Author Topic: So I saw this meme and.......  (Read 20091 times)

GR66, suffolkowner, expwor and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline FJAG

• Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
Re: So I saw this meme and.......
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2017, 14:07:49 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-hEKgyeSAg

In the end, William Wallace was hanged, drawn and quartered, so I like this analogy.  ;D

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #101 on: Yesterday at 20:29:51 »
Anyone up for debate?

Well....At the very least, they are not thoroughly and/or well educated.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 20:34:26 by George Wallace »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #102 on: Yesterday at 20:33:15 »
Anyone up for debate?

Well....At the very least, they are not thoroughly and/or well educated.
No image ???
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #103 on: Yesterday at 20:35:54 »
Substituted another image.....For some reason my computer was not copying the image I wanted, instead taking a photo from my timeline...I am trying to find the original..... ???
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #104 on: Yesterday at 20:45:44 »
2nd try....nope.....4th try ......is the charm.....

Offline FJAG

• Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #105 on: Yesterday at 21:01:59 »
George. The flaw in this meme isn't that we're not talking about a response to "free speech" but a response to "hate speech".

Not all "free speech" is created equal. Nor deserving of respect. Demonstrating against fascist hate speech doesn't make you a fascist.

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #106 on: Yesterday at 21:43:24 »
George. The flaw in this meme isn't that we're not talking about a response to "free speech" but a response to "hate speech".

Not all "free speech" is created equal. Nor deserving of respect. Demonstrating against fascist hate speech doesn't make you a fascist.

I like your posts FJAG and also George Wallace's posts but I have to disagree with this as there are hundreds of videos on youtube of antifa pepper spraying and beating innocent bystanders or causing property damage. Berkeley really showed the world the real antifa. If the alt-right is the conservative extremist side then antifa is the extremist left, as well as BLM.

Nazis are on the front pages of media sources but a group who is openly racist and calls for violence against a race of people goes unnoticed..when its the same thing. The fact that Yusra Khogali is still kicking around Toronto BLM says a lot about their agenda..
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #107 on: Yesterday at 21:56:13 »

I do agree with you, if we were talking about our backyard, Canada.  However, in the US, their Constitution protects the Right to Freedom of Speech much more strongly than ours does.  They have not gone as far as we have to define "Hate Speech" into Law .  In the US any faction can freely say whatever they want.  It is when they start outright promotion of violence against others, or actually committing violence against others, that they have crossed that fine line and are subject to the Law.  Neo-Nazis, White Supremacist, Communists, BLM, whomever; can all march in protest peacefully and have freedom of speech, until they become violent.  We don't have to agree with it, but it is "their Right" to do so in the US.
Unlike here, where anyone accused of "Hate Speech" is subject to arrest.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #108 on: Yesterday at 22:19:34 »
.......So we are a little late.

Offline FJAG

• Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #109 on: Yesterday at 22:34:53 »
I like your posts FJAG and also George Wallace's posts but I have to disagree with this as there are hundreds of videos on youtube of antifa pepper spraying and beating innocent bystanders or causing property damage. Berkeley really showed the world the real antifa. If the alt-right is the conservative extremist side then antifa is the extremist left, as well as BLM.

Nazis are on the front pages of media sources but a group who is openly racist and calls for violence against a race of people goes unnoticed..when its the same thing. The fact that Yusra Khogali is still kicking around Toronto BLM says a lot about their agenda..

I get that. I've said in other posts that I don't approve of nor want to be seen as an apologists for Antifa (and definitely not for Yusra Khogali)but this meme is one that is in response to the Charlottesville situation and not Berkeley.

In Charlottesville counterdemonstrators (mostly locals and some Antifa [demonstrating against fascists does not make one an Antifa member]) were demonstrating (at times violently but that's probably a chicken and egg question) against hate speech. That does not make them fascists as the meme implies.

I like a lot of George's stuff too but I've been speaking out quite a bit against folks who are passively failing to condemn the Alt R while (like Trump) suggesting there is equal fault on both sides. I think that's bullsh*t.

The reason I don't see this as an equal fault thing is probably because most of my family fought for Germany in the Second World War. I don't know if any were actually Nazi party members - one didn't talk about that - but my father, one grandfather and a host of uncles (several of whom did not return) were under arms fighting for the Nazis. I've got a fairly good handle on how easy it is for people, who are otherwise decent, to get wrapped up in an ideology that is patently evil if there isn't enough vocal and, if necessary confrontational, opposition to it. Staring white supremacists, fascists and the KKK in the face and telling them to shut their traps isn't fascism, like the meme suggests; it's the right thing to do. We'll probably never know where the violence started--both sides came loaded for bear--but the fact that violence took place doesn't change my view.

If I, as the child of people who fought for the Nazis, can see this then it should be blindingly obvious to everyone whose forefathers landed in Italy and Normandy.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #110 on: Yesterday at 22:51:41 »
If I, as the child of people who fought for the Nazis, can see this then it should be blindingly obvious to everyone whose forefathers landed in Italy and Normandy.

It's always been blindingly obvious to me. My uncle was KIA in France in 1944. ( RCAF )
My wife is Jewish. She has no love for Nazis either. ( White supremacists - alt right or whatever they call themselves. ).
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #111 on: Yesterday at 22:52:21 »
.......So we are a little late.

...except that is inaccurate hyperbole.  The statues are being taken down by constituted authorities and either put in museums, on private property, or in new locations, generally away from courthouses or other government buildings, with information to provide the appropriate context.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline FJAG

• Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #112 on: Yesterday at 23:07:22 »
I do agree with you, if we were talking about our backyard, Canada.  However, in the US, their Constitution protects the Right to Freedom of Speech much more strongly than ours does.  They have not gone as far as we have to define "Hate Speech" into Law .  In the US any faction can freely say whatever they want.  It is when they start outright promotion of violence against others, or actually committing violence against others, that they have crossed that fine line and are subject to the Law.  Neo-Nazis, White Supremacist, Communists, BLM, whomever; can all march in protest peacefully and have freedom of speech, until they become violent.  We don't have to agree with it, but it is "their Right" to do so in the US.
Unlike here, where anyone accused of "Hate Speech" is subject to arrest.

George, I don't think that it matters that it's not Canada.

The First Amendment states that "Congress shall make no law ... abridging freedom of speech ... nor the right of the people peaceably to assemble" It's a limitation on the US government and not the people themselves (including counterdemonstrators). It isn't an absolute right by the way; there are several categories of speech that can be legislatively  restricted.

There is nothing in the US Constitution that says the people have to sit back and let white supremacists, fascists, and the KKK spout their drivel. Counterdemonstrations are an equal exercise of First Amendment rights and, IMHO, in this case occupy the moral high ground.

Neither you nor I have any idea who started the violence (except for the a**hole with the car) but I'm betting on the fact that there were elements on both sides who were itching for it to happen.

Offline RocketRichard

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #113 on: Yesterday at 23:50:13 »
 To quote Seth Rogen:

The idea that Nazis and people who oppose Nazis are somehow equatable is the most batshit f******* crazy crap I've ever f******* heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #114 on: Today at 00:00:54 »
To quote Seth Rogen:

The idea that Nazis and people who oppose Nazis are somehow equatable is the most batshit f******* crazy crap I've ever f******* heard.

Ah yes, Seth Rogen, the Aristotle of our time....
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline RocketRichard

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #115 on: Today at 00:01:41 »
Ha ha

Offline FJAG

• Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #116 on: Today at 00:30:41 »

:rofl:

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #117 on: Today at 05:48:21 »
:rofl:
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter