Author Topic: Remembrance Day  (Read 48734 times)

Offline matthew709

• Rate Post
Remembrance Day
« on: November 11, 2013, 06:32:46 »
happy veterans day to all our Canadian veterans! I have so much respect and appreciation for all members of the Canadian forces and I will be one soon :cdn: :salute: :yellow:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 15:07:04 by kratz »

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: Happy veterans day
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 07:01:20 »
I guess ~ I hope, really ~ that you're an American.

We don't have a Veterans' Day in Canada, and what we "celebrate,"* today, is Remembrance Day, and it is nothing about which there is any reason to be happy.

_____
* I use that term in its religious sense.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline matthew709

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 07:10:03 »
I didn't mean it like that..

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 07:22:28 »
If, as you suggest, you want to be in the CF you will discover that we value people who can express themselves accurately, briefly and clearly. Perhaps, if you cannot say what you think, your should a) reconsider your career choices - may burger flipping is more your speed; or b) pay a whole lot more attention in junior high school.

You can change my (low) opinion of you by telling us what you do mean.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline Lightguns

• Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 07:43:27 »
You know we are bleeding people like crazy here. Somehow equating his lack of military ethos knowledge with his career choices is un-helpful at best.  Your future pension payment depend partially on current enlistments and seriously there is huge pool of military ethos qualified teenagers out there.  No prospect should meet a scathing rebuke on his first contact with the military.

Matthew

Thank you.  As stated it is Remembrance Day and it is an act of remembrance.  Once you are a part of us you understand.  Good luck!
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 07:49:43 »
You know we are bleeding people like crazy here. Somehow equating his lack of military ethos knowledge with his career choices is un-helpful at best.  Your future pension payment depend partially on current enlistments and seriously there is huge pool of military ethos qualified teenagers out there.  No prospect should meet a scathing rebuke on his first contact with the military.

Matthew

Thank you.  As stated it is Remembrance Day and it is an act of remembrance.  Once you are a part of us you understand.  Good luck!

I disagree, respectfully. I understand your sympathy for a young person who makes a silly mistake, but I think it is misplaced.

Thinking before speaking is a pretty fundamental skill. He should learn to do it.
----------

Offline matthew709

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 07:53:12 »
I meant happy veterans day in the way of its a time to remember and show appreciation to our veterans. Not like woohoo! army yea!! like some child.. Its not so much a celebratory occasion as it is a solam one but that doesn't mean you can't be proud and have some positive aspect too it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:56:21 by matthew709 »

Offline matthew709

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 07:54:15 »
E.R, me "misspeaking" isn't the same as you misunderstanding.

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 08:02:27 »
E.R, me "misspeaking" isn't the same as you misunderstanding.

:facepalm:

Just stop. Please.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Towards_the_gap

• 'Just tell your wife, that she owes your life, to a muddy old engineer'
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 09:04:06 »
I meant happy veterans day in the way of its a time to remember and show appreciation to our veterans. Not like woohoo! army yea!! like some child.. Its not so much a celebratory occasion as it is a solam one but that doesn't mean you can't be proud and have some positive aspect too it.

You should have learned in school that today is not about veterans at all. It is about the fallen, those who didn't make it home. Not slapping every dude/dudette in uniform on the back in an attempt to join the SOT bandwagon.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 09:09:11 »
You should have learned in school that today is not about veterans at all. It is about the fallen, those who didn't make it home. Not slapping every dude/dudette in uniform on the back in an attempt to join the SOT bandwagon.

Perhaps that is why the "White Poppy" crowd of university students have their misunderstanding of the day.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 10:30:16 »
Perhaps this thread can be re-titled for anyone wanting to pay their respects?

Best wishes to all veterans on this forum for Remembrance Day.

And best wishes for US Veterans' Day to all our American veteran friends.

Thank you for your service.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 10:32:52 by S.M.A. »
Our Country
--------------------------------
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves."   - Lao Zi (老子)
-------------------------------------------
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 10:45:20 »
I've just returned from my local Remembrance Day service.  While the crowd was not too bad, I did notice that there were no Second World War veterans in attendance.  The few I do know here are not in the best of health now and I suppose I won't see many if any of the old guard in future services.  It saddens me to think of how fast they're slipping away nowadays.
* and not one white poppy or idiot in sight...

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:31:25 by jollyjacktar »

Offline Tank Troll

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 11:03:48 »
jollyjacktar you are right there seems to to be less and less WWII vets every year. There was only 1 Down in Lunenburg last year and he said the only reason he was out was because the weather was so warm. My Dad hasn't gone to one in may years for the same reason.
I know the voices in my head are not real...............but Damn they have some good ideas

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 11:17:07 »
My dad's been gone for 28 years now.  It would have been his 100th birthday last Monday.  Every day in the Chronicle Herald I see a veteran or two or three in the obits it seems.

Offline marinemech

• Rate Post
    • NAVY.CA
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 12:11:16 »
Went to the Ceremony at the Dartmouth Cenotaph, easily a few thousand people standing out in the raw wind coming off the harbour, lots of current service members, and a fair number of veterans. Parking was a interesting, i had to park probably about 1-1.5 kilometers from the cenotaph, and quick march to beat/keep up the parade. Wish i would have snapped some pics.

some video from singing of O Canada http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Raw+Video/ID/2417213956/
photo of the cenotaph http://flic.kr/p/hstWbx

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: Remembrance day
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 13:48:55 »
This year I got to go to my daughter's school here in the NCR as a 'guest of honour' as they were looking for any serving members to show up.  Haven't done anything deserving of the title, but my six year old was pretty thrilled and the kids in general were really happy to have some sailors and airmen on site (happened to be only navy and airforce there) so would do it again.

I think it was probably a lot more meaningful for the kids then the cenotaph ceremonies, as they put a lot of work into the preparations for it.  Still not quite the same, but if nothing else it was a good reminder why I joined, as a lot of kids don't have the opportunity to safely go to school.

Was lucky enough to have an opportunity to visit a number of the military cemeteries in Europe while I was over there.  At the time I was 28, but still had a decade on most of the guys.  Would highly recommend it to anyone who gets the opportunity to see them, for me it really puts Remembrance Day in perspective as to the scope of the sacrifice people have made, and continue to make.

(Tyne Cot cemetary, home to 11,956 Commonwealth servicemen of the First World War)

Lest We Forget

Offline Baz

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 14:16:42 »
For "Armistice" Day I first went to Mons for the noon ceremony;  Canada liberated Mons 11 Nov 1918 so I think its a good enough place to be... Strange they do it at noon though.  Then my son and I drove up to the Museum in Paschendale, it has some good displays.  We passed Polygon Wood and Sanctuary Wood before stopping at Mt Sorel.  We then passed Hooge Crater and Hellfire Corner and had supper on the square in Ypres.  We intended to attend the nightly Last Post at 8pm at Menin Gate, but he was tired so we left our poppies there and headed home.

Didn't go to Tyne Cot, but I was there a couple of months ago when I biked up.

Offline Ice97

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 14:25:21 »
It is sad that each year we have fewer and fewer WWII veterans.  WWII ended almost 70 years ago....so time unfortunately is catching up.  My Grandfather and 3 of my Great Uncles served in WWII.  1 of my Great Uncles was shot down and is buried in Holland.  Even though I was not on parade this year....I still attended the parade in Manotick.  It is important for me to instill the values of why we remember the fallen and their sacrifices and why we attend the ceremonies to my children. 
"We can't stop here....this is bat country"

Offline Towards_the_gap

• 'Just tell your wife, that she owes your life, to a muddy old engineer'
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 14:35:42 »

Thank you for your service.

Sorry, not to nitpick, but you're missing my point. Rememberance Day has feck all to do with my or anyone elses service, it is about the fallen from wars and overseas operations, and ensuring that the memory of their sacrifice ensures. That's it. Save the thanks for Red Fridays.

Offline my72jeep

• It is the duty of all canadians to be prepared to defend thier country
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 14:51:58 »
I've just returned from my local Remembrance Day service.  While the crowd was not too bad, I did notice that there were no Second World War veterans in attendance.  The few I do know here are not in the best of health now and I suppose I won't see many if any of the old guard in future services.  It saddens me to think of how fast they're slipping away nowadays.
* and not one white poppy or idiot in sight...
This year in Wawa we were down to 3 of the old guard Vet's(WW2, Korea) but for the first time ever we had 5 Members still serving 3 of them members of the new guard Vets  (Yugo, Bosnia, Afghanistan.
As for the White Poppy I do believe any that showed would be dealt with quickly.
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline flatlander13

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 15:17:46 »
8,000+ at the service in Saskatoon. Have attended annually for last decade or so and it is always very well done. This year, Korean vets were payed compliments and there were probably about 10 WWII vets in the parade. For a young person who will be swearing in within the next few weeks, this year's service had a whole new meaning.  :salute:

Online Old Sweat

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 15:29:13 »
We probably had 500 at Kemptville with more at the other sites in the Municipality of North Grenville (pop 15,000) in wind, wet snow and chilly conditions. Charles Company was in attendance and did very well.

I told the Mayor and one of the council about how we used to do it before the 1930s. See here: http://www.decorationday.ca/history.htm

Offline matthew709

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 15:44:21 »
Remembrance day ceremonies are usually pretty huge here in St.Johns. Weather was absolute crap here today though so I think it was canceled.

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 15:52:20 »
Remembrance day ceremonies are usually pretty huge here in St.Johns. Weather was absolute crap here today though so I think it was canceled.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/remembrance-day-a-replay-of-our-webcast-1.2422158
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~