Author Topic: Pilot vs. Infantry Officer  (Read 21629 times)

Offline PilotBob

• Rate Post
Pilot vs. Infantry Officer
« on: January 30, 2014, 20:33:20 »
So, I've got quite the complicated situation: I am currently a pilot waiting to start my training under the CEOTP AEAD entrance program. This means that I am a commissioned 2 Lt with no degree. I have completed BMOQ and that's it for my military training.

After spending some time at 408 THS on OJT, it seems to me that all pilots do their whole careers is update their qualifications and study for things. Personally, I did the CEOTP program because I'm not a huge fan of school, so the idea of doing what basically looks like school for my career no longer sounds very appealing, and with all the cutbacks, it seems like most pilots are just reaching their yearly minimums for hours. I also realized during BMOQ that I kinda enjoyed the lack of comfort in the field, and I'd never enjoyed anything more than when I got to lead a group of people on a mission. This has got me to thinking about being an infantry officer. I am aware that they also do paperwork, but is it at all the same as what pilots are doing? Is studying and constant re-certifications also part of the job?

What I'd like to know is this:

1. Is a VOT possible in my situation? Considering I don't have a degree under my belt, ROTP or CEOTP would likely be my only options (short of releasing and getting one myself). Is CEOTP an option for infantry officers? I haven't seen anything to say otherwise. If I did make the transfer, would I lose my commission and be demoted to an O.Cdt again until I got my degree?

2. If someone could manage a guess, how much more physical/hands on would infantry officer be than a pilot while in garrison? How often do you go to the field? I know some administrative stuff is actually helping your platoon in a pretty upfront way with their financial, family or legal problems. How much does that happen? And how much more time would a pilot be away from home than combat arms?

I understand that these are hard things to give generic answers to, but any help would be really appreciated.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: Pilot vs. Infantry Officer
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 20:40:46 »
......... Personally, I did the CEOTP program because I'm not a huge fan of school, so the idea of doing what basically looks like school for my career no longer sounds very appealing,

You want to hear the bad news?  You're going to get it anyway.  In the CAF, officers and NCMs both spend a lot of time on courses, in class, studying.  There is no escaping it. 
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline PilotBob

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 17:10:26 »
I'm aware of that, but obviously some trades have more of that than others, and it seems as though pilots get a whole lot of that kind of stuff. I'm asking if someone can compare that to infantry officers. I don't mind learning things, I'm not a tard, but what pilots do seems particularly school-ish, and I'm sure it's not like that in every trade.

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 19:40:18 »
Two points from me:

First, an infantry officer that is actually in an infantry battalion does usually get to spend significant time in the field doing the job with the troops. But by the last estimate I saw, only about 25% of the infantry officer MOSID were actually posted on strength of one of the nine battalions. The other 75% of infantry officers were busy being staff officers, instructing, and administrating. So by a very rough order of magnitude, an infantry officer can expect to spend three quarters of his career doing something other than being in an infantry battalion. Being the G5 of a brigade can be very satisfying work -- but it's not the same experience as being a platoon commander.

Second, except for Pilots, no one is really looking for CEOTP right now. Overall officer enrolment is down, retention is up, and the various occupation managers are waking up to the fact that all these CEOTP officers floating around the system don't have degrees, aren't promotable to Major, and that the plan to have them do night school courses out of their rucksacks in Kabul and Wainwright was probably a really stupid idea. The SIP forecast for CEOTP hires in the future is very, very grim. I think that some MOSIDs might be closed to CEOTP hire for quite a while -- maybe a decade.

Offline PilotBob

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 22:45:01 »
Thanks, that's helpful information. What kind of instructing are you talking about? Do you mean different courses? Would that not be very similar to field work? What about after you do a tour away from a battalion and potentially come back as a Captain or Major, what type of role would you play? You would still deploy to the field, no? Would you still take part in exercises etc?

I'm kinda aware that CEOTP isn't the greatest entry option, so I'm also open to ROTP.

Any more information anyone can throw out there for me would be amazing. I know its a somewhat unique situation, but if anyone has gone through something similar I would love to hear what happened.

Thanks.

Offline PilotBob

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 22:52:09 »
I just found this on another topic:

BTL Officers – after BMOQ. May apply at any time after completion of BMOQ and prior to completion of occupation training. May only request from the monthly reassignment list and may be limited out of understrength occupations;

What is the monthly reassignment list, and where could I find this? I'm assuming the fact that I don't have my degree would further complicate this, but it's worth looking into. Can anyone expand on this?

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 12:33:41 »
For that you will have to talk to a BPSO/PSO staff.  It is not published on the DIN anymore.

The good thing is while you are there, you can talk to them for official CAF answers on this as they are the SMEs. 

Just to add, the 'idea' of an Infantry Officer might seem cool and all, but just be aware that your experience(s) in Farhnam don't necessarily line up with the real life of an Infantry platoon leader, etc.

Despite your end choice, my last :2c: is that either path will require a lot of hard work.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:39:27 by Eye In The Sky »
The only time you have too much gas is when you're on fire.

Offline PilotBob

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 20:13:30 »

Thanks. I set up an appointment with them.

Just to add, the 'idea' of an Infantry Officer might seem cool and all, but just be aware that your experience(s) in Farhnam don't necessarily line up with the real life of an Infantry platoon leader, etc.

This is one of those things where I know it's not the same, I just don't know exactly how it is different. Do you think there is any possibility I could shadow one for a day or two? I'm at CFB Edmonton. Any ideas if that is worth sending up my CoC?

Thanks for the tips.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 20:33:19 »
Okay, now for the bad news.

As a CEOTP-AEAD Pilot person (with no undergrad Degree), your options are few and CEOTP is not one.   Instances of academic/training failures were not thoroughly considered when this specific program was introduced and there are NO options available for reassignment to another Officer occupation.  So it's sort of "In for a penny, in for a pound."

You are venturing into "uncharted" waters, so don't be surpirsed if even your local PSO can't give you answers.

At the end of the day, you will either have to revert to an NCM occupation or if you wish to pursue a career as an Officer, possibly release and re-apply after 12 months.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline s2184

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 20:49:37 »
I am surprised by your insights. :facepalm: While thousands desperate to get into the pilot position, you just want to throw it away & switch it to something else.

If I were you, I would just suck it up the hardship & continue to stay in the pilot training. I know it is easier to say than being in the actual situation to face it, but that should explain the right mind set - Fight for Survival. Remember you are not just an ordinary person. You are someone especial.  ;D

If you just look for comfort why you joined in CF as a pilot at the first place?

As what George said, you never escape from studying. Doesn't matter if you are in CF or not, you cannot be successful in your career unless you continuously learn.

I always tell my nieces & nephews, look for ways to enjoy the experience of studying. If you find ways to enjoy your learning experience,  you can lift up yourself above and beyond your limitations.

Good wishes on your on  your endeavours anyway.  ;)
Courage is not the absence of fear, but the mastery of it.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 00:10:47 »
I'm aware of that, but obviously some trades have more of that than others, and it seems as though pilots get a whole lot of that kind of stuff. I'm asking if someone can compare that to infantry officers. I don't mind learning things, I'm not a tard, but what pilots do seems particularly school-ish, and I'm sure it's not like that in every trade.

Soooooo .... let me get this straight:

You are smart enough to be a pilot, potentially anyways

You think you might like the infantry because they generally treat us like cannon fodder (the original definition of Infantry) and your body will only hold out until you're about 40, after which if you are lucky you will develop a long and close relationship with various sections of the medical system

Oh, so I guess you're not smart enough to be a pilot  ;D

Smarten up:
1) Be a pilot
2) Take up mountaineering/backcountry travel as a hobby

"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline PilotBob

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 02:20:20 »
As a CEOTP-AEAD Pilot person (with no undergrad Degree), your options are few and CEOTP is not one.   Instances of academic/training failures were not thoroughly considered when this specific program was introduced and there are NO options available for reassignment to another Officer occupation.  So it's sort of "In for a penny, in for a pound."

At the end of the day, you will either have to revert to an NCM occupation or if you wish to pursue a career as an Officer, possibly release and re-apply after 12 months.

Where are you getting That information? I know someone from the CEOTP - AEAD program who failed phase 1 flight training and other officer occupations were available to him, he just didn't take them.

Here (http://admfincs.mil.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/010-01_e.asp) I read that an untrained officer without a degree may only enter a CEOTP program. (I'm not on DWAN right now, so I can't quote the exact text). That should include my entry program, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are venturing into "uncharted" waters, so don't be surpirsed if even your local PSO can't give you answers.

You're right on that point. I'm hoping that someone knows something. The recruitment centre was a nightmare for this program because no one knew anything.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 06:14:03 »
Soooooo .... let me get this straight:

You are smart enough to be a pilot, potentially anyways

You think you might like the infantry because they generally treat us like cannon fodder (the original definition of Infantry) and your body will only hold out until you're about 40, after which if you are lucky you will develop a long and close relationship with various sections of the medical system

Oh, so I guess you're not smart enough to be a pilot  ;D

Smarten up:
1) Be a pilot
2) Take up mountaineering/backcountry travel as a hobby

I'm echoing Daftandbarmy here.   Shadow an Inf O if you want (the extra experience can't hurt), but I'd think very long and hard before signing that VOT or whatever it is. 

Just a thought:  How many Pilots have broken bodies at age 40?  Livers, maybe....  ;)
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 08:11:21 »
Where are you getting That information? I know someone from the CEOTP - AEAD program who failed phase 1 flight training and other officer occupations were available to him, he just didn't take them.

Here (http://admfincs.mil.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/010-01_e.asp) I read that an untrained officer without a degree may only enter a CEOTP program. (I'm not on DWAN right now, so I can't quote the exact text). That should include my entry program, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right on that point. I'm hoping that someone knows something. The recruitment centre was a nightmare for this program because no one knew anything.

Inorder to be offered a VOR to another Officer Occupation, you must meet the same academic standards as that of a "DEO Officer" applicant, which is basically "possess a suitable undergrad degree", which you don't have.  The only other possible option would be to transfer to another Officer Occupation under CEOTP, the ONLY CEOTP Occupation available is "CEOTP-AEAD Pilot".   The RCAF eliminated "all" CEOTP Officer Intake programs, except for AEAD back in Apr 13.  Like I said, CEOTP-AEAD Pilot is a relatively new program and has it's growing pains, one of which was the after thought of "What do we do, if someone doesn't meet the training standards?"   

Once your back on DWAN, have a look at AFO 5007-9 <-----specific to the RCAF) which amplifies DAOD 5002-6.

Offline PilotBob

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 12:22:14 »
I read through AFO 5007-9, but I don't see your proof there. DAOD 5002-9 states "An applicant to the CEOTP may be a Regular Force officer transferring from another officer enrolment plan". The AFO you referenced is only reffering to the RCAF. I am aware that CEOTP is rare these days, but I haven't heard that it has become eliminated comepletely.

Where did you read this?
Inorder to be offered a VOR to another Officer Occupation, you must meet the same academic standards as that of a "DEO Officer" applicant, which is basically "possess a suitable undergrad degree"

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 12:46:54 »
I read through AFO 5007-9, but I don't see your proof there. DAOD 5002-9 states "An applicant to the CEOTP may be a Regular Force officer transferring from another officer enrolment plan". The AFO you referenced is only reffering to the RCAF. I am aware that CEOTP is rare these days, but I haven't heard that it has become eliminated comepletely.

Where did you read this?

On the DWAN, search for the DGMP Website, specifically DPGR.  Under Selection Aides, it will list all the MOS ID Entry Standards.  You can see for yourself.....

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 13:18:55 »
I am aware that CEOTP is rare these days, but I haven't heard that it has become eliminated comepletely.

Based on the Strat Intake Plan, for CEOTP this FY (14/15) there are 48 positions. 42 of them are pilot, 6 are infantry. That's it. No other MOSIDs are forecasting any CEOTP hires.

Next year, it's pretty much the same. 42 pilots, 6 infantry. Also 2 nurses, 2 physios and 2 social workers. (The medical MOSIDs seem strange to see on the CEOTP list -- they may be looking for PAs or Nurse Practioners with experience but no degrees.)

6 Infantry positions a year is not a lot of spots -- especially since there are none for Arty, Armd, Eng -- I would expect those six positions to be enormously competitive.

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 13:55:18 »

Where did you read this?

CEOTP only becomes available, when regular enrolments and internal transfer programs (OVOT/CT, etc) fail to meet manning targets, resulting in the potential for a critical manning shortfall for an occupation.  I think the last time I saw an announcement for the CEOTP program was 2011.  Since that time, the CF has not seen the need to use it.  So maybe bad on my part and I should have probably said "The RCAF eliminated the "need" for CEOTP Officer Intake programs, except for AEAD-Pilot" back in Apr 13.  Today, most officers possess an undergrad degree (or higher) and those who don't, normally pursue one on their own time or through the IBDP.

I'm not trying to "prove" anything to you, just providing fair warning and advice of what "might" occur.  At the end of the day, I am sure your local PSO will be able to expand much more on options which will be available to you.  They squirrel away their information, so who knows?  Maybe there just might be a spot or two via CEOTP that is not advertised, for which you could slip into.

Good luck!

Offline PilotBob

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 18:01:26 »
I'm not trying to "prove" anything to you, just providing fair warning and advice of what "might" occur.

Sorry, I just meant that I didn't understand where that was said in AFO. I wasn't trying to get after you. Bad communication on my part.

Based on the Strat Intake Plan, for CEOTP this FY (14/15) there are 48 positions. 42 of them are pilot, 6 are infantry. That's it. No other MOSIDs are forecasting any CEOTP hires.

Next year, it's pretty much the same. 42 pilots, 6 infantry. Also 2 nurses, 2 physios and 2 social workers. (The medical MOSIDs seem strange to see on the CEOTP list -- they may be looking for PAs or Nurse Practioners with experience but no degrees.)

6 Infantry positions a year is not a lot of spots -- especially since there are none for Arty, Armd, Eng -- I would expect those six positions to be enormously competitive.

Where did you get this info? Is that referring to people joining the CF, or would that also apply to internal Occupational Transfers?

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 18:13:05 »

Nurse Practicioners are RNs with extended practice, so they couldn't be CEOTP.  A Bachelor's degree is now required to be an RN; CEOTP might be for RPNs or, possibly, grandfathered RNs without degrees.

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 18:15:48 »

Where did you get this info? Is that referring to people joining the CF, or would that also apply to internal Occupational Transfers?

The SIP.  In the DWAN search engine, search for "Basic Production Documents" and you'll see a few links.
The only time you have too much gas is when you're on fire.

Offline MAJONES

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 21:08:06 »
For the OP;  If you want to lead people there are opportunities as a pilot.  You just have to be on the look out for them and do a bit of work to seize them.

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 22:30:50 »

Is that Strategic Intake Plan available to view? It's odd you mention that because we just had our annual Career Manager brief yesterday and they indicated that CEOTP for the Infantry is nixed. The Infantry Corps is well above the Preferred Manning Limit for Captains, that's not including all the Lts and 2Lts that are currently in Battalions. Given that the CEOTP is a "holy s**t we need people now" type of entry program, doesn't make sense to have any openings for it.
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 08:33:49 »
Is that Strategic Intake Plan available to view? It's odd you mention that because we just had our annual Career Manager brief yesterday and they indicated that CEOTP for the Infantry is nixed. The Infantry Corps is well above the Preferred Manning Limit for Captains, that's not including all the Lts and 2Lts that are currently in Battalions. Given that the CEOTP is a "holy s**t we need people now" type of entry program, doesn't make sense to have any openings for it.

The SIP for out-years (the future) is visible here (DWAN-only):  http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgmp/dpgr/engraph/reports/description_e.asp?sec=2&report=bpd

I can't speak to what the Infantry Corps actually will do in the future -- but there are numbers on the SIP for Infantry CEOTP (both internal and external) -- maybe the plan is going to be altered, based on what the career manager said. Or perhaps those spots are intended to be used for re-enrollees or skilled CT from the reserves (when the member doesn't have a degree and therefore isn't eligible for DEO).

But I am always happy to see conversation about CEOTP going on. What was once OCTP manages to keep on surviving, despite all attempts to kill it off!

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 09:18:44 »
The SIP for out-years (the future) is visible here (DWAN-only):  http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgmp/dpgr/engraph/reports/description_e.asp?sec=2&report=bpd

I can't speak to what the Infantry Corps actually will do in the future -- but there are numbers on the SIP for Infantry CEOTP (both internal and external) -- maybe the plan is going to be altered, based on what the career manager said. Or perhaps those spots are intended to be used for re-enrollees or skilled CT from the reserves (when the member doesn't have a degree and therefore isn't eligible for DEO).

But I am always happy to see conversation about CEOTP going on. What was once OCTP manages to keep on surviving, despite all attempts to kill it off!

Just a reminder, the "SIP Out-Years" is a forecasting tool only.  If you look at the 'SIP FY 13-14", you will see that there are NO CEOTP posns available, with the exception of Pilot.

Offline PilotBob

• Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 15:44:28 »
Haha. For the "out years" for FY 14/15 Infantry Officer has 1 predicted opening for internal CEOTP. We'll see how this goes I guess.

Offline dakotachristensen

• Rate Post
Pilot vs. Infantry Officer
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 11:40:13 »
Hi there,

A little about me: I'm a highschool graduate, with my heart set upon a career with the Canadian Forces. I'm extremely physically fit, bright, ambitious and dedicated. I'm a fast learner, with a good level head on my shoulders and a love for a good physical and mental challenge.

I'm currently applying to the ROTP and hoping to attend at RMC next Fall. I've been pre-selected, written and aced the CFAT, and am now waiting to hear back from the recruiting centre about dates for next steps. After boundless hours of research and deliberation, I'm still having trouble deciding upon my chosen career path, with my final deliberation being between pilot (specifically rotary) and infantry officer. I also have a definite interest/ambition of working towards joining CANSOFCOM (CSOR, JTF2, etc.)

Is there anyone out there who might be able to offer me a little guidance, and shed some additional light on the key distinctions between these two career paths, their inherent lifestyles, pros/cons of each, etc. and help me better make the decision between the two?

Much thanks.

P.S. The other post here on army.ca with the same topic headline of "Pilot vs. Infantry Officer" doesn't quite have the same answers/information that I'm looking for
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 15:31:25 by dakotachristensen »

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2017, 12:00:06 »
Is there anyone out there who might be able to offer me a little guidance, and shed some additional light on the key distinctions between these two career paths, their inherent lifestyles, pros/cons of each, etc. and help me better make the decision between the two?

The "So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=12744.0
55 pages.

Infantry Officer
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22infantry+officer%22&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=mi9RWZCcENGR8QfMn6rYAg&gws_rd=ssl#spf=1498492827469

I also have a definite interest/ambition of working towards joining CANSOFCOM (CSOR, JTF2, etc.)

CANSOFCOM
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22infantry+officer%22&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=mi9RWZCcENGR8QfMn6rYAg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+cansofcom&spf=1498492827472

CSOR
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22infantry+officer%22&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=mi9RWZCcENGR8QfMn6rYAg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+csor&spf=1498492827474

JTF2
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22infantry+officer%22&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=mi9RWZCcENGR8QfMn6rYAg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+jtf2&spf=1498492827476
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 12:10:15 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 12:27:10 »
One flies a bunch, and sometimes carries the other in the back of his machine.

One walks and runs a bunch, and sometimes rides in the back of the other's machine.

But seriously, please take the time and explore this Site and read the pertinent older threads herein - there's a ton of valuable information available to you already.

There is no need to re-state what has been written before; it only wastes others' valuable time, adds clutter which makes it more challenging for people to search through, and deprives you of the opportunity to learn as you go.

Apply for both. Undergo the selection processes - you may or may not qualify for both. Should you pass Aircrew Selection and proceed onto flying training, you will experience, among other things, a phenomenal amount of homework. You may as well start to get used to that early.

Along the way, you will stumble across answers to questions that have not even occurred to you yet.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2017, 10:23:05 »
Hi there,

A little about me: I'm a highschool graduate, with my heart set upon a career with the Canadian Forces. I'm extremely physically fit, bright, ambitious and dedicated. I'm a fast learner, with a good level head on my shoulders and a love for a good physical and mental challenge.

I'm currently applying to the ROTP and hoping to attend at RMC next Fall. I've been pre-selected, written and aced the CFAT, and am now waiting to hear back from the recruiting centre about dates for next steps. After boundless hours of research and deliberation, I'm still having trouble deciding upon my chosen career path, with my final deliberation being between pilot (specifically rotary) and infantry officer. I also have a definite interest/ambition of working towards joining CANSOFCOM (CSOR, JTF2, etc.)

Much thanks.

P.S. The other post here on army.ca with the same topic headline of "Pilot vs. Infantry Officer" doesn't quite have the same answers/information that I'm looking for

You could always just do what lots of others have in the past: try for pilot then, when you fail out, go Infantry and make a real difference (cringing now, waiting for incoming :))
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Pre-flight

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2017, 11:29:32 »
One flies a bunch, and sometimes carries the other in the back of his machine.

One walks and runs a bunch, and sometimes rides in the back of the other's machine.

But seriously, please take the time and explore this Site and read the pertinent older threads herein - there's a ton of valuable information available to you already.

There is no need to re-state what has been written before; it only wastes others' valuable time, adds clutter which makes it more challenging for people to search through, and deprives you of the opportunity to learn as you go.

Apply for both. Undergo the selection processes - you may or may not qualify for both. Should you pass Aircrew Selection and proceed onto flying training, you will experience, among other things, a phenomenal amount of homework. You may as well start to get used to that early.

Along the way, you will stumble across answers to questions that have not even occurred to you yet.

I'd go with this.

Put Pilot down as #1, Inf O as #2. You'll have to go to the Aircrew Selection during the application process (aptitude and the most in-depth assessment medical you'll ever get), and the pass rate is about 30%, so if you don't make the cut you can go Infantry Officer where after university you'll do your Infantry Officer courses and also face a low pass rate (believe it or not, Infantry Officer is not an easy job and the training is quite demanding both mentally and physically)

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2017, 12:13:48 »
We were told, during my early flying training, that one out of every eight hundred applicants receives his (and now her, too) Wings.

That number has not likely changed.

It is more than worth pursuing, and more than worth the effort.

Offline Ayrsayle

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2017, 14:40:39 »
I'd go with this.

Put Pilot down as #1, Inf O as #2. You'll have to go to the Aircrew Selection during the application process (aptitude and the most in-depth assessment medical you'll ever get), and the pass rate is about 30%, so if you don't make the cut you can go Infantry Officer where after university you'll do your Infantry Officer courses and also face a low pass rate (believe it or not, Infantry Officer is not an easy job and the training is quite demanding both mentally and physically)

For clarity, the pass rate for DP 1.1 (Commonly known as Phase 3, or Dismounted Platoon Commander Course) usually hovers around a 50% failure rate, though I've been told it has gotten a little better since I attended.  It remains a very demanding course.  Failure rates for the other courses required to become qualified are not as high, but none of the courses are "easy".

Best guess (and I don't have the hard numbers for it) - I'd say about 1:3 to 1:4 make it through all aspects of training to become fully qualified (from Enrollment to qualified that is).

As far as your interest in CANSOFCOM, it entirely depends on what kind of role you want to do with that Organization (IE, Pilot?  Assaulter? other?).  CANSOFCOM encompasses a number of organizations and each of them have their own requirements for manning.  I'd focus more on completing the initial training process and getting qualified for the CAF however. 

Good luck!
Leadership is understanding people and involving them to help you do a job. That takes all of the good characteristics, like integrity, dedication of purpose, selflessness, knowledge, skill, implacability, as well as determination not to accept failure. ~Admiral Arleigh A. Burke

"It takes 10 minutes to dress like an Infantryman, but it takes a few years to become a good one" - Jungle (Army.ca)

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2017, 17:58:02 »
Best guess (and I don't have the hard numbers for it) - I'd say about 1:3 to 1:4 make it through all aspects of training to become fully qualified (from Enrollment to qualified that is).

I've heard 1 out of 13 which I thought was pretty realistic. This brings up a good sidebar though... do our HR people track this stuff? I'd love to see the numbers. You'd think they would have to have a pretty good idea.... or maybe they don't and that's why we always seem to be massively under or massively over PMLs.
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 10:37:27 »
Pilot down as #1
Inf O as #2

Please note that contrary to popular belief this does not mean that Pilot is your #1 pick and InfO is your #2 pick (i.e. you want to be processed for Pilot BEFORE InfO). 

If the CAF needs InfO and you have put InfO down, you will be processed for InfO.  There are cases where the occupations that people list as #2 or #3 are what they receive offers for.  If you want to be processed for Pilot and REALLY only want pilot, leave Pilot as your only selection.  If you then fail the selection process, there is a reorientation process that occurs and that is when you would state that you're interested in InfO.

Offline Pre-flight

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2017, 10:59:18 »
Please note that contrary to popular belief this does not mean that Pilot is your #1 pick and InfO is your #2 pick (i.e. you want to be processed for Pilot BEFORE InfO). 

If the CAF needs InfO and you have put InfO down, you will be processed for InfO.  There are cases where the occupations that people list as #2 or #3 are what they receive offers for.  If you want to be processed for Pilot and REALLY only want pilot, leave Pilot as your only selection.  If you then fail the selection process, there is a reorientation process that occurs and that is when you would state that you're interested in InfO.

Based on my experience going through this process, and having worked in recuriting, this is bad advice.

Typically you apply under different entry plans. The occupations within the plan generally all report the same time, so if you are accepted for your #1 choice, it will be given to you first in most cases. Either way, offers are usually open for 21 days, so it's unlikely that you'll be in a position where you have to accept the #2 choice with the #1 not having already ruled you out.

Secondly, if you go through the pilot recruitng i means you have to go through the Air Crew Medical (toronto) and Air Crew Selection courses (trenton) prior to offers being issued. I can guarentee you, if you make it through selection course and the medical, and the pilot selection board chooses you, there's no chance that someone in recuiting goes "no, we're going to make him Infantry Officer".

Finally if you didn't get selected for Pilot but didn't put Inf Officer as a preference, don't expect to be given another trade. Expect that no to your only choice means try again next year.

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2017, 11:49:18 »
Just a follow up, the timing it takes for someone to make it through Air Crew Medical/Selection, an offer for Infantry Officer could already be made.

While the system is set up as "choice #1", "choice #2", "choice #3"; the realistic way to look at it is "choice #1", "choice #1", "choice #1".  I've seen plenty of times where people have picked either Pilot, Military Police, or Military Police Officer - all of which require extra testing - as their #1 pick; and another occupation as their #2 pick be given their #2 pick as an offer. 

Finally if you didn't get selected for Pilot but didn't put Inf Officer as a preference, don't expect to be given another trade. Expect that no to your only choice means try again next year.
Please do not give this advise out.  As someone currently working in the Recruiting system I can tell you that the current process when someone does not qualify for their selected occupation is reorientation and the choice to select a new occupation.  In no way do we force people to wait until the new Fiscal Year to select a new occupation.

Offline TheHaddadz

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2017, 02:01:01 »
I'm confused on something, how is it possible to apply for Pilot as #1 choice and Infantry Officer as #2? When applying online, Pilot is only given to those choosing RCAF and infantry to those who chose Army. Is this something you let the recruiter know before sending application? Please correct me if I am wrong, thanks

Online Pickle Rick

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2017, 09:52:12 »
I'm confused on something, how is it possible to apply for Pilot as #1 choice and Infantry Officer as #2? When applying online, Pilot is only given to those choosing RCAF and infantry to those who chose Army. Is this something you let the recruiter know before sending application? Please correct me if I am wrong, thanks

Because everything is integrated in the Canadian Armed Forces. You can have a mix of Army, Navy and Air Force trades as your choices. However, your trade choices have to be all Officer or all NCM. You can't mix NCM and Officer trade choices on he application.

As well, you could see Army Supply Techs in Air Force units and Navy Cooks in Army field units.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2017, 10:14:12 »
The trifecta would be something like:

1. PLT
2. INF
3. MARS

;D

I'm sure that somewhere in CAF recruiting history, that may have happened. :nod:

Regards
G2G

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2017, 10:24:24 »

1. PLT
2. INF
3. MARS

;D

I'm sure that somewhere in CAF recruiting history, that may have happened. :nod:

Regards
G2G

It's usually:

1. Pilot
2. MARS
3. Armoured

There's just something about us "PLT-MARS-ARMD" types that wants to be riding a death bringer into battle and not to actually be the death bringer marching into battle.

Marching sucks.
“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2017, 21:02:20 »

1. PLT
2. INF
3. MARS

;D

Regards
G2G

Unless you're in the reserves where infantry is where all the glory/gory lies :)