Author Topic: General Questions regarding your application [MERGED]  (Read 421923 times)

Offline akm

• Rate Post
Re: General Questions regarding your application [MERGED]
« Reply #825 on: June 02, 2017, 10:27:13 »
Much appreciated, thank you!

Additional questions I was not able to find answers for;

1. Regarding the sections in the application for extracurricular activity, athletic activity, and leadership roles, there is a the chance to briefly elaborate. Should this elaboration be done list-style like a resume, or through short sentences (or is either fine)?

2. If an activity spans multiple of the above categories (eg captain of a sports team, leader of a club) how should it be formatted? Should I have it mentioned in all three, and elaborated in the most relevant section? Or should I only contain it to one specific section, and not mention it at all in the others?

Offline Rockhead084

• Rate Post
Will having had worked in Iraq as a civilian work against me?
« Reply #826 on: July 05, 2017, 16:40:20 »
So i was talking to a recruiter and  he asked me if i had traveled before and i said yes.

I have roughly been to 20 different countries and of course one of those countries was Iraq.  I told him i worked in Oil exploration and that i went there for work because at the time it was the only contract my company could get to keep the company afloat and me employed, at the time.

He said i would more than likely be disqualified from joining the army even though i have a wealth of civilian work experience and multiple technical diplomas in the sciences and technology. I'm also in very good shape, no criminal record at all and have a great credit history but i'm beginning to think that won't matter now.

Why would they automatically disqualify me? Are people who immigrate here from there who then try to join our army in turn denied in the same manner by virtue of being from that area or area similar?

Wouldn't they want somebody who has traveled the world already, earned work experiences in different fields and with a lot of different educational background to join the army in the first place?

Just confused

Thanks

Offline Rockhead084

• Rate Post
« Reply #827 on: July 05, 2017, 17:45:35 »
I still don't understand though, i haven't lived in another country and i don't live abroad. I live in Canada and don't have a criminal record at all.

I've seen that excerpt from the website and i don't think it adequately address's my situation nor did the recruiter who refused to answer more than simply saying only that i would be disqualified help either.

Why would he say i would be disqualified outright without going into detail?

Offline clmarr

• Rate Post
« Reply #828 on: July 12, 2017, 17:31:25 »
I think that is an overly pessimistic (personal) view from the recruiter and I would not be too worried about it if I were you. You will eventually be required to list all your trips abroad and add some explanations if you judge it necessary. They might bring your trip to Iraq on the table during the reliability/pre-security interview and be ready to answer. I have visited over 20 countries as well, some of which are Arab and in the Middle East (no Iraq, Syria or Afghanistan though) and I am not concerned.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:24:37 by clmarr »
Recruiting Center: Ottawa
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Officer/ NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: AVS
Trade Choice 2: AVN
Trade Choice 3: ACS
Online Application: Nov 29, 2016
First Contact: Nov 30, 2016
CFAT: Jan 18, 2017
Lasik surgery: Feb 13, 2017
Reliability Interview / Pre-Security Interview: July 26, 2017
Medical:
Interview:
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Swearing In:
BMQ:

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #829 on: July 12, 2017, 19:50:04 »
Depending on the length of time in those countries, it may or may not be an issue. It's also very relevant that you were in those countries for work reasons, not leisure travel. Work visas means more of a paper trail that the security folks can get access to. There are so many variables for security clearances/preclearances that you'd get a migraine trying to sort it out. Gather all the information you can about each of the trips, including length of stay, where you stayed, why you were there, etc. and provide that when requested.

At the end of the day, your recruiter doesn't make that call, the Ottawa Security folks do. If they deem you will be unable to obtain a security clearance, your application is closed. You'll also note that those people who join from other countries are now Canadian citizens, and went through security screening like you will.