for that I heard people talking about but I have a blackberry so I will have to custom load it unless you can get it on PC? I found a good website I started to study from http://www.test-preparation.ca/cfat/cfat-practice/ it has a bunch of practice questions that are all free on the english, spacial ability, and problem solving. A good technique I was going to try was to try to answer all the easy questions on the problem solving first, and the ones that take more time to comeback. But have to practice. How was the timing for everyone on the math part?

Regards

Offline Karona

• Quiet.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2017, 03:29:29 »
The timing for the math portion for me was great.. But I feel I'm strong at math. It's very subjective, everyone has their strengths, it doesn't really make sense to ask such a question, and whatever someone's reply was, it wouldn't be helpful for the test.

What I can say is that if you want to do well, practice, practice, practice. It's not only about knowing your material, but becoming faster and faster at figuring it out. Keep doing different examples until you know and understand problem solving well, you don't want to be sitting there manually adding anything.. Personally what I found was a lot of the answers you don't need to figure out EXACTLY what the answer is, you can take 1 look at the question and estimate it's between 550 and 600, and there'll be only 1 option in that range, if not, calculate a little further, but don't waste your time figuring out calculating if you don't need it.

As for adding manually, there's always a formula, it'd be very helpful to practice recognizing and using them, as well as practice long multiplication and division.

:nod:

But the absolute best tip I can give is, don't stress! Go in there rested, have breakfast, and confident that you'll try your very best.
You'll do great I'm sure
"Do or do not, there is no try."  ~  Y. of Dagobah

Offline Canuck10

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017, 18:00:21 »
I did mine in November. I was very nervous about it, as I've always been terrible at math. However I studied hard for about a month prior to the test and ended up acing it. (Apparently  ;) ) Like Karona said, the CFAT isn't "easy or hard" - it varies for everyone. I can't comment on the spatial ability as that's never been a problem for me and I found it quite easy, but I have some tips for the other sections.

- Like others have said, you don't have to solve the whole problem, just do ENOUGH to be able to narrow down the right answer. It's not high school, the HOW doesn't matter so long as it's done. If the answers are very different, then this becomes even easier to do.

- Time-wise, I found it faster than any other test I'd taken (HS and first year of uni). If you're calm enough and don't get panicked (see below), this won't be a problem. Try and evaluate the problem by seeing if it can be done in your head or by educated guesswork before writing your own formula. If you don't know an answer, leave it and come back to it. But, as others have said, make sure not to leave ANY answer blank.

- According to the CFAT guide I was emailed, when in doubt, your gut instinct is right 60% of the time, so consider going with that if you're stuck. However, there are ways of narrowing it down without doing any math (don't rely on this though). With answer options where 2 are very similar, one of those 2 will most likely be correct. When there are two answers that are completely the opposite, again, one of those 2 will likely be correct as well. (There are 4 options if I remember correctly). There are other examples of similar strategies in the CFAT study guide provided with your application package. Again, do NOT rely on this tactic as a first resort.

- There are all kinds of books and sites and services that'll do a great job of helping you prepare for the math portion - I used Khan Academy and found it very helpful. (Yes it's free and no I'm not being paid to say this). For 4 weeks before the CFAT, I went through everything from the simplest addition to the longest division lessons. Repetition helps immensely: you want to get to the point where an area formula or long division problem comes automatically. 
https://www.khanacademy.org/ 

- For the verbal skills, I think that no matter how large your vocabulary is you may have trouble with one or two. But try and look at the different parts of the word and break it down to its roots.

- This has been said before over and over I know, but the most important thing is to relax. (Easier said than done of course). I always stress and overthink everything, but I knew that anxiety can quickly ruin any test so I treated the issue like any other problem - I researched it. Try deep breathing exercises, and compartmentalizing - focusing on one challenge at a time - and look at things with a positive attitude. Again, being sleep-deprived and anxious and fidgety will sink you faster than anything. I'd been stressing about the CFAT for around 5 years since I decided I wanted to join the CAF but a few weeks of proper studying and relaxation techniques helped immensely.

- Visualization. It sounds new-agey, but all kinds of sports psychologists and the like recommend it. Try and walk yourself through every action on the day of the CFAT, from getting out of bed to sitting down at the computer to answering your last question. If you've already "done" it in your head, it'll be easier to write the test without worrying about the small details of your day.

- Also, don't be the jackass who forgets to turn in your phone. An angry CFRC staff member won't help you stay calm ;)

Aside from that, all I can say is good luck! Stay calm, study hard, and get it done.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 18:16:27 by Canuck10 »

Offline clmarr

• Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 14:11:09 »
The reason why I struggle a bit with time on the problem solving part is because I completed every problem until I got the exact answer. Like the previous poster said, you might go with the closer answer as soon as you have an idea of the result. Then if you have time, go back and solve the rest to make sure you got that right. I still managed to complete every problem that way but I would've saved precious minutes by choosing the answer within a given range rather than the exact one.
Recruiting Center: Ottawa
Officer/ NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Avionics Systems Tech
Trade Choice 2: Aviation Systems Tech
Trade Choice 3: Aircraft Structure Tech
Online Application: Nov 29, 2016
First Contact: Nov 30, 2016
CFAT: Jan 18, 2017
Lasik surgery: Feb 13, 2017
Reliability Interview:
Pre-Security Interview:
Medical:
Interview:
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Swearing In:
BMQ:

Offline BCstangWA

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2017, 23:22:01 »
Hey, I was wonderin for example, if you get stuck on a question and think its taking to much time, are you able to skip a question and come back to it later especially on the math portion?

Thanks

Offline BCstangWA

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 01:32:05 »
I have my test tmro morning, I am nervous, but also really excited to get through it, I studied for the math part the most, the verbal part a bit ago and spacial just a tad. I hope to do well tmro, godbless you guys and hope to see some of you at basic training this summer hopefully if God is with me. Godbless thank y'all for that help it means alot brothas. :cdn:

Offline BCstangWA

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 17:12:26 »
I qualified for all jobs including officer, thanks y'all godbless it's not hard if you study

Offline FinnO25

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2017, 14:04:27 »
I have my CFAT on Tuesday, Still kinda nervous, but also really excited! Any extra studying advice?
Today I do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.

Offline BCstangWA

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2017, 17:19:18 »
Ya bro buy the go to Amazon.ca, 1) search CFAT 2) purchase "pass the CFAT guide", and "practice the CFAT guide" there for Amazon Kindle they are like 2.99 or 5$ each can't remember study those maybe even rebook it for a week or two later to go over those 100%, memorize everything, then study the CFAT Trainer guide in the Google Play store especially the problem solving part, do all the questions and make sure you can do them in 30 min not 45. Do this and I promise you will pass. Godbless

Offline FinnO25

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 13:42:48 »
I am proud to say i passed for all my trades :))))))

Offline YooZerNayme

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 14:37:36 »
Congrats! Any wisdom to impart?

Offline FinnO25

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2017, 15:26:54 »
For sure, Just stay calm, and read all the problems throughly.
Don't overthink the problems.

and go to the bathroom before the test (i cannot stress that enough) :)

Offline YooZerNayme

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2017, 15:30:38 »
I'm sure quite a few people have been to the bathroom during the test  :-[