Author Topic: Pay Raise (2014 - 2016) & Back Pay  (Read 144104 times)

Offline Transporter

• Rate Post
Pay Raise (2014 - 2016) & Back Pay
« on: January 13, 2014, 15:52:19 »
Has anyone seen/heard anything on the annual 1 Apr pay increase for this year (2014)? Any thoughts on what it might be? I'm guessing 1.5%.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Let me check my Giveashitometer. Nope, nothing.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Airborne Electronic Sensor Operators - AES OP
Re: 1 Apr 14 Pay Increase
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 16:07:53 »
I was on the CANFORGEN site today;  nothing on any increase this April.  Or thru the CofC or rumour mill or anything.

There isn't an automatic annual pay increase every year.  The last one we got was pre-announced sometime before it came into effect.

???
The only time you have too much gas is when you're on fire.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 16:15:25 »
Given most public service collective agreements, against which CF pay is benchmarked, expire in 2014, I suspect the 1 Apr 2014 pay increase announcement will be delayed pending resolution of those agreements.  (I have been wrong in the past, so take it with a grain of salt).

That said, given the government wants to keep a tight control on increases (and, indeed, is directing all departments to pay any increases out of their existing baseline, and not providing increases to fund that inflation), I doubt anything will be above 2%.  (Note that Stats Can says the November (annualized) inflation rate was 0.9%.  Pension contributions have gone up 0.6% this year for part I of the CFSA; so a 1.5% increase would be breaking even.  However, if you're below maximum IPC for your rank you'll see some real growth in income).
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Sunnyns

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 17:29:51 »
We should be getting a raise, I just got the letter from CFHA saying our rent was going up.   ;D   the two seem to go hand in hand.

I've not heard anything though.

Offline my72jeep

• It is the duty of all canadians to be prepared to defend thier country
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 17:59:14 »
I was on the CANFORGEN site today;  nothing on any increase this April.  Or thru the CofC or rumour mill or anything.

There isn't an automatic annual pay increase every year.  The last one we got was pre-announced sometime before it came into effect.

???
This...... Remember the dark years no pay increase for 5+ years.
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 18:14:35 »
This...... Remember the dark years no pay increase for 5+ years.

Yes....And if your timing sucks, those would be included towards your best years being counted towards your Pension....... :'(  Now that really would suck.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 18:16:53 »
Hopefully any increase won't be an excuse to take some benefit away.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Transporter

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 18:30:37 »
Given most public service collective agreements, against which CF pay is benchmarked, expire in 2014, I suspect the 1 Apr 2014 pay increase announcement will be delayed pending resolution of those agreements.  (I have been wrong in the past, so take it with a grain of salt).

That said, given the government wants to keep a tight control on increases (and, indeed, is directing all departments to pay any increases out of their existing baseline, and not providing increases to fund that inflation), I doubt anything will be above 2%.  (Note that Stats Can says the November (annualized) inflation rate was 0.9%.  Pension contributions have gone up 0.6% this year for part I of the CFSA; so a 1.5% increase would be breaking even.  However, if you're below maximum IPC for your rank you'll see some real growth in income).
You've used some of the same logic that I used but did not so eloquently enunciate in my post for coming up with the 1.5% increase estimate... and I agree that it will likely be far beyond 1 Apr 14 if/when we see anything for this year.   

Offline PuckChaser

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 18:51:43 »
Hopefully any increase won't be an excuse to take some benefit away.

We'll have something bargained away by PSAC, I'm sure.  ::)

Offline George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 18:53:12 »

When they bargained away Severance Pay, they didn't leave much to bargain away next time.   >:D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Transporter

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 19:00:57 »
When they bargained away Severance Pay, they didn't leave much to bargain away next time.   >:D
They better not F*** with the pension... that would be really really bad...

Offline George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 19:01:53 »

Don't go there.

Offline Transporter

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 19:05:35 »
Have I mentioned lately how much a love having my compensation and benefits be an afterthought to the public service collective bargaining process? Makes me feel soooo special.

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 19:13:58 »

I'd imagine we would be grandfathered in if that happened?
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline PuckChaser

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 19:17:14 »

Its PSAC, I'm sure they'll find something that I'll get to hear about at a stupid picket line.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 19:56:17 »
I think there are a lot of misconceptions about the notion of "PSAC bargaining away severance".  As I understand it, Treasury Board went into negotiations with PSAC expressing very clearly that it was going to be either layoffs, or lose severance.  Apparently sufficient evidence was presented to the union that this was a credible threat.  Consequent negotiations with other unions during collective bargaining had the elimination of severance as a "pre-condition" to all other issues being discussed, and that failure to agree on severance would result in an impasse before negotiations even started.

As far as the pension goes, don't blame anything on the unions if it happens.  The government has made it clear what's on the agenda, and if a change to a defined-contribution pension happens, it won't be because the Public Service agreed to it.

As has been said elsewhere on the forum, CF members should be happy (for the most part) that their pay and benefits are tied to that of the Public Service.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 20:13:08 »
I'd imagine we would be grandfathered in if that happened?

Unless you signed a new TOS after the changes...

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 20:17:55 »
Unless you signed a new TOS after the changes...

Not likely.  It would probably only apply to new hires.

When they rolled out the last changes to the CF pension (specifically the 20 ----> 25 year requirement for an unreduced pension), that didn't change your benefits, it only made you have to serve longer to draw on them.  Changing from defined benefit to defined contribution would result in a significant change in benefits.

edit:  oops...reversed "contribution" and "benefit" in the last sentence.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 20:32:22 by Occam »

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 20:19:47 »
Well....let's hope we don't have to find out!   ;D

God knows, the way things have changed in the past several years. I'd not be surprised by anything at this point.

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

is back. Still says fitness, not drugs.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 20:26:43 »
Have I mentioned lately how much a love having my compensation and benefits be an afterthought to the public service collective bargaining process? Makes me feel soooo special.

Yea,...must really suck to be able to get wage increases without having to risk a friggin' cent of your own money while on a picket line.  Give your head a shake......
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline PuckChaser

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 21:04:43 »
Yea,...must really suck to be able to get wage increases without having to risk a friggin' cent of your own money while on a picket line.  Give your head a shake......

We're not allowed to picket, as I'm sure you know. You can bet there'd be quite a few CF members willing to risk their money on a picket line to get better compensation and benefits, after all, we're expected to have to risk our lives right?

Offline Transporter

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 21:09:26 »
I don't have anything against the public service or public service unions. I do, however, take exception to the notion that I should be thankful for the fact that whatever I get as compensation or benefits for my military service is linked to the success or failure of the public service collective bargaining process. You give your head a shake. 

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

is back. Still says fitness, not drugs.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 21:17:16 »
In my line of work we used to have 'binding arbritation" and then Bob Rae was "kind" enough to give us the right to strike.......careful what you wish for Gentlemen.

Be thankful someone else does your dirty work.....
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Transporter

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 21:26:02 »
In my line of work we used to have 'binding arbritation" and then Bob Rae was "kind" enough to give us the right to strike.......careful what you wish for Gentlemen.

Be thankful someone else does your dirty work.....
I can flip that argument on you. You be thankful that I do the dirty work that allows you to do your dirty work without fear of being shipped off to the Gulag. Which is more important? I get the point you're trying to make however, and I know that for good or bad, that's how it works. But I don't have to like it or be guilted into feeling thankful for it.

Offline Infanteer

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 21:39:20 »
I can flip that argument on you. You be thankful that I do the dirty work that allows you to do your dirty work without fear of being shipped off to the Gulag. Which is more important? I get the point you're trying to make however, and I know that for good or bad, that's how it works. But I don't have to like it or be guilted into feeling thankful for it.

Ooooooohhh, look at that.  The "respect me because I stand on the wall" argument....
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr