Author Topic: The end of an era, HMCS Preserver paid off, 21 Oct 2016  (Read 1431 times)

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
The end of an era, HMCS Preserver paid off, 21 Oct 2016
« on: October 21, 2016, 18:52:46 »
My dear sweet friend was paid off today and it really bums me that I was unable to see her last day today.  I spent the majority of my sailing days on her and will miss her.

:salute:  :'(

http://globalnews.ca/news/3017748/hmcs-preserver-reliable-workhorse-retires-from-frontlines-of-history/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/canadian-navy-hmcs-preserver-paying-out-ceremoney-sailors-1.3816297

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: The end of an era, HMCS Preserver paid off, 21 Oct 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 22:19:33 »
Last of the galant ladies.

I feel your pain, Jollyjacktar, as a tanker wanker myself.

There will never be a trio like those ladies again.

For long, dedicated and honourable service, I salute you, Preserver. A nation owes you much more than it will ever know.

:cdn:  :salute:

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Re: The end of an era, HMCS Preserver paid off, 21 Oct 2016
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 05:09:19 »
Next step:  finding someone to take the ship apart ...
The Department of National Defence has a requirement dispose of the former HMCS PRESERVER, a Protecteur-classauxiliary oil replenishment (AOR) ship and the former CFAV QUEST, an Auxiliary General Oceanographic Research (US DoD) / Oceanographic Research Ship (DND), by Ship Breaking. The contractor will be required to prepare the ships for transfer, transfer eachto the Approved Site(s), demilitarize the Controlled Goods, return any museum material, and subsequently Break (dismantle and dispose or recycle) the vessels in an efficient and environmentally responsible manner that is conforming to Canadian Laws andthe terms of the contract ...
More details in Statement of Work (27 page PDF) here.
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter